PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Skill Tips?

silverwolfer
2012-11-02, 09:20 PM
Three questions

Any first party books dealing with the skill?

Wisdom or Intelligence modifier ?

Recipes?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-02, 09:48 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the only official options here are putting ranks in either profession(chef) or Craft(cooking).

Craft would be the one I'd use, since either races of the wild or races of stone has the rules for crafting art pieces. If you don't think a well cooked meal is a piece of art, I don't know what to say to you.

Cieyrin
2012-11-03, 10:49 AM
To my knowledge, there isn't any specific support for cooking as a mundane skill, at least in 3.5. PF has a magic cookbook made by the halflings that provides a Heroe's Feast 1/day and is also better than a masterwork item for bonus, as well as a gnomish magic ring that allows you magically enhance your handiwork.

I generally see Cooking fall under Profession, at the very least to avoid spending days making a simple dish. While it makes sense for long cooking processes (Barbeque, for example), it generally is counter-intuitive. As such, it generally falls under Wisdom, as it's generally an art that you get the feel (and smell) for with time, not something you can simply memorize your way to perfection. Yes, cooking is essentially edible chemistry and as such could utilize Craft, it's just not how I generally see it used in practice from the game's perspective.