PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Newbie DM with a group

kaiten619
2012-11-02, 12:12 PM
What will be the best way to introduce pathfinder without the beginner box. couple of players haven't played D&D for years. So what will be the best suggestion

Arbane
2012-11-02, 02:53 PM
What will be the best way to introduce pathfinder without the beginner box. couple of players haven't played D&D for years. So what will be the best suggestion

"There's goblins in this cave, go kill 'em."?

Lord Tyger
2012-11-02, 03:02 PM
My go to with a new group is to start off with an RP introduction- getting the party to know each other, and then a fairly simple combat, just to run through their different options, and make sure everyone has everything added up together. Pretty much any CR 1ish monster without any particularly complicated special attacks should work for this.

Ozreth
2012-11-02, 03:06 PM
I always always always just start the game. If a person has never played an RPG before then all sorts of prep activities can be the activity seem way more daunting than it actually is.

Just start and teach them the rules as they come up. Half way through the session they will know all of the basics of the game and wont be asking questions anymore.

doko239
2012-11-02, 03:11 PM
We Be Goblins (paizo.com/products/btpy8j5w?Pathfinder-Module-We-Be-Goblins) is a fantastic icebreaker-style intro scenario that will help get people into the game, and the PDF is free. Just be prepared for a lot of ridiculous shenanigans to occur.

For example:

When I played this scenario, when we received the fireworks, I immediately tied the biggest one to my back with a length of rope. When we got to the last encounter vs the druid w/giant frog, I had one of the other goblins light up the firework and aimed myself right for the frog. Hilarity ensued.

kaiten619
2012-11-03, 07:09 AM
thank you everyone. i just hope i can get this ball rollin