PDA

View Full Version : A Shadowdancer with an Umbrella...

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 08:46 PM
I forget if there's a rule on this, but as a shadowdancer, could I carry an umbrella everywhere I go to ensure there's a shadow nearby? I can't remember if there's something about this in the rules, or if me and a bunch of friends joked about this working once years ago, but somehow I remember something about shadowdancers and umbrellas.

Morcleon
2012-11-03, 09:15 PM
This works perfectly fine. The shadow exists, and is not your own.

It also has the wonderful side-effect of giving you a badass umbrella. :smallbiggrin:

Inferno
2012-11-03, 09:21 PM
It would also get bonus points if its also a rifle or crossbow.:smallcool:

herrhauptmann
2012-11-03, 09:22 PM

It also has the wonderful side-effect of giving you a badass umbrella. :smallbiggrin:

YOu mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8G5zsQohg

Morcleon
2012-11-03, 09:35 PM
YOu mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8G5zsQohg

...yes, that one. And then you make it out of adamantine, and make it a magical rapier. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 09:55 PM

SWEET!:smallbiggrin: I know what I'm building as my next character!

Morcleon
2012-11-03, 09:59 PM
SWEET!:smallbiggrin: I know what I'm building as my next character!

A character I'm playing now is a shadowcraft mage, whose 40% concealment only works in shadows. Guess what I gave her to allow this to happen? (and to protect her from the splattering blood of her fallen enemies...) :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-11-03, 10:00 PM
Why do you need to be a Shadowdancer? Carry a Tower Shield, and use the cover you get from it to hide.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 10:00 PM
A character I'm playing now is a shadowcraft mage, whose 40% concealment only works in shadows. Guess what I gave her to allow this to happen? (and to protect her from the splattering blood of her fallen enemies...) :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

You gave her a bicycle?:smallconfused:

Morcleon
2012-11-03, 10:33 PM
You gave her a bicycle?:smallconfused:

Lol no. I gave her a magical umbrella. :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 10:42 PM
Lol no. I gave her a magical umbrella. :smalltongue:

So, the bicycle turns into an umbrella. That certainly is magical!:smallwink::smalltongue:

Zombulian
2012-11-03, 10:49 PM
Why do you need to be a Shadowdancer? Carry a Tower Shield, and use the cover you get from it to hide.

Because Shadowdance lets you teleport from shadow to shadow, but you can't use your own shadow.

Flickerdart
2012-11-03, 11:03 PM
Because Shadowdance lets you teleport from shadow to shadow, but you can't use your own shadow.
Surely, if any held item works, then the shadow cast by your armour isn't your own shadow? Or your weapon? Or the horns on your historically inaccurate viking helmet?

Morcleon
2012-11-03, 11:05 PM
Surely, if any held item works, then the shadow cast by your armour isn't your own shadow? Or your weapon? Or the horns on your historically inaccurate viking helmet?

I would assume that anything worn by you would count as your own shadow.

Zombulian
2012-11-03, 11:09 PM

Also holding an umbrella before you teleport to bap someone in a face - possibly *with* the umbrella - is damn classy.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-03, 11:27 PM
I've decided my character will be named Oswald!:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2012-11-04, 12:13 AM
Why is the shadow cast by an umbrella any different from the shadow cast by a weapon, or a grey ioun stone?

Dr.Epic
2012-11-04, 01:40 AM
Why is the shadow cast by an umbrella any different from the shadow cast by a weapon, or a grey ioun stone?

Because it's an umbrella.:smallwink::smalltongue:

Zombulian
2012-11-04, 01:45 AM

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

You fill me with happiness my sweet walrus.

The Random NPC
2012-11-04, 01:46 AM

Doesn't really matter, its a free action to drop it and then the shadow is most definitely not a part of yours.

Flickerdart
2012-11-04, 02:00 AM
Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot?

Dr.Epic
2012-11-04, 02:13 AM
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.

You fill me with happiness my sweet walrus.

Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot?

Glad someone got the reference.

Fitz10019
2012-11-04, 07:23 AM
Doesn't really matter, its a free action to drop it and then the shadow is most definitely not a part of yours.

Yes, but it takes 0 time for the umbrella to fall that distance, so you have to ready an action to teleport at the right time. Because the trigger is your action (albeit a free action), you wait, readied, for a trigger that will not happen because you are waiting for it.

The solution, of course, is to use a cohort to hold the umbrella. However, because cohorts are NPCs, the DM will decide his/her actions. The cohort will then conscienciously close the umbrella before dropping it, to minimize damage to the folding parts, thereby eliminating the shadow (or rather making it too small to use). At this point you'll realize you should just use the cohort's shadow, but you have to wait until the next round to change your declared action. :smalltongue:

awa
2012-11-04, 09:12 AM
from a raw and rai perspective anything your holding is going to be part of your shadow otherwise why not use the shadow provided by your clothing. and if you have a cohort holding it why not just use the cohorts shadow.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-04, 02:10 PM
and if you have a cohort holding it why not just use the cohorts shadow.

The cohort might not be big enough, their shadow may be positioned really awkwardly in relation to you, and it's not nearly as hilarious!

Fitz10019
2012-11-04, 02:29 PM
... if you have a cohort holding it ... You missed the joke there.

Lost in books
2012-11-04, 09:14 PM
So if the argument is if you are holding the umbrella then how about this? Use the Shrinked Cone Hat trick with multiple hats on top of each other. (I have used this trick after multiple opponents cast AMF fields to shut down our mages. The first AMF has line of effect to the outside cone so that is the one that gets affected. Just make sure the command word is different for each cone, i.e. Cone 1 go!, Cone 2 go! etc. Now the question is... How many hats will be enough for you to use in a battle?

Remember the first hat should suffice for the combo because as soon as you jump you should be near a Shadow, but is good to have multiple hats for when you move.