PDA

View Full Version : Non-Standard Paladin Mounts....

Honeko
2012-11-02, 02:30 PM
One of my players wishes to run a paladin... with a mech as it's mount. As DM, I said if they can find it, they can play it. But it's an interesting idea... So I can here looking for some help in finding a way for this to work.

I have BESM d20, and with it Mecha d20. I was thinking that might work, but I'm afraid it will be too different or way too powerful, as I'm not certain on the conversion rates, etc.

I'm not certain, but I think think I've run across a Warforged Animal Template, which would also work I think.

Another option, would be for me to just fluff a warhorse into a mech, meaning giving the mech the stats of the warhorse. But then it would be a construct and construct is more powerful than animal...

Thus my dilemma. For reference, it's a level 10 campaign, any book I can see is open, and the other players are a Druid, a Sorcerer, and a rogue.

Any thoughts on this would help a ton. Thanks.

Hirax
2012-11-02, 02:47 PM
The DMG has some guidelines for non-standard mounts on pages 204 and 205. You could simply refluff one of the given examples, such as a hippogriff or dire wolf, or swap in a similarly powered one.

HunterColt22
2012-11-02, 02:52 PM
One of my players wishes to run a paladin... with a mech as it's mount. As DM, I said if they can find it, they can play it. But it's an interesting idea... So I can here looking for some help in finding a way for this to work.

I have BESM d20, and with it Mecha d20. I was thinking that might work, but I'm afraid it will be too different or way too powerful, as I'm not certain on the conversion rates, etc.

I'm not certain, but I think think I've run across a Warforged Animal Template, which would also work I think.

Another option, would be for me to just fluff a warhorse into a mech, meaning giving the mech the stats of the warhorse. But then it would be a construct and construct is more powerful than animal...

Thus my dilemma. For reference, it's a level 10 campaign, any book I can see is open, and the other players are a Druid, a Sorcerer, and a rogue.

Any thoughts on this would help a ton. Thanks.

You are thinking of the Raptor probably in Magic of Ebberon I think, it is in an Ebberon book, I just cant recall which at the moment. Also you could pretty much use a warforged charger as well, considering the massive int penalty they get. Basically giant monkeys that fling rocks at you but made like a warforged. Those two are your best bet for D&D equivalents and they are both already stated for you!

Keltaris
2012-11-02, 03:13 PM
In the MMIV there's a construct mount called Clockwork Steed if I'm not mistaken. I guess that could fit the role quite well. It's a CR 3.

HunterColt22
2012-11-02, 03:26 PM
In the MMIV there's a construct mount called Clockwork Steed if I'm not mistaken. I guess that could fit the role quite well. It's a CR 3.

That thing is awful, do not get it, it doesn't even defend itself when you dismount from it, and does nothing else. What you want is the one from heroes of battle. Same thing but done right.

Honeko
2012-11-02, 04:14 PM
You are thinking of the Raptor probably in Magic of Ebberon I think, it is in an Ebberon book, I just cant recall which at the moment. Also you could pretty much use a warforged charger as well, considering the massive int penalty they get

I just went through all the Ebberon books I have. I can't seem to find Raptor in any of them. It's a monster entry right? Nor could I find Warforged Charger...

Honeko
2012-11-16, 02:11 PM
It took a bit, but I've found the Warforged Charger. After looking again at the DMG non-standard mounts, to my understanding the player would have to be 8th level to get one as a special mount. Seeing as the entry in Monster Manual 3, says it's CR is 5.

My only concern with this is the advancement for the other special mounts either say - or HD X-Y(Size), Warforged Charger says By character class. So does that mean that for every 3 paladin levels, the charger gets 2 class levels? If so, does the player get to chose those levels or does the DM? Should I allow the player to create the Warforged Charger as a Character? Should I create it as a character or just stick them with the one presented in Monster Manual 3?

HunterColt22
2012-11-16, 04:12 PM
It took a bit, but I've found the Warforged Charger. After looking again at the DMG non-standard mounts, to my understanding the player would have to be 8th level to get one as a special mount. Seeing as the entry in Monster Manual 3, says it's CR is 5.

My only concern with this is the advancement for the other special mounts either say - or HD X-Y(Size), Warforged Charger says By character class. So does that mean that for every 3 paladin levels, the charger gets 2 class levels? If so, does the player get to chose those levels or does the DM? Should I allow the player to create the Warforged Charger as a Character? Should I create it as a character or just stick them with the one presented in Monster Manual 3?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5

Warforged Raptor, also in forge of war,not really a book book, more splat than numbers but still a worthwhile thing if you like ebberon/warforged.