PDA

View Full Version : How to fool alignment based spells

Hirax
2012-11-01, 11:36 AM
Suppose I cast greater visage of the deity, which grants evil characters the half-fiend template and good characters the half-celestial template, and has no specified change for neutral clerics. Suppose that as a result of my alignment I acquire the half-fiend template, without any choice in the matter. Yet if I scribe a scroll of said spell, I can UMD it to instead turn into a half-celestial (and if I had a half-fiend casting already active, I can have both!). Obviously scribing or acquiring scrolls for this purpose isn't desirable, though. What better ways are there to make a spell think you're good or evil (we'll overlook the spell specifying cleric).

KillianHawkeye
2012-11-01, 01:10 PM
Well, Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend templates don't grant the [Good] or [Evil] subtypes, so they shouldn't have any effect on alignment-detecting spells. You're going to have to try something else.

Cruiser1
2012-11-01, 01:26 PM
Obviously scribing or acquiring scrolls for this purpose isn't desirable, though. What better ways are there to make a spell think you're good or evil (we'll overlook the spell specifying cleric).
Indeed, if you can cast Greater Visage of the Deity, a 9th level spell, you should be curb-stomping the multiverse with your Tier 1 character, not caring how others perceive you. :smallwink:

If you want to fool alignment divination spells, simply cast the 2nd level spell Misdirection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/misdirection.htm), and have a good/evil magic item at hand to replace your aura with. You now appear to have a good/evil aura even if your real aura is opposite.

Acanous
2012-11-01, 08:58 PM
Technically speaking, if you scribe a scroll of the spell, then Use Magic Device to change your alignment when casting, it would give you whichever template you wanted.

Telonius
2012-11-02, 07:20 AM
The "Smoking Eye Creature" template from Shackled City will do it (though it's adventure path-specific).

nedz
2012-11-02, 01:38 PM
6+ levels of Horizon Walker could do it, but that would be a bit of a waste for a Wizard.

Hirax
2012-11-02, 02:07 PM
To be clear, I wasn't looking so much for ways become immune to such spells, or make them not register. I'm looking for ways to fool them at the point of casting (when cast by yourself), so as to be able to cast holy word as an evil creature without affecting yourself, dictum as a lawful creature, etc. Or be able to choose the effect of greater visage of the deity and similar spells that have different alignment based results. This would be most useful for archivists, who are able to access all divine spells, which tend to be the ones with variable effects based on alignment.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-02, 02:30 PM
To be clear, I wasn't looking so much for ways become immune to such spells, or make them not register. I'm looking for ways to fool them at the point of casting (when cast by yourself), so as to be able to cast holy word as an evil creature without affecting yourself, dictum as a lawful creature, etc. Or be able to choose the effect of greater visage of the deity and similar spells that have different alignment based results. This would be most useful for archivists, who are able to access all divine spells, which tend to be the ones with variable effects based on alignment.

Unfortunately, most spells like that don't actually care how your alignment registers to detection abilities, and in anycase virtually all of the spells that mask your alignment have a clause about you being affected by alignment targetting spells regardless of their presence.

nedz
2012-11-02, 04:36 PM
Horizon Walker - Planer Terrain Mastery - Aligned Planes will do this.