PDA

View Full Version : Arris TG862G/CT Modem

LordShotGun
2012-11-01, 07:20 PM
This is perhaps not the best forum to ask questions on, but it is the only one reachable by my phone.

Currently I have just moved into a new house and signed up with comcast/xfinity for internet and TV services and they gave me an Arris TG862G/CT Modem.

It works fine most of the time but has intermittent drops of service that can last anywhere from 30 seconds to nearly an hour. I am using a wired Ethernet connection and a windows 7 operating system.

I don't think it is a wire issue as the signal strength is decent and I just stripped and replaced nearly all my coax cable connections. This leads me to believe it is a modem issue.

I am more of a computer hardware guy (thus owning my own set of wire stripper and cable crimper) and while I know enough about software, this problem has me and my google fu stumped.

Edit: Oh, and the TV service works fine, thus increasing my suspicions that it is not a cable issue.

Gnoman
2012-11-02, 06:01 PM
I had the same problem. The router is attempting to connect to it's own DNS server and failing miserably. Disable the "DNS Override" option in LAN Settings.

LordShotGun
2012-11-02, 09:48 PM
I had the same problem. The router is attempting to connect to it's own DNS server and failing miserably. Disable the "DNS Override" option in LAN Settings.

Would that be a setting within my modem or would it be in my network connections? I can't find that setting in the modem or the network connection but I may have looked in the wrong place for the network.

Gnoman
2012-11-02, 09:51 PM
It's in the LAN page of your modem config, usually. This brand of modem changes the config page fairly often even when the actual model doesn't change.