PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my Carrion Crown Paladin?

ZDPhoenix
2012-11-02, 12:16 AM
Hey gang, well this Paladin is definitely NOT optimized for Carrion Crown at all. If I would have known about the Knights of Ozem (Paths of Prestige wasn't out when we started), or how many things would have been easier with more careful planning... ugh.

Anyway, reading this forum's given me tons of ideas for new characters; but nothing really to push towards with my current one. Can anyone make some suggestions for which direction to take my character next? Also... What would you have done differently? The DM has entertained us maybe unlearning some feats later one; so the latter does hold weight to me.

Here's the stat block for the character. With proper armor (Adamantine Jousting Plate and Tower Shield), he's at 31 AC (33 against Undead, thanks to Defiant enchant on his shield).

There's no spells selected; as we've house ruled spells away, in favor of more Divine Weapon usage. I am the party's tank; with a very brutal attitude towards monster, especially the Undead of Ustalav.

Vinkolt Olthan
Male Human (Chelaxian) Paladin 8
LG Medium Humanoid (human)
Init +0; Senses Perception +10
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 13, touch 10, flat-footed 13 (+2 armor, +1 natural)
hp 90 (8d10+24)
Fort +14, Ref +8, Will +14
Immune charm, fear, disease
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Keen Adamantine Bastard Sword +14/+9 (1d10+6/17-20/x2) and
Silver Bastard Sword MW +14/+9 (1d10+4/19-20/x2) and
+1 Mace +14/+9 (1d8+6/x2)
Special Attacks smite evil (3/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Detect Evil (At will)
Paladin Spells Prepared (CL 5):
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 20, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 20
Base Atk +8; CMB +13; CMD 23

Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard sword), Reward of Life (5 HP), Shield Focus, Tower Shield Proficiency, Vital Strike

Traits Deft Dodger, Indomitable Faith

Skills Diplomacy +15, Heal +6, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +2, Knowledge (local) +3, Knowledge (religion) +7, Perception +10, Ride +4, Sense Motive +10, Spellcraft +6
Languages Common, Varisian
SQ aura of courage, aura of good, aura of resolve, divine bonds (weapon [1/day]), lay on hands (4d6) (9/day), mercies (mercy [diseased], mercy [sickened]), paladin channel positive energy 4d6 (4/day) (dc 19, variant channeling (protection variant channeling [±2 sacred])
Other Gear +2 Tower shield, Adamantine Sword, xMace, Silver Sword MW, Amulet of natural armor +1, Bracers of armor +2, 44 PP, 5135 GP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Aura of Courage +4 (10' radius) (Su) You are immune to Fear. Allies within aura gain a morale bonus to saves vs Fear.
Aura of Good (Ex) The paladin has an Aura of Good with power equal to her class level.
Aura of Resolve +4 (10' radius) (Su) You are immune to charm. Allies within aura gain a morale bonus to saves vs charm.
Detect Evil (At will) (Sp) You can use Detect Evil at will (as the spell).
Divine Bond (Weapon +2) (8 minutes) (1/day) (Sp) Weapon shines with light and gains enhancement bonuses or chosen properties.
Immune to Charm You are immune to charm effects.
Immune to Fear (Ex) You are immune to all fear effects.
Immunity to Disease You are immune to diseases.
Lay on Hands (4d6) (9/day) (Su) You can heal 4d6 damage, 9/day
Mercy (Diseased) (Su) When you use your lay on hands ability, it also removes disease, as per the remove disease spell at a caster level of your Paladin level.
Mercy (Sickened) (Su) When you use your lay on hands ability, it also removes the sickened condition.
Paladin Channel Positive Energy 4d6 (4/day) (DC 19) (Su) A good cleric can channel positive energy to heal the living and injure the undead; an evil cleric can channel negative energy to injure the living and heal the undead.
Protection Variant Channeling (±2 Sacred) AC bonus/penalty
Reward of Life (5 HP) With each use of lay on hands, gain hit points equal to your Charisma
Shield Focus +1 Shield AC
Smite Evil (3/day) (Su) +5 to hit, +8 to damage, +5 deflection bonus to AC when used.
Vital Strike Standard action: x2 weapon damage dice.
--------------------

Again, thanks for any suggestions in advance!

I'm new to this whole "using forums to discuss builds" thing, so be gentle. :)

ZDPhoenix
2012-11-02, 07:44 PM
Ok, one more shot at redemption, before I just accept I can't optimize him; and deal with vanilla blandness for eternity. :\

Deathkeeper
2012-11-03, 02:39 AM
Well, I would certainly use some real armor and toss those bracers. Also, is it safe to assume you have headbands/belts boosting your scores, because I don't see them in your gear.

Sayt
2012-11-03, 05:31 AM
Is your party running pure Pathfinder or 3.P(Which is so say, is 3.5 material allowed at your table)?

As the above poster said, use your real armour, not the bracers.

You have vital Strike, but not power attack? Is there any reason for that, cause generally you need a pretty good reason NOT to take it. Futhermore, Vital strike is a bad feat. You can't use it on a charge, you can't combine it with cleave, you're almost always better off going for flat damage over buckets of dice on non-magical attacks.

For Pathfinder melee, first two feats I'd ever take are Power Attack And Furious Focus for a two handed fighter.

If I was going Sword and Board, I'd stick with a Longsword or equivalent 1h martial, I'd go heavy shield instead of tower, because Tower Shield's penalty is lame and you can't shield bash with it. I'd Go Two Weapon Fighter and Improved Shield Bash.

Get the Unsanctioned Knowledge (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=006680642033474972217%3A6zo0hx_wle8&q=Unsanctioned+Knowledge#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Unsanctioned%20Knowledge&gsc.page=1), and grab yourself True Strike, Align Weapon, Haste and Divine Power for your spell list. If you can access 3.5 materiel, grab Battle Blessing from Complete Champion.

Edit: I forgot to mention. For Carrion Crown, I'd definitely consider the Oath Against Undeath (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/oathbound-paladin/oath-against-undeath) or Undead Scourge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/undead-scourge), unfortunately you can't take both archetypes.

Furthermore, One might consider The Holy Vindicator (APG) If you don't mind the reduced casting and lack of smite progression/fancier auras.

ZDPhoenix
2012-11-03, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys!

So far, I'm getting ditch the bastard sword and tower shield. I guess going longsword isn't too deep of a cut in dmg. And Heavy shields do have much better enchants available!

Also, I should get cleave and ditch vital strike. I didn't realize how useless it really is (and looking back, I've used it once).

What about Reward of Life? Worthless? Switch it out for Power Attack?

As stated, I don't use spells (as per our home brew on alt. divine weapon powers), so spells and spell feats won't help me. My Plate armor (+11, after bonuses) isn't equipped in the stat block; but regardless, I should look into better enchants and ditch the bracers and and amulet?

Thanks again, gang!