PDA

View Full Version : Language dependent spells.....

Ranting Fool
2012-11-02, 07:07 PM
A small discussion has come up.

Spell Like abilities are Still and Silent
Suggestion is a Language dependent spell that you suggest things for them to do.

If the Suggestion spell is silent can it be used?:smallbiggrin: Since you have to... you know SUGGEST things to people.

My PC wants to be able to cast suggestion without anyone knowing he's casting it and without making any sound. Can this be done?

Either way a nice link to something RAW to avoid any arguments later would be great :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2012-11-02, 07:17 PM
A small discussion has come up.

Spell Like abilities are Still and Silent
Suggestion is a Language dependent spell that you suggest things for them to do.

If the Suggestion spell is silent can it be used?:smallbiggrin: Since you have to... you know SUGGEST things to people.

My PC wants to be able to cast suggestion without anyone knowing he's casting it and without making any sound. Can this be done?

Either way a nice link to something RAW to avoid any arguments later would be great :smallbiggrin:

"A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependant spell says the spell fails." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor)

There's no way around that; you can make it seem like you're not casting a spell, but you can't make it seem like you're completely uninvolved.

Reynard
2012-11-02, 07:22 PM
"A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependant spell says the spell fails." (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#descriptor)

There's no way around that; you can make it seem like you're not casting a spell, but you can't make it seem like you're completely uninvolved.

well, unless you're telepathic somehow.

TuggyNE
2012-11-02, 07:53 PM
well, unless you're telepathic somehow.

I suppose, although by strict RAW I'm not sure there's a defined interaction there. (There certainly should be, of course.)