PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Living Monolith Build Ideas

BTB
2012-11-04, 12:06 AM
I absolutely love the flavor for the PrC, and athough I have no setting in which to use it now, I'd like to make one for future use. The thing is, other than it seeming to be well suited for a fighter or maybe barbarian, I'm honestly not sure where to go with it. I love the flavor and the idea of playing it, yet don't really have any idea how to make it happen.

Link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith

Guys I play with usually allow anything on the d20pfsrd non-third party, so any suggestions for how exactly to go about this would be great, because as I've said, I'm not sure how to build him. He's a venerable tank, so maybr a sword in board fighter, or perhaps he renders the extra AC a little less necessary and I should go for a two handed weapon, or a barbarian, and then of course there's archetypes and everything. Eh, just make some suggestions, if you will. I'd appreciate it.

grarrrg
2012-11-04, 12:43 AM
The thing is, other than it seeming to be well suited for a fighter or maybe barbarian, I'm honestly not sure where to go with it. I love the flavor and the idea of playing it, yet don't really have any idea how to make it happen.

Link: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith

...I've said, I'm not sure how to build him. He's a venerable tank, so maybr a sword in board fighter, or perhaps he renders the extra AC a little less necessary and I should go for a two handed weapon, or a barbarian, and then of course there's archetypes and everything. Eh, just make some suggestions, if you will. I'd appreciate it.

Well, it makes for an AWESOME 1 level dip.
3/day, Swift Action Enlarge Person with a 6 minute duration.
Swift Action STR and Size increase with good duration for a Swift Action? YES PLEASE!
2nd level is Immune to any/all "bleed" type damage.
3rd is the beginning of the DR/Fortification (which gets a boost when you are Enlarged).
The rest of the class is...decent, nothing spectacular, mostly flavorful, but still (potentially) useful.

Any class that could do with a Size Increase for Damage/Reach/Combat-Manuevers. Obviously, this works better for Non-Caster entry, as most Full Casters have easy ways to get Enlarge on their spell list (and are less likely to want a No-Spell progression PrC...).
Entry is actually Ridiculously easy, the only real hang ups are being disallowed for Flavor, and the 2 questionable Feat-Reqs.
Slightly less useful for Barbarians actually, as the DR does not stack (not a big thing, but its annoying).

Endurance is easy to pick up,
Half-Orcs have an Alt-Racial to start with it.
Unbreakable (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/unbreakable) Archetype Fighter gets it and Die Hard as level 1 Bonus Feats (lose normal level 1 Combat feat).
Ranger gets it at 3rd level.
and the Wanderer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human/wanderer-monk-human) archetype Monk gets it at 3rd level. Added bonus, you automatically get bonus Languages Known (you need to speak Sphinx to enter the class), course, Monk's 3/4 Bab will delay entry.

Iron Will you'll have to take the hard way, but its still more useful on its own than Endurance is...

My opinion: For Dipping, it can be great on any Melee-heavy build, the first level is _sweet_.
For the taking the whole class? That's much more of a Flavor>Optimization choice, as most Base Classes have better features.
Overall, Fighter and Barbarian are probably the best entries if planning on taking all 10 levels.

BTB
2012-11-04, 02:41 AM
Excellent. I've always been a flavor over optimization guy, so this is right up my alley. Actually, it hadn't occurred to me what a wonderful dip I'd stumbled across, especially for people playing in "Monsters as PCs" campaigns, since the effect works on non humanoids as well. Also synergizes well with Pain Taster, another one I've been meaning to take a more serious look at.