PDA

View Full Version : Question about improving constructs

Clistenes
2012-11-01, 02:37 PM
Hello, I'm new here and I'm posting because I got a question:

Constructs are cool, but they become useless trash very quick (your wizard spends all his gold and a load of xp to create himself a bodyguard, and two levels later it's a mere hindrance).

My question is, could a mage upgrade his construct bodyguard spending gold and xp to turn his Shield Guardian into a Runic Guardian, his Brass Man into a Nimblewright...etc., that is, giving new powers and HD to his creature to turn it into a similar but more powerful one, the same way you can upgrade weapons and armor?

Arcanist
2012-11-01, 02:50 PM
I can't see why a DM wouldn't just allow you to cannibalize the Golem for it's raw materials (provided you made it) and just use those to make something better :smallconfused:

Clistenes
2012-11-01, 02:59 PM
I can't see why a DM wouldn't just allow you to cannibalize the Golem for it's raw materials (provided you made it) and just use those to make something better :smallconfused:

You would still have wasted a lot of xp for nothing...

I think if you can't upgrade your construct, it seriously discourages people to even try: Take a sword, for example; if you couldn't upgrade your +2 flaming longsword to a +3 flaming holy longsword, taking crafting feats would look like a much less attractive option.

Doorhandle
2012-11-01, 04:46 PM
You would still have wasted a lot of xp for nothing...

I think if you can upgrade you construct, it seriously discourages people to even try: Take a sword, for example; if you couldn't upgrade your +2 flaming longsword to a +3 flaming holy longsword, taking crafting feats would look like a much less attractive option.

Way I see it, you would likely need the feat to upgrade it in the first place.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-01, 04:47 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

That's a handbook for Constructs... good luck!

Clistenes
2012-11-01, 05:07 PM
Way I see it, you would likely need the feat to upgrade it in the first place.

Do you mean that you would make one of your PCs take a custom feat "Upgrade Construct" in addition to "Craft Construct"?

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177

That's a handbook for Constructs... good luck!

Cool. Thank you. :smallsmile: