PDA

View Full Version : MAX Damage?

jack101
2012-11-01, 11:26 PM
What is the max damage a Lvl. 1 can do? (prefferably core)

Cranthis
2012-11-01, 11:35 PM
Well, assuming the pc has a mount and a lance at level one, and spirited charge, they can do maximum 72.

Acanous
2012-11-01, 11:41 PM
a Lance is a D8, Human Fighter gets 3 feats (Mounted combat, Ride-by attack, Spirited Charge) looking at 18 STR, weilding the lance 2 handed...

8+4+2= 14
*3= 42
On a Crit, that would actually be 126.

Don't know where the 72 comes from 0.o

Keld Denar
2012-11-01, 11:45 PM
Assuming you mean in a single round? Cause a level 1 commoner with a club could eventually deal massive damage...assuming he spent enough time, and the thing he was hitting didn't hit back...

Otherwise:

Half Orc Wizard 1 with Precocious Apprentice (Whirling Blade) and a 20 Strength. Cast Master's Touch, Magic Weapon, and then Whirling Blade. A +1 Greatsword has 2d6+9 (average 16) for damage, with a +6 to hit. Against a group of foes in a closely clumped group. Assuming AC of 10 (cause why not), that hits on a 4+, or misses 15% of the time. .85*16 is 16.32 average damage, factoring in crits. The maximum number of medium or small foes you could hit with a single Whirling Blade is 120 (two foes next to each other in a 60' line). That would result in 1958.4 damage. If the foes were tiny, you could potentially hit 4 times as many. If you allowed flaws, our wizard could take Sudden Enlarge spell to double the range, doubling the damage. That COULD be as much as 15667.2, I think. AC would go up for size reduction, so it wouldn't EXACTLY be that, but probably still over 12,000 damage.

Do I win?

Cranthis
2012-11-01, 11:47 PM
I didn't factor in a strength bonus. I just multiplied max lance damage by the x3 from mounted charge (spirited charge makes it x3 as opposed to the x2) and x3 for a crit.

DarkestKnight
2012-11-01, 11:54 PM
Do I win?

First of all, I don't think you win so much as the other guy loses. Hard. Also, how much of that is non-core?

Is there a budget on this? Otherwise we could declare that our level one gribbly has an epic sword as the starting point and go from there.

jack101
2012-11-02, 12:02 AM
First of all, I don't think you win so much as the other guy loses. Hard. Also, how much of that is non-core?

Is there a budget on this? Otherwise we could declare that our level one gribbly has an epic sword as the starting point and go from there.

Yeah, got to agree. How about a one round, with about 500gp to start. Mounts will be considered free.

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-02, 12:11 AM
Level one shaper psion with maxed ranks in craft(poisonmaking), a familiar, skill focus, and 18 int. He makes a bunch of Sassone Leaf Residue and dumps it on someone. Assuming a +0 fortitude save modifier (as 10 AC was assumed) the poison does 2d12 damage 75% of the time. That's 37323 damage on average.

Your move Keld.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-02, 12:12 AM
Assuming core includes SRD, any race Psychic Warrior (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psychicWarrior.htm) 1 with Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm) and Up The Walls (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#upTheWalls). Your character plus his gear will need to weigh at least 250 pounds.

Be psionically focused already. Manifest Expansion (standard), run at least 10 ft. up a wall and jump down onto up to four opponents (move). Per the falling object rules in the DMG, each of them takes 20d6 damage, but you don't take any damage at all because jumping down you treat your fall as 10 ft. less for how much damage you take. 20d6 to four opponents is an average of 280 damage.

Keld Denar
2012-11-02, 12:13 AM
He said "preferably core", not MUST BE CORE OR ELSE! There are 3 things that aren't core, all of which are in Complete Arcane, IIRC. Not terribly obscure like Lost Empires of Faerun or anything.

And it's under budget. A simple non-magic greatsword is what, 50 gold? Heck, you could do it from a scroll for that kind of budget, and you wouldn't need Precocious Apprentice.

There weren't really any parameters set, so I made a few. I'd assume a target rich environment like that wouldn't be common, but for the sake of mental masturbation, I think its valid.

After all, that's pretty much all this is, right?

EDIT:

Level one shaper psion with maxed ranks in craft(poisonmaking), a familiar, skill focus, and 18 int. He makes a bunch of Sassone Leaf Residue and dumps it on someone. Assuming a +0 fortitude save modifier (as 10 AC was assumed) the poison does 2d12 damage 75% of the time. That's 37323 damage on average.

Your move Keld.
Do the same thing with a Wilder, get Psionic Minor Creation from Hidden Talent, and then Overchannel/WildSurge/EarthPower that crap. You could hit ML3-4, easily, and triple/quadruple the damage.

Also, wouldn't you get more oomph from Black Lotus Extract and Con damage? It would be HD dependent, but it would be a LOT of lost HP even with mild-moderate HD.

Mithril Leaf
2012-11-02, 12:31 AM
He said "preferably core", not MUST BE CORE OR ELSE! There are 3 things that aren't core, all of which are in Complete Arcane, IIRC. Not terribly obscure like Lost Empires of Faerun or anything.

And it's under budget. A simple non-magic greatsword is what, 50 gold? Heck, you could do it from a scroll for that kind of budget, and you wouldn't need Precocious Apprentice.

There weren't really any parameters set, so I made a few. I'd assume a target rich environment like that wouldn't be common, but for the sake of mental masturbation, I think its valid.

After all, that's pretty much all this is, right?

EDIT:

Do the same thing with a Wilder, get Psionic Minor Creation from Hidden Talent, and then Overchannel/WildSurge/EarthPower that crap. You could hit ML3-4, easily, and triple/quadruple the damage.

Also, wouldn't you get more oomph from Black Lotus Extract and Con damage? It would be HD dependent, but it would be a LOT of lost HP even with mild-moderate HD.

Oh, definitely better at higher levels to use Black Lotus Extract, but at lower levels like that, Sassone Leaf Residue is better for raw damage. Plus it's easier to make.

TuggyNE
2012-11-02, 12:42 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy yet? Warforged Commoner 1 with Chicken Infested can get NI damage. That's right, ECL 1.

Obviously, very little of this is core, so the next challenge is to match that with fewer non-core sources.

tonberrian
2012-11-02, 01:28 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy yet? Warforged Commoner 1 with Chicken Infested can get NI damage. That's right, ECL 1.

Obviously, very little of this is core, so the next challenge is to match that with fewer non-core sources.

Heck, you don't even need the chickens. You can score critical hits on anything, even objects. Whether or not you deal extra damage is another thing entirely, but Blood in the Water stance doesn't care about that. A patient Warforged could, in theory at least, smash apart the planet, so long as he can keep up one crit every 10 rounds. Though statistically it becomes vanishingly rare. Sort of like an infinite number of monkeys at typewriters can eventually recreate the work of William Shakespeare.