PDA

View Full Version : Invoking Paladin/Blackguard ACF [3.5, ACF, PEACH]

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-04, 03:55 PM
First, the ACF:

Paladin Invocations
Everyone knows of the spell slinging Paladin, rushing around the battlefield casting spells in his lords name. But it has a limit, no Paladin can cast all day long. Some Paladins, distraught at this limitation, sought ways to remove it. They succeeded, somewhat. While they can "cast" all day, there is a price. The Paladin will no longer have the variety they once had, but some see this as an acceptable price.

Class: Paladin or Blackguard (Note: This ACF is created with the PHB Paladin in mind, but the Paladin variants in UA should work just fine with this ACF, with a little tweaking, of course.)

Level: Any. However, once the choice to use Invocations is made, it cannot be reversed. Even Level Drain (Or actual level loss) cannot restore a Paladin's/Blackguard's spells.

Replaces: Once chosen, the Paladin/Blackguard looses access to all spells, and can never regain them.

Benefit: You gain access to a small number of Least and Lesser invocations, as noted on the table below:

{table=head] Level|Invocations Known

1|0
2|0
3|1
4|1
5|2
6|2
7|2
8|3, Lesser Invocations
9|3
10|3
11|4
12|4
13|4
14|5
15|5
16|5
17|6
18|6
19|6
20|7[/table]

Starting at level 6 and every 3 levels after, you may swap one Invocation for another.

A Paladin's caster level for his Invocations is equal to his full Paladin level.

Paladin invocations count as divine spells, allowing him to count as a Divine caster for prerequisites. Any PrC he enters that advances spell casting instead advances his Invocations.

Paladins use Charisma for their Invocations.

Unlike Warlock invocations, there is no ACF for using Paladin Invocations.

List of Paladin invocations:

Because I'm lazy, and few of these are original, I'm going to list the level equivalent in the Invocation name. If it doesn't have one, then the Invocation is in Complete Arcane.

Least:

Aura of Glory, 1st: Use Aura of Glory (SpC) as the spell.
Axiomatic Water, Swift, 1st: As the Axiomatic Water spell (SpC), except it lasts for 1 round and casting time is 1 swift action.
Beguiling Influence: Gain a Bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.
Bless Water, Swift, 1st As the Bless Water spell, except it lasts 1 round and casting time is 1 swift action.
Bless Weapon, Swift, 1st: Use Bless Weapon, Swift (SpC) as the spell.
Daylight, 2nd: Use Daylight as the spell.
Detect poison, 2nd: Use Detect Poison as the spell.
Delay Poision, 1st: Can use Delay Poison, as the spell.
Devil's Sight: Can see in Darkness and Magical Darkness.
Magic Insight (Dragon Magic): Detect magical auras; identify magic items
Spiderwalk: Gain Spider climb as the spell and immune to webs.
False Alignment, 2nd: Spells and Divination effects treat you as a specified alignment for 24 hours.
Warning shout, 1st: Use Warning Shout (SpC), as the spell.
Zea, 2nd: Use Zeal (SpC) as the spell.

Lesser:

Charm: One person regards you as a friend.
Celestial Flight As Fell Flight, except you sprout feathery wings.
Diamondsteel, 3rd Use Diamondsteel (SpC) as the spell.
Discern Lies, 3rd: Use Discern Lies as the spell.
Neutralise Poison, 4th: Use Neutralise Poision as the spell.
Seek eternal rest, 3rd: Use Seek eternal rest (SpC) as the spell.
Remove Curse, 3rd: Use Remove Curse, as the spell.
Telepathic aura, 4th: Use Telepathic Aura (SpC) as the spell.
Visage of the Deity, lesser, 4th: You may cast Visage of the Deity, Lesser (SpC) as the spell.
Voidsense: Gain Blindsense 30ft.
Word of Binding, 3rd: Use Word of Binding (SpC) as the spell.

Blackguard Invocations

A Blackguard uses the same rules as a Paladin for his Invocations. A Blackguard may swap out his invocations at 3rd level and every 2 levels after.

The Blackguard's invocations are shown on the following table:

(A level 10 Blackguard has the same spells per day as a 17th level Paladin, so I tried to match that with this ACF)

{table=head] Level|Invocations Known

1|1
2|2
3|3
4|3, Lesser Invocations
5|4
6|4
7|5
8|5
9|6
10|6
[/table]

A Blackguard's Invocations (These Invocations could work just as well for evil variant Paladins) are:

Least:

Baleful Utterance: Shatter Objects as the Shatter spell.
Beguiling Influence: Gain bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
Cause Fear 1st: You may use Cause Fear as the spell.
Corrupt Weapon, Swift, 1st: As Bless Weapon, Swift except the bonus is Profane.
Curse of Ill fortune, 2nd: You may use Curse of Ill fortune (SpC) as the spell.
Darkness: Use Darkness as the spell.
Devil's Sight: See in Darkness and Magical Darkness
Entropic Warding: Deflect incoming ranged attacks, leave no trail, and prevent being tracked by scent.
Mark of the Outcast, 1st: You can use Mark of the Outcast (SpC) as the spell.
Miasmic Cloud: Create a cloud of mist that grants concealment and fatigues those who enter.
Spiderwalk: Gain Spiderclimb and immune to webs.
Summon Swarm: Use Summon Swarm as the spell.
Wave of grief, 2nd: Use Wave of Grief (SpC) as the spell.
Zeal, 2nd: Use Zeal (SpC) as the spell.

Lesser:

Charm: One person regards you as a friend.
Curse of Despair: Curse one creature as the bestow curse spell, or hinder its attacks.
Demonic flight: As Fell Flight, except you sprout leathery wings.
Fangs of the Vampire King, 3rd: You may use Fangs of the Vampire King (SpC) as the spell.
Poison, 4th: You may use Poison as the spell.
Visage of the Deity, lesser, 4th: You may cast Visage of the Deity, Lesser (SpC) as the spell.
Voidsense: Gain Blindsense 30 feet.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-05, 01:50 PM
UPDATE

Blackguard is now useable with this ACF.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-06, 07:39 PM
Bumping, in a bid for comments.

One Step Two
2012-11-06, 08:35 PM
I quite like the idea of using invocations on a paladin, especially a chaotic good Paladin odf Freedom, where a more "free-form" mode of casting makes alot more sense.

That said, there's some minor discrepencies.

Firstly, that the only recieve 2 levels of invocations seems... lacking, invocations are already caster-lite material, and watering them down again for paladins seems too restrained. I know Warlocks only ever get 12 invocations, and that 7 is quite generous, but a paladin with the Battle Blessing feat is the best choice, though perhaps not the best when it comes to all-day stamina.
The loss of healing and restorative spells means you might want to look at pumping up how Lay on hands work, also, for the buffing invocations, does share spell with the Special Mount mean they get the benefits too?

Obviously giving a paladin Spammable cure spells is not going to go down well with anyone, but if we're going into full ACF territory, why not replace their Lay on Hands ability with a Healing Trance similar to fiendish resilliance, heck toss in a little DR, float the ACF as a fullblown Warlock/Paladin fusion, instead of just an invocations list?

Sorry if my post kinda wandered with my thoughts, but this is actually quite interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-07, 08:13 AM
I quite like the idea of using invocations on a paladin, especially a chaotic good Paladin odf Freedom, where a more "free-form" mode of casting makes alot more sense.

Thinking about it, it does, doesn't it? No need to have a set in stone set of abilities.

Firstly, that the only recieve 2 levels of invocations seems... lacking, invocations are already caster-lite material, and watering them down again for paladins seems too restrained.

The reason behind that is quite simple: It keeps the Paladin's power the same.

Broadly speaking, that is, since a few per day < At will. By giving the Paladin Least and Lesser invocations only, it keeps the Paladin's "spell level" the same as before. Giving him greater invocations, equivalent to 5 and 6 level spells, would make the Paladin's actual casting obsolete.

By not giving him greater spell levels that he normally gets, the Paladin's choice becomes simple: Versatility (As much as Paladins have, that is) or Power On Demand?

I know Warlocks only ever get 12 invocations, and that 7 is quite generous, but a paladin with the Battle Blessing feat is the best choice, though perhaps not the best when it comes to all-day stamina.

Depending on what you are doing with your spells, it could be. For other people, the at-will aspect of this ACF will be much more useful

The loss of healing and restorative spells means you might want to look at pumping up how Lay on hands work,

That's beyond the scope of this ACF, I'm afraid. And besides, I haven't seen many Paladins preparing Cure spells. It's like have the Rogue be the Mage slayer. Doable, but their better off doing something else.

also, for the buffing invocations, does share spell with the Special Mount mean they get the benefits too?

I would say yes, that seems reasonable.

Obviously giving a paladin Spammable cure spells is not going to go down well with anyone, but if we're going into full ACF territory, why not replace their Lay on Hands ability with a Healing Trance similar to fiendish resilliance, heck toss in a little DR, float the ACF as a fullblown Warlock/Paladin fusion, instead of just an invocations list?

That would be an entirely new class, not an ACF. A little beyond the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Sorry if my post kinda wandered with my thoughts, but this is actually quite interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing more.

All feedback is welcome!

Erik Vale
2012-11-07, 10:23 PM
Might I suggested addin invocations to the list (or just linking to) from these lists.

Chaneller (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557). Angel Based Warlock
Invocations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245205): All Angel Based.
Invocations (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192033&highlight=warlock): Almost all demon based, perfect for the blackguard as boosts or assistance.

If you don't want to make them up, take a quick look around.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-08, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the links, Erik Vale. I'll be sure to go through them.

libra66
2013-07-01, 11:46 PM
Sorry! I tried finding information about this, but I'm obviously looking in all the wrong places

Sgt. Cookie
2013-07-02, 05:29 AM
Excuse me?