PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Demonic Warlock

Burley
2012-11-01, 02:30 PM
So, I'm playin' my warlock and I get this great ring of fast healing 1. Whoo, right? Well, I'm now sharing my body with a demon.

But, turns out, because we're in a campaign that utilizes taint, it's actually pretty fun. The rest of the group is sort of embracing the chaotic nature of the campaign, and we often tread on the darker side of neutral.

Now, I've been informed that we'll hit 6th level tonight. On my new path toward hellfire, I'm going to gradually let this demon's bloodlust come out.

I already have the Mortalbane feat, but I lust for more blood. Any suggestions?

(Please suppose that splashing levels of binder or taking incarnum feats are out. We haven't happened upon them in our multiverse.)

Winds
2012-11-01, 02:37 PM
You could go for literal bloodlust with the Eldritch Glaive blast shape. I don't own Complete Mage, which is the book I recall it being in, but I'm told it allows iterative attacks with your blast.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-01, 02:46 PM
Eldritch Glaive is from Dragon Magic actually, and at level 6 it would be next to useless since you would have to spend a full round action (not full attack) to do 1 attack within 10 feet. Until you get your iterative attacks Eldritch Glaive isn't worth it.

I suggest you look into someway to avoid the worst penalties from taint, becoming a Necropolitan is the easiest way to keep the goodies and froget about the penalties that I remember.

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 02:46 PM
Violate Spell-Like Ability. I cannot stress this enough. Vile Damage KILLS

EDIT: I'm curious how the Tainted Scholar would interact with the Warlock? :smallconfused: (besides poorly by RAW).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-01, 02:52 PM
I don't have HoH at hand right now; but IIRC a pure Warlock can't enter Tainted Scholar at all; but a "normal" arcanist with a dip in warlock could use Tainted scholar's +1 level of casting to advance warlock. Although by RAW almost all of it's class feature wouldn't work since they refer to spells, not spell like abilities.

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 03:00 PM
I don't have HoH at hand right now; but IIRC a pure Warlock can't enter Tainted Scholar at all; but a "normal" Arcanist with a dip in warlock could use Tainted scholar's +1 level of casting to advance warlock. Although by RAW almost all of it's class feature wouldn't work since they refer to spells, not spell like abilities.

If I taking a dip in Warlock to advance my Warlock Casting, I'd be anything BUT special. I'd be down right AWESOME :smallcool:

On a more serious note, you could advance the Warlocks Invocations and still gain the benefits of being a Wizard since I'd have Wizard levels... but that isn't important right now :smalltongue: This thread did inspire me for a Warlock I wanna try out (A Binder/Warlock/Anima Invoker*/HellFire whose Eldritch Blast change appearance with each different Binding... Sounds like it would be cool)

*Adaptation.

Psyren
2012-11-01, 03:14 PM
In the absence of Incarnum or Binding, get/craft a wand of lesser restoration instead. This will allow you to burn up your Con during the fight and repair it afterward cheaply. Deceive Item will allow you to easily do it during combat if you absolutely need to.

Fable Wright
2012-11-01, 05:49 PM
Consider Obtain Familiar. You have a Caster Level, so you qualify, and later on the Familiar can use UMD to activate magic items in combat to heal you ability damage. The fluff? The demon chose to take over a smaller creature, to give it reach outside of your body. Later, if you don't want to just use it to heal, you could grab Improved Familiar for a Quasit (or demonic equivalent) as your familiar, a small avatar of your possessing demon.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-01, 06:07 PM
Quasit is the Demon, Imps are devils and there is no equivalency for Daemons AFAIK.

Psyren
2012-11-01, 08:00 PM
Quasit is the Demon, Imps are devils and there is no equivalency for Daemons AFAIK.

Vargouilles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vargouille.htm) are NE - they are a choice for dread necros IIRC.