PDA

View Full Version : Best Animal Companion: PF

Xander96
2012-11-02, 08:45 AM
I know Treatmonk when he created his guide of rangers said that the cheetah/leopard was the best animal companion for a ranger.

There have been more books released since then.

Has this changed at all or is the cheetah/leopard still the best option?

Thanks guys!

Greecy
2012-11-02, 05:10 PM
I don't know about best but my personal favorite is the Constrictor.

Pros: Highest Str out of all companions after advancement, Large, Swim and Climb speeds, scent, Grab ability, Constrict.
Cons: All 3 movement types are 20', low Nat. Armor (+3), Only has 1 Natural weapon (Bite 1d4), Only 1 Int.

I prefer the grapplers over trippers because some enemies cannot be tripped or get bonuses vs trip. The one natural attack isn't all that bad since he gets 1.5x STR with it. 1 Int sucks because ACs with 3 or more Int can take any feat they are physically capable of using, not just the ones listed in the animal feat section, which means you are not going to be able to take Imp/Grt Grapple unless you spend 2 ability increases on Int (Though the grab ability already give a +4 bonus to grapple on top of the free attempt after a successful bite attack). Also, some people don't like Large size companions as they can get in the way, I like Large companions though.
They are good for sticking to one person and taking them down, especially casters.

roguemetal
2012-11-02, 05:32 PM
For Rangers? I know that UM offers Vermin which are pretty useful being that they are mindless, often have tremor-sense/darkvision and some good tricks... but they specify "a Druid" so I'm not sure you can get away with it.

Stone Heart
2012-11-03, 04:49 AM
For Rangers? I know that UM offers Vermin which are pretty useful being that they are mindless, often have tremor-sense/darkvision and some good tricks... but they specify "a Druid" so I'm not sure you can get away with it.

According to the Devs, unless a new animal companion specifically calls out that the ranger can use it (Roc for instance) they cannot (Last I checked, for all I know they could have made a new ruling since then).

I happen to be fond of the roc as after 7th level you can ride them. Rangers also have access (with the Sable Company Marine archetype) to Hippogriffs.