PDA

View Full Version : More robots o' doom

pendell
2012-11-01, 11:10 AM
As seen on Discovery (http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/intruders-beware-homemade-robot-can-shoot-1000-rounds-a-minute-at-intruders.html). I want one!

Coming soon to a minibar near you!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Keld Denar
2012-11-01, 11:23 AM
I'll take two!

noparlpf
2012-11-01, 07:25 PM
As seen on Discovery (http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/intruders-beware-homemade-robot-can-shoot-1000-rounds-a-minute-at-intruders.html). I want one!

Coming soon to a minibar near you!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You're really just trying to convince me to live in a bunker with an EMP generator at the ready, aren't you?

Pokonic
2012-11-01, 07:34 PM
You're really just trying to convince me to live in a bunker with an EMP generator at the ready, aren't you?

Naw, until someone calls the latest in shooty 'bots a "Mr. Gutsy", I will be happy and feel perfectly fine.

The minute that happens, however, I would book for a flight to Siberia.

Zahhak
2012-11-01, 09:34 PM
"Mr. Gutsy"

OK, the reference I'm making to this is a smart mouthed robotic toaster from a HERO game. No idea what's being referenced.

Anyways, the DoD has had these for awhile, they're called UGVs. I'm not surprised that a homemade version has been made. I am surprised though that a homemade one was made before a public version happened though.

pendell
2012-11-02, 09:19 AM

Of course not. These will be our salvation when World War Z kicks off.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Asta Kask
2012-11-02, 10:13 AM
Yeah, but are they any use against zombies? Or against emus, for that matter? Methinks the pellets will just pass through without harm.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-02, 10:15 AM
I for one will not be impressed until they make Bender!

Wardog
2012-11-03, 05:05 AM
I'd prefer my very own Cameron, but until then, that's pretty cool.

And I was amused by the keywords tags on that article:
Tags: Explosions, Guns, Home Security, Killer Robots, Latest Cool Gadgets

The Succubus
2012-11-03, 06:18 PM
Give me one. NOW. Give me an *army* of them!

Mando Knight
2012-11-04, 09:55 AM
Ain't that a cute little gun?

Yora
2012-11-04, 10:09 AM
You could easily equip it with an actual rifle, but then police will be on your doorstep and taking it and you into custody for building a booby trap that kills everything on sight.

Asta Kask
2012-11-04, 10:40 AM
Give me one. NOW. Give me an *army* of them!

I think that would be a terribly bad idea. Anyway, you're a succubus. Don't you want sex robots?

pendell
2012-11-04, 01:08 PM
You could easily equip it with an actual rifle, but then police will be on your doorstep and taking it and you into custody for building a booby trap that kills everything on sight.

I don't think a robot qualifies as a 'booby trap' on the same level as, say, a hand grenade taped to the door would be.

In any case, I would expect the police, if faced with guard robots, would solve the problem by deploying robots of their own. The armed forces use UGVs for finding IEDs. Why should a squishie meatbag be the first person through the door of a house when a tinnie can do just as well?

So... we have guard robots defending against police robots while, presumably, the flesh-and-blood people are somewhere else entirely. *Chuckles*

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Succubus
2012-11-04, 04:15 PM
I think that would be a terribly bad idea. Anyway, you're a succubus. Don't you want sex robots?

Why does no-one ever let me have an army of unstoppable robot minions? ='(

Also heck no, I'm a people person! :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2012-11-04, 04:24 PM
I'd be more impressed if I saw what effects its armaments had and if the thing didn't give the impression it had to stop in order to fire.

I'm rather less confident in their ability to do that before something unfortunate or outright malevolent would occur.

Keld Denar
2012-11-05, 08:48 PM
In any case, I would expect the police, if faced with guard robots, would solve the problem by deploying robots of their own. The armed forces use UGVs for finding IEDs. Why should a squishie meatbag be the first person through the door of a house when a tinnie can do just as well?

Great, so you give them more risk without compensation. Pretty soon, they are going to want to unionize to bargain for fair wages...and maybe they will even want...*gasp* rights?

pendell
2012-11-06, 11:27 AM
Great, so you give them more risk without compensation. Pretty soon, they are going to want to unionize to bargain for fair wages...and maybe they will even want...*gasp* rights?

The intelligence required to roll through a door and shoot anything moving is significantly below human intelligence. I suspect tinnies will not be agitating for wages and rights until we've got much closer to solving the strong AI problem. It's not like our cars go on strike or robot drones demand a day off over Tahiti or what not.

If it should ever happen that a human-level intelligence AI existed that had a significant military capability, I suspect it'll be *us* demanding the rights from *them*.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Traab
2012-11-06, 10:22 PM
Just thought I would insert the obligatory link of the eventual end of the robot protection route http://cavebabble.pnrnetworks.popcornnroses.com/files/2011/02/ed209.jpg

pendell
2012-11-07, 07:53 AM
Just thought I would insert the obligatory link of the eventual end of the robot protection route http://cavebabble.pnrnetworks.popcornnroses.com/files/2011/02/ed209.jpg

I remind you that one of our erstwhile members on the hurricane thread had to chase away thieves with a hatchet. He may still be living a brutal lord-of-the-flies existence in NJ. I should think one of these babies would be just what the doctor ordered to solve that particular problem. I'd certainly rather fight with ingenuity than with my own muscle power!

Of course, having the robot doing the fighting means I don't get any XP for the thieves ....

Respectfully,

Brian P.

The Succubus
2012-11-07, 10:37 AM
While you make a fine point, would you not rather have a robot of that size working on reconstruction? Being able to work through the night with mechanical precision would greatly accelerate rebuilding.

Or at least it would right up to the point where somebody pinched it. =/

Traab
2012-11-07, 11:58 AM
While you make a fine point, would you not rather have a robot of that size working on reconstruction? Being able to work through the night with mechanical precision would greatly accelerate rebuilding.

Or at least it would right up to the point where somebody pinched it. =/

I would not want that robot working on construction. Those things are dead clumsy and have gun arms. That makes it rather hard to use a hammer. I suppose they could be altered into miniguns that shoot nails. "Ok Ed! Ive got the drywall up, tack it down!" "COMPLYING!"