PDA

View Full Version : PF Traits: May be IMBA, not sure.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 06:06 PM
I don't know if there are really any traits as strong as Magical Lineage. I mean, it's pretty strong. Is there any other trait as good as it is?

AdamT
2012-11-03, 06:25 PM
Wayang spell hunter.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 06:29 PM
Oh wow. It's almost the same thing. Melee didn't get anything good, did they, while casters can one half of Arcane thesis twice.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 06:33 PM
Notice that those two traits apply to a specific spell, so you could throw two levels of metamagic on something and level not be increased. Consider a fel drain split ray of frost (fell drain, split ray both on ray of frost). You get a cantrip (cast all day long) that gives two negative levels. My favorite trick for pf spellcasters in low level games. Sure beats a crossbow.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 06:36 PM
Notice that those two traits apply to a specific spell, so you could throw two levels of metamagic on something and level not be increased. Consider a fel drain split ray of frost (fell drain, split ray both on ray of frost). You get a cantrip (cast all day long) that gives two negative levels. My favorite trick for pf spellcasters in low level games.

It's still good even in PF-only Games as well.

I had Magical Lineage: Magic Missile and Toppling Spell. I was able to just make people fall over while dealing consistent damage while doing very good active Battlefield Control. If we had a cantrip that worked with Toppling Spell...

EDIT: While not RAI, the traits haven't been errataed yet. You can cast Toppling Magic Missile as a Cantrip with both Traits as-is by RAW.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 07:22 PM
Yes, party melee LOVE sorcerers with toppling spell and magic missile. That one combo stays powerfull for a long time. With the right party build you could make a career out of it.

As far as making the magic missile a cantrip, I'd show the dm it could be done, then ask very politely if he would mind houserulling a ray of force cantrip instead.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 07:30 PM
Yes, party melee LOVE sorcerers with toppling spell and magic missile. That one combo stays powerfull for a long time. With the right party build you could make a career out of it.

Yeah, when I first dove into PF, rather blindy I might add, this combo stood out rather spectacularly. It's one of my main arguments for "PF didn't fix anything".

That, and I found a way to have a Giant Frog as an AnC. Was pretty cool, helped with the BFC.

As far as making the magic missile a cantrip, I'd show the dm it could be done, then ask very politely if he would mind houserulling a ray of force cantrip instead.

Yeah, it's an easy way of getting some books thrown at you to build up your Crusader's damage pool.

Ray o' Force. 1d3 damage (Force Damage, so smaller than similar spells), No save, SR:Yes, Range: Short.

jaybird
2012-11-03, 07:31 PM
Another good one is a Dazing Fireball. 4th level spell with a save or daze for 3 rounds.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 07:39 PM
Another good one is a Dazing Fireball. 4th level spell with a save or daze for 3 rounds.

Dazing Magic Missile would be better. Toppling if if a creature takes damage, he get proned, but Dazing says when, so multiple missile hit for multiple saves required. Lower save (10%) for multiple hits. Better in my book. The fireballs would be better for mooks, though.

But, I digress... I am trying to find good traits that aren't broken, but still good. :smalltongue:

AdamT
2012-11-03, 08:17 PM
Reactionary
Killer
Fencer
Excitible (gnome) - combine with reactionary for free improved init
Coin Hoarder (dwarf)
Backstabber
Calistrian prostitute - because... yea...
Cleansing Light
divine warrior
Quain martial artist

Yea, they dont stack up to the two metamagic ones, but there are some very nice traits for other classes.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 08:26 PM
So we're looking like a lot of of the +2/+2 skill feats, 1/2 Weapon Spec, or 1/2 improved Init.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 08:49 PM
So we're looking like a lot of of the +2/+2 skill feats, 1/2 Weapon Spec, or 1/2 improved Init.

Yes, but remember the skill feats often give one of the skills as a class skill, which would make it more like +2/+5.

Blyte
2012-11-03, 09:02 PM
some of these might be broken, but all are good for the right builds.

Adopted
Bullied
Deep Guardian
Diabolical Dabbler
Eastern Mysteries
Elemental Pupil
Finding Haleen
Heirloom Weapon
Iadaran Illusionist
Magical Knack
Optimistic Gambler
Precocious Spellcaster
Rider of Paresh
Sacred Conduit
Shadow Child
Storyteller
Sword Scion
Treerazer’s Bane
Wisdom in the Flesh

Ravens_cry
2012-11-03, 09:10 PM
I like the ones that grant class skills, like Dangerously Curious, a great way to round out a build and reflect unusual backgrounds. Even the changed Heirloom Weapon is a great way to get a certain weapon. Sure, it's not Masterwork anymore, but the spell Masterwork Transformation makes it all better.
I really want to use Magical Knack for an Arcane Trickster build.
Reactionary and Excitable don't stack as they are both trait bonuses.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 09:13 PM
Finding Haleen. Forgot that one. Short of the metamagic ones its probably as powerful as you get. Most of the traits are supposed to be about half the power of a feat. That one is free toughness. I remember somewhere seeing a post about useing that and something else to get 3 favored class benefits (skill point, hit point, and racial benefit). Cant remember what the trick was, wish I could.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 09:15 PM
Reactionary and Excitable don't stack as they are both trait bonuses.

Oops, you are correct. I thought Excitable was untyped, my mistake.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 09:34 PM
Finding Haleen. Forgot that one. Short of the metamagic ones its probably as powerful as you get. Most of the traits are supposed to be about half the power of a feat. That one is free toughness. I remember somewhere seeing a post about useing that and something else to get 3 favored class benefits (skill point, hit point, and racial benefit). Cant remember what the trick was, wish I could.

Dayum. That's good. So taking that on my Tiefling Oradin. Way too flavorful and way to good for a tank.

From now I am going to link the traits, since they are free material anyway, and googling it is a pain.

Magical Knack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack) is one half of the Practiced Spellcaster feat, and therefore very powerful as well.

Precocious Spellcaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/precocious-spellcaster) is where the other half of a half of what Arcane thesis is. Weird to have an old feat quartered like this.

AdamT
2012-11-03, 09:46 PM
Since they are supposed to be half as powerful as a feat you might ask the dm to let you use a first level feat to get 4 traits instead of the normal two. Power level should be the same, but it really adds to customization and rping.

Snowbluff
2012-11-03, 10:41 PM
Since they are supposed to be half as powerful as a feat you might ask the dm to let you use a first level feat to get 4 traits instead of the normal two. Power level should be the same, but it really adds to customization and rping.

It's already a feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/additional-traits). I use this to pick up traits, since my DM would not let me have them otherwise (You know, after he saw how broken Magical Lineage was).