PDA

View Full Version : Rule-Masher 9000

lucky9
2012-11-03, 04:30 PM
Generally I run a fairly heavily houseruled 3.5 system. This is because a)certain aspects of older editions just make more sense than portions of 3.5 and b)my group prefers certain parts of other editions. As a resault I've gotten pretty good at making simple rule mash-ups that are balanced and logical. However, I would like to make a from-the-ground-up-hybrid of my group's favorite versions of the rules. I'm most familiar with 3rd/3.5 so that will be the foundation, my first experiences with D&D were 2nd edition so my opinions are colored by that as well, also I've recently begun reading up on Pathfinder and I like what they've done with the place, and finally there are many things from 1st edition that IMO simply make more sense lore-wise.

So, simple question(s): What are your favorite parts of 1st and 2nd editions, and Pathfinder? What are some parts of 3rd/3.5 that need to be changed? Which of the rules of any edition make the most logical sense?
Thanks in advance:smallsmile:

Tvtyrant
2012-11-03, 04:35 PM
I like Pathfinders skills better, I like several of their classes (Magus, Summoner, other tier 2-3). I prefer the older reroll Initiative each round, and having spells knock your initiative down. I like the 4E one attack a turn system better (as opposed to gigantic attack routines).

Slipperychicken
2012-11-03, 10:35 PM
You probably want to figure out exactly what you want the rules to accomplish, and the playstyle you'd like to encourage.

Convert attack types into hitpoint damage, especially poisons, Con/Dex/Str damage, and energy drain. This will make the game more straightforward, balanced, and easier to track. You also won't have 11 different mechanics to represent bleeding.

Remove Save or Die. Or keep the fluff and substitute the "Failed save = GG" effect with a large amount of damage (2d6 per level?), and save to reduce to pitiful damage (2hp per level?). I have Disintegrate in mind as a template.

Remove Save or Lose. Effects like Sleep or Hold Person restrict action, but don't completely take you out of the fight (like Standard-or-Move-Not-Both, or reduced move speed, not "Completely f***ed for minutes/level"). Let the target re-save every round to throw off the effects.

Remove Domination. You can scare someone away, or lure people closer, or paralyze them with fear, but not total control. Having two equally-powerful characters at once is just far too strong. On that note, ban Mindrape.

Complete immunity to attack types is also bizarre. In most cases, replace it with "75% less damage", or energy resist, or "+10 on saves to resist".

One number for magic resist, everyone gets it, and it applies to all magic. Spell Resistance for everyone, have it function like the magical Armor Class it was supposed to. This will entail removing the Will saves from many spells.

Pathfinder skills. Especially max ranks = level.

Remove class skills. Why can't my 14 INT Fighter have learned to use wands like the Rogue? That's crazy.

Each class which would give 2+Int skillpoints (and is not Intelligence-based) now gives 4+Int.

All of the "+2" feats now scale with level. Have them give a bonus that actually matters, like [+1 per 3 levels, minimum 2].

Pathfinder Toughness completely replaces 3.5 Toughness.

Gavinfoxx
2012-11-03, 11:09 PM
You know, if I want a D20 game with better, saner rules, I just look at Mutants and Masterminds or Legend.