PDA

View Full Version : Magus lvl 7 feat? And spending 100,000 in GP!

Brock Samson
2012-11-04, 11:08 PM
So my Bladebound Kensai Magus just hit level 7 today at the end of the session, we also ran into a boatload of money, 100,000 in GP PER PLAYER. So I need some good feat suggestions, and some good equipment suggestions.

I'm not sure where/when/what we'll be able to actually spend the GP on, but I don't think it will be terribly difficult for cheaper items, just not sure right now.

I'm a Tiefling w/ a Prehensile Tail.
Ability scores are: Str 13, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 20, Wis 12, Cha 7.
So far I've picked up Empower, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (from Kensai), Armor of the Pit (+2 N.A.), and Power Attack.

I was considering spending the 2 feats Tieflings can get to See in Darkness, all forms of magical darkness, just because it would be really really cool, and throwing down Deeper Darkness and being able to see in it sounds pretty deadly (especially once I get Int to damage vs Flat-footed opponents).

And as far as the truly obscene amount of money goes... Obviously items to enhance my Dex, Int, and Con, and some Pearls of Power, but what else? Cmome on now - suggestions!

herrhauptmann
2012-11-04, 11:35 PM
I'd suggest +2 dex and con, with a +4 int. (Casting is int based, right?)

I'd also recommend upgrading your weapons/armor in some way. Upgrade how? Sorry I can't say. My experience is mostly in 3.5, so I'd have to doublecheck the full PF item list for good suggestions.

3.5 suggestions
Can you get a 'tail blade' of some sort?
If so, a +1 weapon with speed, eager, warning (3.5 enchantments that might be in PF) would be useful to put on your tailblade. Some just require the weapon be worn on a belt, others have it that the weapon must also carried in hand/tail.
A 'smoking' weapon from Lords of Darkness (3.0) would also be useful. Gotta account for differences in cover/concealment between editions, but I think it comes out to 25% miss chances at all times, except when you receive a movement based AOO.

Blyte
2012-11-04, 11:51 PM
I don't think power attack works with weapon finesse, I think that's what they built piranha strike for. easy fix.

I'd suggest definitely picking up an agile + keen weapon.. I am not too familiar with the "black blade" and perhaps this conflicts.

As far as feats go, you might pick up intensify spell, to start opening up the cap on your first level spells.

... or you could go completely crazy and...

You might also pick up agile maneuvers in preparation for taking a 1 dip in monk(flowing) at level 8.

this will net you 2 to all saves, open up wisdom as a stat that also feeds your AC, give you unarmed strike, and a bonus feat, namely improved trip.

then when you hit 9 (magus 7, monk 2) you take greater trip and vicious stomp. (you will also want an agile necklace of mighty fists or knuckles) this will also get you evasion, which it's a shame not having with such a great reflex save.

so anyone attacking you with your INT+DEX+WIS+magic items/spells bolstered ac, gets tripped and hit 2 times for their trouble. then on your turn you can really open up on them while they lay on the floor and you get a +4 to hit bonus.

the only problem with this, is it takes 2 levels from your magus class, and you already seem somewhat vested in the spell side of it, having picked up empower spell. I would not have done that considering the kensai has a stunted magical aptitude compared to a base magus.. but you might be wary of stunting that even further with a monk dip.

also the kensai starts turning into a real crit monster in the upper levels, with all the critical focus feats available to them... I'm not sure how high in level your game is going, but if it's capping around 12 consider the dip.. if it's going 13+ it might be better to stay pure till 13, and then perhaps dip.

Brock Samson
2012-11-06, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far - any other feat or item suggestions people have?

This is pretty much just PF, not 3.5.

My weapon is already Agile, and I can enhance it to be Keen via my arcana pool.

I don't think I want to deviate out from Magus, but will consider it...

And Intensify Spell is great, but I was thinking of just having it as a Rod (a cheap rod at that) - as I've got the 2 trais that make my Empowered Shocking Grasp only a 1st level spell still (makes Pearls of Power 1 super-super-useful).

Blyte
2012-11-06, 04:30 PM
what traits are you referring to?

the only one coming to mind is "magical lineage" which would make an empowered shocking grasp into a 2nd level spell, rather than 3rd.

how did you get it down to only 1st level? also, baring in mind that trait bonuses don't stack.

watchwood
2012-11-06, 05:37 PM
Intensified Spell is bread and butter for a Magus - far better then empowered spells once you get higher up in level.

+stat gear will be a good choice for you. You can also look into a better sword, or more defensive gear.

Eldonauran
2012-11-06, 05:51 PM
Intensified Spell is bread and butter for a Magus - far better then empowered spells once you get higher up in level.

This. 1,000% percent this feat!

Increases the max damage cap of the spells by 5 die, for only +1 spell level. So, prep shocking grasp as a second level spell with this feat and you'll be swinging it at 7d6 immediately, capping at 10d6 by level 10.

watchwood
2012-11-07, 10:07 AM
This. 1,000% percent this feat!

Increases the max damage cap of the spells by 5 die, for only +1 spell level. So, prep shocking grasp as a second level spell with this feat and you'll be swinging it at 7d6 immediately, capping at 10d6 by level 10.

Pretty much. Take Magical Lineage for it, and you're throwing out 10d6 electrical damage every round by using just a first level spell slot. Toss is a Ring of Wizardry and some Pearls of Power, and you can go pretty much all day.