PDA

View Full Version : Party design challenge

Ashtagon
2012-11-02, 09:20 AM
You have four characters with which to build a well-rounded party. One must cover each of the classic four niches (defender/blocker, striker, buffer/healer, and controller). The catch?

"All-monk party"
First level must be monk.
No levels can be taken in a full-caster class. For this purpose, full-caster is defined as any class in which the majority of its levels improve the character's spellcasting or psionic manifesting ability.
No Magic of Incarnum. No Tome of Magic. No Dragon Magic, Draconomicon. No sourcebooks that are tied to a campaign setting. (nb. Tome of Battle is okay).
No class that gives proficiency in heavy armour.
At any given character level, 50% or more or the base class levels must be in the monk class. Subject to qualifying, there is no level-counting limitation on prestige classes.
Show builds for party at level 6 and level 10.

good luck!

Runestar
2012-11-02, 11:06 AM
Try playing around with lvs in monk, swordsage and shadow sun ninja. With setting sun, you can do battlefield control, healing, and tank indirectly (by not getting hit).

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19548982/Breaking_the_4_Boxes:_Share_Your_Experiences.

Read this article, namely the sample npcs in the first post for more info. :smallsmile:

prufock
2012-11-02, 08:09 PM
I'm assuming elite array for all builds. Should all be legal assuming I interpreted your note on prestige classes correctly (that they don't count against the 1/2 monk rule).

Skill Monkey/Striker
Human or Halfling Monk 3/Factotum 3, Monk 5/Factotum 4/Swashbuckler 1
Feats: Able Learner (Human only), Kung Fu Genius, Font of Inspiration x 2 (3 at lvl 10)
Monk Bonus Feats: Stunning Fist, Deflect Arrows
Str 8 (6 if halfling), Dex 14 (16 if Halfling), Con 13 (14 at level 10), Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Pump up your Int score in every conceivable way, go to town. Use those Inspiration Points for skill checks, sneak attack damage, attack rolls, saves, EVERYTHING.

Controller/Debuffer
Dragonborn Spellscale Monk 3/Warlock 3, Monk 3/Warlock 3/Enlightened Fist 4
Feats: Combat Casting, whatever else (Extra Invocations?)
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 15 (16 at 10th), Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
You care about Cha because you're actually using debuffing invocations. Wis? Pffft, wear armor!

Buffer/Healer
Since full-casting classes are out:
Gnome Monk 3/Divine Bard 3, Monk 3/Divine Bard 3/Sacred Fist 4
Feats: Combat Casting, Words of Creation, Touch of Healing
Monk Bonus Feats: Stunning Fist, Combat Reflexes
Str 6, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 15 (16 at 10th), Cha 12
Cure spells are known for you, you can heal usng Touch of Healing all day long. Buff with Inspirational Boost and Words of Creation, along with Badge of Valor and Vest of Legends when you can afford it.

Defender/Tank
Goliath Passive Way Monk 4/Barbarian 1 (Mountain Rage version), Monk 4/Barbarian 2/Exotic Weapon Master 3
Requires an alignment shift.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain), Stunning Fist
Monk Bonus Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Get Trip Attack, Flurry of Strikes, and Stunning Blow as your EWM abilities.

I'll be the first to admit this isn't highly optimized.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-02, 11:19 PM
defender/blocker
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk, Mineral Warrior (bought off), Monk 3/ Warblade 3; Monk 5/ Warblade 5
Entangling Exhalation, Ability Focus: Breath, Stone Power, feats that benefit a martial character. Monk feats are Stunning Fist and Combat Reflexes.
Keep all opponents entangled the entire encounter. Use martial strikes between breaths.

striker
Whisper Gnome, Were-Serval (Sandstorm), fractional BAB, Monk 2/ Animal HD 1/ Warblade 1/ LA +2; Monk 4/ Animal HD 1/ Warblade 1/ Warshaper 2/ LA +2 (one LA bought off, then upgrading afflicted to natural by spending a level per any (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) were (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031114a) creature (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a))
Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Monk feats should be Stunning Fist and Combat Reflexes. Attack routine is pounce, claw, claw, bite, rake, rake, unarmed strike, unarmed strike -5. Get Armbands of Might and Power Attack + Leap Attack for -2 for +8 damage on each of those.

buffer/healer
Assuming your definition of 'full casting' includes anything that gets a caster/manifester level equal to its class level, including Bard, Psychic Warrior, Adept, etc., the only eligible classes to actually cast healing spells would be Paladin and Ranger. I was thinking Paladin with the Harmonious Knight sub levels and draconic auras for this, but Harmonious Knight is in a web enhancement for a FR book and draconic auras are in Dragon Magic.

Desert Dwarf, Monk 3/ Dragon Shaman 3; Monk 5/ Dragon Shaman 5. Max UMD.
Entangling Exhalation and Ability Focus: Breath, probably Shield Specialization and Shield Ward.
Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration to fix physical ability damage, Wands of Cure Light Wounds to heal up between encounters. Everyone should definitely wear a Healing Belt.

controller
My first thought for this was a Hatchling Phaerimm with full casting PrCs, since it would get Sorcerer casting equal to its class levels plus what the PrCs increase it by, but then remembered that Phaerimm are setting-specific. Then I figured I'd go with a fear-effect-stacking build, but then I realized that nearly every viable fear ability is attached to something that you arbitrarily banned. Then I figured Artificer would be a good fit, but that's from Eberron...

Whisper Gnome, Monk 3/ Spellthief 1/ Hexblade 2; Monk 5/ Spellthief 1/ Hexblade 4
Silencing Strike, Extra Silence, whatever else.
Tons and tons of wands, you can use wands of any Wizard spells from the abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation schools completely unhindered with just a single level of Spellthief. You can use wands of any Hexblade spell with a single level in that. Once you get even a single arcane spell slot you can use Eternal Wands of any arcane spell in the game regardless of what spell list it's from.

Worst. Party. Ever.

Ashtagon
2012-11-03, 01:58 AM
My comments are indented in blue.

I'm assuming elite array for all builds. Should all be legal assuming I interpreted your note on prestige classes correctly (that they don't count against the 1/2 monk rule).

Yes, that's the correct interpretation on the level rule. Prestige class levels don't count.

Skill Monkey/Striker
Human or Halfling Monk 3/Factotum 3, Monk 5/Factotum 4/Swashbuckler 1
Feats: Able Learner (Human only), Kung Fu Genius, Font of Inspiration x 2 (3 at lvl 10)
Str 8 (6 if halfling), Dex 14 (16 if Halfling), Con 13 (14 at level 10), Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 12
Pump up your Int score in every conceivable way, go to town. Use those Inspiration Points for skill checks, sneak attack damage, attack rolls, saves, EVERYTHING.

Looks good.

Controller/Debuffer
Dragonborn Spellscale Monk 3/Warlock 3, Monk 3/Warlock 3/Enlightened Fist 4
Feats: Combat Casting, whatever else (Extra Invocations?)
Str 8, Dex 12, Con 15 (16 at 10th), Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
You care about Cha because you're actually using debuffing invocations. Wis? Pffft, wear armor!

Looks good. Warlock took me by surprise, but it's legal for this. It's probably the best way to make a controller under the restrictions.

Buffer/Healer
Since full-casting classes are out:
Gnome Monk 3/Divine Bard 3, Monk 3/Divine Bard 3/Sacred Fist 4
Feats: Combat Casting, Words of Creation, Touch of Healing
Str 6, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 15 (16 at 10th), Cha 12
Cure spells are known for you, you can heal usng Touch of Healing all day long. Buff with Inspirational Boost and Words of Creation, along with Badge of Valor and Vest of Legends when you can afford it.

Divine bard is out, due to my quirky definition of a full-caster class ("any class that advances spell-casting or manifesting ability for the majority of its levels). Note that this does mean you could take paladin or ranger up to level five.

Defender/Tank
Goliath Passive Way Monk 4/Barbarian 1 (Mountain Rage version), Monk 4/Barbarian 2/Exotic Weapon Master 3
Requires an alignment shift.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Weapon Focus (Spiked Chain), Stunning Fist
Monk Bonus Feats: Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Get Trip Attack, Flurry of Strikes, and Stunning Blow as your EWM abilities.

I'll be the first to admit this isn't highly optimized.

Where is the mountain rage barbarian from? The alignment shift was unexpected, but it's fine for the campaign I have in mind.

defender/blocker
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk, Mineral Warrior (bought off), Monk 3/ Warblade 3; Monk 5/ Warblade 5
Entangling Exhalation, Ability Focus: Breath, Stone Power, feats that benefit a martial character. Monk feats are Stunning Fist and Combat Reflexes.
Keep all opponents entangled the entire encounter. Use martial strikes between breaths.

Mineral warrior is from a FR-specific rulebook, so it isn't legal for this campaign.

striker
Whisper Gnome, Were-Serval (Sandstorm), fractional BAB, Monk 2/ Animal HD 1/ Warblade 1/ LA +2; Monk 4/ Animal HD 1/ Warblade 1/ Warshaper 2/ LA +2 (one LA bought off, then upgrading afflicted to natural by spending a level per any (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) were (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031114a) creature (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) template (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a))
Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Monk feats should be Stunning Fist and Combat Reflexes. Attack routine is pounce, claw, claw, bite, rake, rake, unarmed strike, unarmed strike -5. Get Armbands of Might and Power Attack + Leap Attack for -2 for +8 damage on each of those.

While magic items exist in the campaign, it is a magic-poor campaign, so magic markets don't exist (alchemical items are fair game, however). Build can't rely on having a specific magic item.

Also, I'm totally not seeing how those links let you upgrade afflicted to natural by spending a level.

buffer/healer
Assuming your definition of 'full casting' includes anything that gets a caster/manifester level equal to its class level, including Bard, Psychic Warrior, Adept, etc., the only eligible classes to actually cast healing spells would be Paladin and Ranger. I was thinking Paladin with the Harmonious Knight sub levels and draconic auras for this, but Harmonious Knight is in a web enhancement for a FR book and draconic auras are in Dragon Magic.

Desert Dwarf, Monk 3/ Dragon Shaman 3; Monk 5/ Dragon Shaman 5. Max UMD.
Entangling Exhalation and Ability Focus: Breath, probably Shield Specialization and Shield Ward.
Get a Rod of Bodily Restoration to fix physical ability damage, Wands of Cure Light Wounds to heal up between encounters. Everyone should definitely wear a Healing Belt.

Looks good. As noted earlier, you can't count on getting specific magic items. Two levels of paladin may also help for the lay on hands ability.

controller
My first thought for this was a Hatchling Phaerimm with full casting PrCs, since it would get Sorcerer casting equal to its class levels plus what the PrCs increase it by, but then remembered that Phaerimm are setting-specific. Then I figured I'd go with a fear-effect-stacking build, but then I realized that nearly every viable fear ability is attached to something that you arbitrarily banned. Then I figured Artificer would be a good fit, but that's from Eberron...

Whisper Gnome, Monk 3/ Spellthief 1/ Hexblade 2; Monk 5/ Spellthief 1/ Hexblade 4
Silencing Strike, Extra Silence, whatever else.
Tons and tons of wands, you can use wands of any Wizard spells from the abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation schools completely unhindered with just a single level of Spellthief. You can use wands of any Hexblade spell with a single level in that. Once you get even a single arcane spell slot you can use Eternal Wands of any arcane spell in the game regardless of what spell list it's from.

Spellthief is legal up to level five, and the same goes for hexblade. This is legal, although it does rely on finding wands (reasonably likely, although don't count of having a specific wand).

Worst. Party. Ever.

Additional notes:

You have an elite array for ability scores.
The limit on full caster means that hexblade, spellthief, ranger, and paladin could be taken up to level five. At level six, too many of those class levels would progress their spell-casting ability.
You cannot buy off level adjustment.
While magic items exist in the campaign, it is a magic-poor campaign, so magic markets don't exist (alchemical items are fair game, however). Build can't rely on having a specific magic item.

TuggyNE
2012-11-03, 02:16 AM
The limit on full caster means that hexblade, spellthief, ranger, and paladin could be taken up to level five. At level six, too many of those class levels would progress their spell-casting ability.

A quirk in their spell tables means I have to question this: paladins and rangers get literally no spellcasting benefit from their odd levels (no additional spells per day, no additional spell levels available, no increase in CL, no increased ability to use scrolls) until level 11. So arguably, less than half the class levels at 10 are actually progressing spellcasting in a meaningful way. (I don't know about spellthief and hexblade, but if they look similar the same argument would apply.)

Ashtagon
2012-11-03, 02:43 AM
A quirk in their spell tables means I have to question this: paladins and rangers get literally no spellcasting benefit from their odd levels (no additional spells per day, no additional spell levels available, no increase in CL, no increased ability to use scrolls) until level 11. So arguably, less than half the class levels at 10 are actually progressing spellcasting in a meaningful way. (I don't know about spellthief and hexblade, but if they look similar the same argument would apply.)

Good point. You could in theory take paladin (or ranger) up to level 11 (At level 12, 50%+ of the class levels progress their spell-casting). Of course, since I'm only asking for builds up to level 10, and at least half of all base class levels must be monk, it's a moot point. But paladin and ranger (haven't checked the other two) aren't restricted on account of their casting ability.

prufock
2012-11-03, 08:37 AM
Divine bard is out, due to my quirky definition of a full-caster class ("any class that advances spell-casting or manifesting ability for the majority of its levels). Note that this does mean you could take paladin or ranger up to level five.
Ah, I see. In that case I would also incorporate Dragon Shaman, similar to what Biff did.

Buffer/Healer
Dragonborn Gnome Monk 3/Dragon Shaman 3, Monk 5/Dragon Shaman 5
Feats: ??
Str 6, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 13 (14 at 10th), Cha 16
Pick Vigor, Energy Shield, Resistance, Senses, (and Power at 10th) as your auras. Grab some ranks in UMD and some wands of (Lesser) Vigor and CLW. I'd probably grab Silver as my totem dragon for cone of cold and Feather Fall.

Where is the mountain rage barbarian from? The alignment shift was unexpected, but it's fine for the campaign I have in mind.
Races of Stone. It's a Goliath substitution level that makes you large when you rage.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-03, 11:33 AM

Also, I'm totally not seeing how those links let you upgrade afflicted to natural by spending a level.

Armbands of Might are 4,100 gp, not exactly difficult to get. While they do add +4 damage per hit to that build, it's not entirely relying on them.

If you break down any lycanthrope into a savage progression, the level adjustment portion is broken down into the first two points granting everything granted by the afflicted version of the template (plus a few other things), and the third point granting only what a natural lycanthrope gains over an afflicted lycanthrope. That character was assumed to have been using a savage progression developed for that specific type of lycanthrope, but having gained all but the third level adjustment from the start of play. That was convenient so that a full savage progression would not have to be created for it, but such a progression would follow suit with the others in granting only the upgrade from afflicted to natural with the third level of the level adjustment portion. Sorry if it was unclear.

Rejakor
2012-11-03, 02:27 PM
Tank
The name's 'Hard-To-Kill', and i'm hard to kill.

Level 6: Saint (BoED) Human Passive Way Monk 4

Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Peace, Combat Reflexes

Uses a longstaff or other reach weapon and the combat reflexes + improved trip combo to trip people. He also has a high wis that he adds to AC twice, and immunity to spell effects of levels 1-3. He gets a decent armour bonus and other bonuses from VoP even while not wearing armour.

Level 10: Saint Human Spell Reflection Passive Way Monk 4/Exoticist Fighter 2/Feat Rogue 2

Feats: Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Vow of Peace, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Chastity, Combat Reflexes, Martial Maneuver [Some Devoted Spirit Maneuver], Martial Stance [Thicket of Blades], Aberration Blood, Inhuman Reach, Extend Tentacles

With a reach weapon and his unarmed strikes, he now threatens out to 30'. He trips everything. He has huge AC. He is huge saving throws and improved evasion. He does NOT have mettle, because I couldn't work out how to get it and still get all the feats.

An alternate build for this is Monk 4/Hexblade 3/feat rogue 1 - it has 10' less reach and no thicket of blades, but it DOES have mettle.

Stryker
Ere, wot? I hit the stuff wot needs the hitting, eh?

Level 6: Feral Mineral Warrior Dwarf Overwhelming Attack Monk 2/Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Exoticist Fighter 1

Feats: TWF, Beast Strike, Multiattack

Pounce for 2d8+18(str*2) three times, 1d8+9 twice, and 1d10+9 once. You have no AC, but it's okay, because you have con and DR. You can even wear a chain shirt if you want.

Level 10: Feral Mineral Warrior Dwarf Invisible Fist Overwhelming Attack Monk 5/Exoticist Fighter1/Fist of the Forest 1/Deepwarden 2 (bought off one of the LA)

Feats: TWF, Beast Strike, Multiattack, Scorpion's Grasp

Pounce for 3d8+20 five times, 1d8+10 twice, and 1d10+10 once. Assuming you win the grapple check and hit every time. You end up in a grapple. You also get twice your huge con to AC, so you have a great AC.

If you drop the deepwarden, you can get a few more feats and squeeze in leap attack and shock trooper. Which makes your attacks do a lot more damage at the cost of your AC.

Alternatively - Half-Minotaur Changeling going into warshaper and FoF gives you something like 6d8 on your unarmed strikes.

And - if you want, you can do the beast strike + beast claws warlock combo, but it doesn't work super good. Could theoretically be kind of cool with maximise SLA feat.

Buffer/Healer
What do I do around here? I keep you all frekkin' alive, that's wot!

Level 6: Lesser Aasimar Broken One Passive Way Monk 3/Dragon Shaman 1/Dragonhusk Spell-less Harmonious Knight Paladin 2

Feats: Mind Over Body, Stigmata

Nothing to see here. Dragon Shaman gives half-healing. You've got two pools of Lay on Hands (one from Broken One monk, the other from Paladin), paladin adds to saves, paladin helps against fear, and you've got Stigmata if there are serious wounds in the party (burn Con = fully healed party) Mind Over Body brings back Stigmata damage overnight, keep a decent con score for stuff. You can inspire courage, too, which is nice.

Level 10: Lesser Aasimar Passive Way Broken One Monk 5/Dragon Shaman 1/Dragonhusk Spell-less Harmonious Knight Paladin 4

Feats: Mind Over Body, Stigmata, Sacred Healing, Hands of a Healer

So all the stuff you could do before, is now more awesome. You can burn a turn attempt to give everyone bunches of HP, your lay on hands pools are huge, and stigmata heals lots for everyone (the more the merrier). With a very cheap caduceus of healing (MiC) you may use lay on hands healing to heal ability score damage, which is very useful, especially for making stigmata go further. Other than healing, though, and damage with a weapon, you aren't bringing much to the table. In-Combat Healing is actually a thing you can do, because you can just splash down a couple hundred points of healing, and if there's an undead, you could blow your lay on hands load in exchange for just murdering it (best used on casters).

Without paladin, i'd do like so

Broken One Passive Way Monk 5/Marshal 2/Dragon Shaman 1/Swordsage 2

Still use Stigmata and Mind Over Body and the Broken One lay on hands, but also pick up Martial Study [Some Devoted Spirit Strike] and spam it in combat. Use your swordsage maneuvers for the White Raven ones that help out your friends.

Debuffer/Controller
The name's Bob. Bob Bob. I'm here to Bob.

Halfling Hin Disciple Invisible Fist Monk 5/Hexblade 4/Warlock 1 - get into their squares, and use Confound the Big Folk to mess them up while giving them a penalty to saves (just in time for the Defender to Stun them). Probably needs a Permanencied Reduce Person.

Dragonhusk Paladin of Tyranny 1 would also be a good thing to have.