PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Help...Is Archivist without academic priest worth it?

Giegue
2012-11-03, 01:03 PM
As the title asks. I was going to go Archivist/Factotum in a gestalt game in which arcane classes are not allowed due to the plot, and run into a MASSIVE issue. The DM doesn't have the dragonlance books so I can't use academic priest. Without wisdom-boosting items, the most wisdom I can have with my rolls 1s 15. I could take a plus wis race to boost this, such as lesser Aaismar to boost that to a respectable 17, but that would mean I can't take a +int race(B/C all +int, +wis races have yucky LA) to boost my int from 17 to 19, meaning DCs and such will suffer. Thus, I am looking to all of you for advice. How can I save a Factotum/Archivist gestalt without academic priest? Will I be forced to take Lesser Aasimar or some other +wis race? Are bonus spells not nearly as important as I think them to be? Or should I forget archivist/factotum all together and just go Psion/Factotum or something? Any advice and help would be appreciated...

Flickerdart
2012-11-03, 01:13 PM
Take a look at the tables - the difference between a 15 and a 17 is a single bonus 3rd level spell. Now, depending on what kind of spells you prepare that could be major, so it's really up to you to decide whether or not a single spell slot is worth leaving a T1 class for.

eggs
2012-11-03, 01:14 PM
Step 1: Start with 13 Wis
Step 2: Buy/craft enhancements at the appropriate levels
Fin

Giegue
2012-11-03, 01:25 PM
Why start with only 13 when I can start with 15? Also, you make it sound that easy, but it's not. Crafting costs XP and forces you to burn feats. However, in this game we get feats faster and more frequently(every odd-numbered level instead of every three levels) so burning a feat or three on crafting feats will not be AS bad as it would be in a normal game I guess...

As for spell access for item creation, all divine spellcasting base classes are in play, as is Divine Bard. So I'll have plenty of options...

Rejakor
2012-11-03, 02:42 PM
Who says you have to craft anything? Pay some other schmuck to do it, or get your filthy paws on an artificer cohort.

Psion//factotum is not a terrible choice. As long as you know your way around it, psionics is versatile and fun, and egoists make great gishes.

But again there's no real reason not to play an archivist.

ksbsnowowl
2012-11-04, 04:18 PM
As an Archivist with a 17 Intelligence and a 15 Wisdom, you'll do just fine. Note that Archivists already start with an extra spell slot per day compared to a wizard anyway.

Kazyan
2012-11-04, 05:31 PM
Are you actually fretting about Tier 1//Factotum being infeasible because it involves a touch of MAD, and you can't boost both of the things you want? C'mon, you'll be fine.

Also, the Vanara (Oriental Adventures) supplies +int and +wis.