PDA

View Full Version : Do I qualify?

Amechra
2012-11-04, 03:02 AM
If I was a Lesser Tiefling, could I use the CL of my Darkness SLA to qualify for Item Creation feats?

Ashtagon
2012-11-04, 05:26 AM
If I was a Lesser Tiefling, could I use the CL of my Darkness SLA to qualify for Item Creation feats?

Personally, I wouldn't allow it. There's too many items that don't require a spell to be cast over the creation period. It opens the door to a tiefling fighter making, for example, +5 shields.

Now, I can see an argument for epic blacksmiths and smithy-warriors making magic arms and armour, but that's a separate issue of brokenness, which isn't fixed by allowing tieflinsg specifically to do such things.

Ranting Fool
2012-11-04, 06:32 AM
I would lean towards No for crafting with SLA as the feats want "caster levels " which it says are

"caster level: A measure of the power with which a spellcaster
casts a spell. Generally, a spell’s caster level is the spellcaster’s class
level."

That said I'm sure warlocks can craft stuff once they hit level 12 :smallconfused: so errrr maybe.

Sorry for being less then helpful.

peacenlove
2012-11-04, 06:33 AM
In fear of my analysis getting invalidated by more knowledgeable people I will err on the side that you qualify.

From Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats. They invest time, money, and their own personal energy (in the form of experience points) in an item’s creation.

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).

From Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm)

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:

So if a magic item specifically needs darkness you are covered.

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#craftMagicArmsAndArmor) we have

Craft Magic Arms And Armor [Item Creation]
Prerequisite

Caster level 5th.
Note that it doesn't specify arcane or divine caster level so your darkness caster level is ok.
A comparison would be shadowcasters, who don't have an arcane or divine caster level, however they can qualify for Item creation feats.

nedz
2012-11-04, 07:39 AM
So if a magic item specifically needs darkness you are covered.

this basically.
E.g. With Craft Wand you could make a Wand of Darkness.

Though IIRC there are rules about casters co-operating to make stuff, so your feat might not be a total waste.

Amechra
2012-11-04, 03:58 PM
Alright, I know I couldn't make anything without help; that's not the point.

I'm trying to grab some prereqs without being a caster, so...