PDA

View Full Version : Random Question: is it possible to use Inkscape to clip part of a picture?

INoKnowNames
2012-11-04, 12:34 AM
If not, then what can I use?

And if so, then how?

I found the -PERFECT- picture for an Avatar, I'm just not sure how to clip it out of the rest of it's comic to be able to upload and use it.

Elder Tsofu
2012-11-04, 02:37 PM
It is. Sort of.
1. Draw a square around the part you want to clip out.
2. Remove the border/fill of the square and export it as a .png.
(you can also use the square to cut away everything but the thing you want to export, but that is a more roundabout way of doing the above)

But I think I'd use some other program myself, like paint.net or Gimp2 or perhaps irfanview.

Edit: It is also heavily frowned upon by the Giant to use pieces the Giants copyrighted comics as avatars. Just so you don't miss that.

INoKnowNames
2012-11-04, 08:34 PM
It is. Sort of.
1. Draw a square around the part you want to clip out.
2. Remove the border/fill of the square and export it as a .png.
(you can also use the square to cut away everything but the thing you want to export, but that is a more roundabout way of doing the above)

Hm... I'll give that a try, then, thank you. I remember doing this before, but it was... what, 5 months ago at the earliest?

But I think I'd use some other program myself, like paint.net or Gimp2 or perhaps irfanview.

I'll give those a look at, too. Again, thanks.

Edit: It is also heavily frowned upon by the Giant to use pieces the Giants copyrighted comics as avatars. Just so you don't miss that.

I'm aware of that, actually. It wasn't part of the Order of the Stick. Rather, the bottom left panel from comic 431 of Exterminatus Now. I don't think I can link to the page dirrectly because it has 2 swear-words, but the image is hilarious and -way- too Avatar worthy.

.... though I'm not sure if that is any more legal or not... It's not like I'm stealing it, or even remotely claiming ownership of it... but still... :smallfrown: