PDA

View Full Version : Skill Focus as a free feat

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 05:02 PM
Just had a random idea. Next time I DM I'm going to let all the PCs get Skill Focus for free. I think it'd be a kind thing to do before I unleash hordes of overpowered, hostile NPCs on them.:smallwink: I also think it would think it would help with roleplaying and character background. Like, why did they select that skill? What in their character's life allowed them to have this improved talent? Backstory!

Just wondering what you all thought of this idea, and if given the same benefit with a character you make, what skill would you choose?

Novawurmson
2012-11-03, 05:25 PM
Not a bad idea. Consider opening up the +2/+2 feats as well.

Tanuki Tales
2012-11-03, 05:27 PM
Giving them their choice of a few of the "crappy" feats shouldn't change balance that much and could open up flavorful additions to their characters. I approve.

I don't believe in Feat Taxes personally. If a feat is so good it needs a feat tax to gain access to it, why not make the prerequisite feat decent or just nerf that feat and open up a better version as higher up the chain.

bobthe6th
2012-11-03, 05:36 PM
some classes would get a boost(artificers would enjoy the +3 to UMD immensely, and a +3 to concentrate would get spell casters into free combat casting quickly.)

Absol197
2012-11-03, 05:40 PM
Are you going to make it the Pathfinder version?

In Pathfinder, the bonus granted from Skill Focus increases by +3 for every 10 ranks you have in the skill. That means that the characters get to continue being good at the skill they chose (possibly much better than anyone else) as they go up in level, and a +3 starts to not look as shiny as it did.

The same applies to the other +2/+2 skills - you gain the bonus again for every 10 ranks.

You'd also probably want to make Skill Focus make the selected skill always a class skill, too, especially if you're using the 3.5 skill system. What's the point in being incredibly talented at a particular skill if by level 4 someone without that distinction is already better than you? If you're talented at something, comtinuing to get better should be easy, whether your career path normally emphasizes that skill or not.

Just my opinions, of course :smallsmile: .

~Phoenix~

nedz
2012-11-03, 07:02 PM
I've been considering this for some time, but decided to modify the skill feats so that they make the skill always a class skill also; though I am tempted to change that to follow PF's approach to cc skills.

If I were going to do this: I think I'd prefer to do this with the +2/+2 skills, but maybe open them out a bit more; so that the players could customise their own +2/+2 feat if they wished.