PDA

View Full Version : Fun with 400 gold!

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 01:51 AM
What's the best use of 400 gold you can think off?

It can be singular, if its an item, or multiple items.

Note: This is most certainly not me trying to find an interesting way to use the last of my Wealth By Level. :smallbiggrin:

VGLordR2
2012-11-05, 01:58 AM
Four jugs of Shapesand.

eggs
2012-11-05, 02:01 AM
A fun handbook on this kind of thing:
Complete MacGuyver (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0)

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 02:04 AM
A fun handbook on this kind of thing:
Complete MacGuyver (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11066.0)

This makes me happy.

Eurus
2012-11-05, 02:32 AM
Keep it on hand. Use it for bribes, transport, room and board, whatever. Or buy three dozen mules and enough feed to keep them around for a month or so.

Flickerdart
2012-11-05, 02:34 AM
2000 chickens.

Rubik
2012-11-05, 02:47 AM
Use it to craft 1,200 gold pieces.

Or buy a Quaal's feather token, or some of the low-cost goodies out of the MIC. Or a scroll that gives a permanent benefit, such as tossing a casting of Continual Flame on a dull gray ioun stone (50 gp, floats around your head without actually doing anything, though if you're psionic you can pull 1 pp out of it before it disintegrates).

nyjastul69
2012-11-05, 04:02 AM
If you have a decent UMD, scrolls are cheap. Potions are pretty cheap as well.

Rubik
2012-11-05, 04:10 AM
If you have a decent UMD, scrolls are cheap. Potions are pretty cheap expensive as well.Fixed it.

Potions are too expensive and are too unwieldy to use to bother with. Get psionic tattoos, if you want something similar to a potion, because those are quite a bit superior, even if the cost the same and work similarly.

nyjastul69
2012-11-05, 04:26 AM
Fixed it.

Potions are too expensive and are too unwieldy to use to bother with. Get things some DM's disallow, if you want something similar to a potion, because those are quite a bit superior, even if the cost the same and work similarly.

Refixed a bit.

Rubik
2012-11-05, 04:30 AM
Refixed a bit.Really? I wasn't aware that psionic items were banned in most games, especially when psionics is generally rather highly regarded. (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602:k9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID:1&q=psionic+tattoos#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=psionic%20tattoos)

nyjastul69
2012-11-05, 04:41 AM
Really? I wasn't aware that psionic items were banned in most games, especially when psionics is generally rather highly regarded. (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602:k9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID:1&q=psionic+tattoos#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=psionic%20tattoos)

While psionics is highly regarded on this board I'm not sure it should be an assumption. When giving an opinion I assume nothing more than core, unless otherwise stated.

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 04:42 AM
Really? I wasn't aware that psionic items were banned in most games, especially when psionics is generally rather highly regarded. (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602:k9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID:1&q=psionic+tattoos#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=psionic%20tattoos)

My DM bans psionics for their tendency towards overpoweredness.

nyjastul69
2012-11-05, 04:59 AM
My DM bans psionics for their tendency towards overpoweredness.

Is ToB allowed? Scripts might work as well.

Rubik
2012-11-05, 05:11 AM
My DM bans psionics for their tendency towards overpoweredness.Perhaps he should look at all the tier 1 classes in the PHB and their spells if he wants to look at overpoweredness.

I can't be held responsible for other people's ignorance.

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 05:12 AM
Perhaps he should look at all the tier 1 classes in the PHB and their spells if he wants to look at overpoweredness.

I am currently working on him letting me use psionics in the next campaign we do.

Crustypeanut
2012-11-05, 05:25 AM
Perhaps he should look at all the tier 1 classes in the PHB and their spells if he wants to look at overpoweredness.

As a DM of Pathfinder, I'm all for Psionics.. the group of players I play with? Completely against it. They say the same thing - Psionics is Overpowered. Which is why I'm currently playing a Wizard in one of their campaigns, and will be throwing spellcasters galore at them in my own campaign.. >:)

I mean you think'd the DM allowing something 'overpowered' that the players were allowed to use would be ok with the players, right? RIGHT? But their.. logic.. it makes no sense.

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 05:31 AM
As a DM of Pathfinder, I'm all for Psionics.. the group of players I play with? Completely against it. They say the same thing - Psionics is Overpowered. Which is why I'm currently playing a Wizard in one of their campaigns, and will be throwing spellcasters galore at them in my own campaign.. >:)

I mean you think'd the DM allowing something 'overpowered' that the players were allowed to use would be ok with the players, right? RIGHT? But their.. logic.. it makes no sense.

We play 3.5 if that makes a difference. But yes, I am currently working on him.

willpell
2012-11-05, 05:38 AM
It took a long time to persuade me to allow psionics, not because it was overpowered but because I didn't like the flavor. Eventually I tolerated it for long enough to both develop a fondness for the mechanics and to come up with some satisfactory refluffing ideas.

AdamT
2012-11-05, 06:58 AM
400 gold and no one has mentioned a few thousand trips to the brothel?

DigoDragon
2012-11-05, 08:08 AM
I don't remember the exact price tag, but for around 400gp one of my clerics once bought a slave. Cleaned her up and began teaching her to be my squire. Became a trustworthy companion for a while and helped with the more mundane tasks of an adventurer.
Lots of fun RP sessions with her around. She had sarcasm down to an art.

Amidus Drexel
2012-11-05, 10:24 AM
1. Buy a 8,000 10ft ladders.
2. Break them into 16,000 10ft poles and a bunch of firewood.
3. Sell the 10ft poles and firewood.
4. Repeat until you can afford a scroll of wish.

Zubrowka74
2012-11-05, 02:52 PM
Chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.

Invader
2012-11-05, 07:36 PM
3. Sell the 10ft poles and firewood.
4. Repeat until you can afford a scroll of wish.

Beat me to it... :smallamused:

ericgrau
2012-11-05, 08:23 PM
Class matters. Any melee or range almost certainly wants to put most of it into a masterwork weapon or into armor. Casters OTOH can get scrolls instead of more expensive items. Not that potions aren't cheap, they're awesome and more than affordable in about 1 level. But they aren't 400 gp budget cheap.

That leaves only a few gp for basic mundane gear. Backpack, waterskin, food, rope, grappling hook, hammer & pitons, fire source and lots and lots of oil for that matter. Plus the flour bomb (reveals invisible) and other such tricks.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-05, 08:33 PM
Pay 400 peasants to punch each other in the stomach.:smallwink:

Zombulian
2012-11-05, 08:55 PM
While psionics is highly regarded on this board I'm not sure it should be an assumption. When giving an opinion I assume nothing more than core, unless otherwise stated.

I think his point was that it's kinda silly for people to ban psionics if they aren't going to ban regular casting. Especially considering it has basically been added to Core and the SRD. EPH barely even counts as a splat.

Zombulian
2012-11-05, 08:57 PM

Or just one to hold your umbrella. :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2012-11-05, 09:01 PM
Or just one to hold your umbrella. :smallcool:

:smallconfused:What does that have to do with anything? Are there even umbrellas in D&D?

VGLordR2
2012-11-05, 09:52 PM
:smallconfused:What does that have to do with anything? Are there even umbrellas in D&D?

There's a parasol in Sandstorm.

Amidus Drexel
2012-11-05, 09:54 PM

I changed my mind. Purchase an equal number of slaves commoner servants and parasols, and have them follow you around.

roguemetal
2012-11-05, 10:05 PM
Hands down my vote goes to buying 5 Chaos Flasks.
Chaos Flasks basically allow you to emulate any non-magical item of the same size or smaller, entirely disregarding cost.
It has brilliant versatility, and if you can't think of a way to abuse it, you aren't thinking hard enough.

dascarletm
2012-11-05, 10:50 PM
go to the nearest large city in your campaign and host vagrant fights over the money! Should be entertaining until the city guard breaks it up.

Almagesto
2012-11-05, 10:55 PM
If you're a necromancer: 1 unholy arrow (361 gp). Just hand it to good 1st lvl commoners and boom! Minions :) *Kudos to K.530 from the WotC community.

Cranthis
2012-11-05, 11:03 PM
Hands down my vote goes to buying 5 Chaos Flasks.
Chaos Flasks basically allow you to emulate any non-magical item of the same size or smaller, entirely disregarding cost.
It has brilliant versatility, and if you can't think of a way to abuse it, you aren't thinking hard enough.

Is Shapesand jar not the same?

Edit: Shapesand is the same, except it can't be made into poisons and such. Says nothing about keys though haha.

ericgrau
2012-11-05, 11:13 PM
If you're a necromancer: 1 unholy arrow (361 gp). Just hand it to good 1st lvl commoners and boom! Minions :) *Kudos to K.530 from the WotC community.

Lol that will kill the commoners but it's not the same as level drain from a wight so no free spawn. Free bodies though.

Grendus
2012-11-05, 11:50 PM
A scroll of Unseen Servant runs 25 gp. While Unseen Servants are barred from attacking, they aren't barred from actions that cause damage... like dropping things.

Acid and Alchemists fire are both somewhat expensive, and since the Unseen Servant isn't allowed to directly attack it can't do anything more than drop it in the targets square and hit them with splash damage. A 1 sp flask of oil, however, does 1d3 damage to the square it's in when poured out and lit... say, by a dropped 1 cp torch. An Unseen Servant can pour out a flask of oil and drop torches into enemy squares for a free 1d3 damage per round. Not too useful at higher levels, but for a level 1 or 2 Wizard/Bard that's a fairly decent amount of damage over the course of several battles (which, with a duration of 1 hr/level, they could easily reach).

Unseen Servants can also be used for a variety of ranged "attacks" that don't require that you actually hit anybody. Thunderstones, Caltrops, Smokesticks... all sorts of things that you might not want to waste an action using can be fired by an Unseen Servant since they're all simple tasks (dump out the bag, drop the Thunderstone over there, touch the Smokestick with your torch). A very useful, very easy way to break the action economy for less than 50gp.

Slipperychicken
2012-11-06, 12:00 AM

20 first level mercenary warriors for 66 days. Pay them to stab your enemies in the face. For 3sp a day. You can't make this stuff up :smallbiggrin:

Do hirelings get a cut of the xp?

Woodzyowl
2012-11-06, 12:14 AM
Get 20 gallons of Gnome Golden Light and 25 gallons of Pulsch Brown Ale (both in Arms and Equipment Guide). Start a tavern.

Eugenides
2012-11-06, 12:30 AM

I'm thinking more spend 55 gold on masterwork Artisan's tools(carpenter). You can still buy 6900 ladders and make 13800 10-ft poles.

Now. That is a little over 26 miles worth of pole, with a masterwork tool for affixing wooden things together.

Or you could just build a fort.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-06, 02:32 AM

Those are different. And lame. And differently lame.:smallwink:

nyjastul69
2012-11-08, 12:42 AM
I think his point was that it's kinda silly for people to ban psionics if they aren't going to ban regular casting. Especially considering it has basically been added to Core and the SRD. EPH barely even counts as a splat.

I agree. Your, and my own opinion aside, psionics are not core.

toapat
2012-11-08, 01:10 AM
I agree. Your, and my own opinion aside, psionics are not core.

actually, Psionics are more core then core (less is cut from the XPH then the DMG, MM1, and PHB each). The actual most significant reason i can say i wouldnt allow Psionics in a campaign is because, Psionics doesnt fit High Fantasy. Psionics is a mechanical system for Starwars' Force, more balanced and written with at least a concern for breaking the game in half potential. it is just that Psionics = Science Fiction. If Planescape had seen 3.5 print, maybe Psionics would see more love.

The only broken stuff Psionics gets is all time manipulation, which Vancian does better anyway, having a base class who has a PrC that effectively grants your character the Time Dragon's At will SLA, or to make an immortal who no one can kill, which is still done better by vancian.

Cranthis
2012-11-08, 01:31 AM
vancian.

This word. What is this. It intrigues my urge for more knowledge.

Flickerdart
2012-11-08, 01:50 AM
This word. What is this. It intrigues my urge for more knowledge.
"Vancian" refers to prepared casting from spell slots (Wizard, Cleric, Druid), which originated in the writings of Jack Vance. The lore is that a spell actually takes ages to cast, but a wizard "casts" most of it in the morning and holds it in his mind, and during the day the act of casting is just finishing the cast you started hours ago.

Rubik
2012-11-08, 08:43 AM
actually, Psionics are more core then core (less is cut from the XPH then the DMG, MM1, and PHB each). The actual most significant reason i can say i wouldnt allow Psionics in a campaign is because, Psionics doesnt fit High Fantasy. Psionics is a mechanical system for Starwars' Force, more balanced and written with at least a concern for breaking the game in half potential. it is just that Psionics = Science Fiction. If Planescape had seen 3.5 print, maybe Psionics would see more love.

The only broken stuff Psionics gets is all time manipulation, which Vancian does better anyway, having a base class who has a PrC that effectively grants your character the Time Dragon's At will SLA, or to make an immortal who no one can kill, which is still done better by vancian.Um... Just how much fantasy and sci fi have you read? Because the idea of the Vancian system came from a science fiction series, and psionics can be used to easily emulate the vast majority of magic I've seen in fantasy far more easily than spell slots. When was the last time that Rand al'Thor had to memorize spells for the day?

Zombulian
2012-11-08, 08:58 AM

The only broken stuff Psionics gets is all time manipulation, which Vancian does better anyway, having a base class who has a PrC that effectively grants your character the Time Dragon's At will SLA, or to make an immortal who no one can kill, which is still done better by vancian.

Did you ever hear the theory that Gandalf is a level 4 Psion?

toapat
2012-11-08, 08:59 AM
Um... Just how much fantasy and sci fi have you read? Because the idea of the Vancian system came from a science fiction series, and psionics can be used to easily emulate the vast majority of magic I've seen in fantasy far more easily than spell slots. When was the last time that Rand al'Thor had to memorize spells for the day?

Vancian got kinda hijacked from Scifi. , it doesnt make it less stupid, it is just that people see it more as a fantasy system then a system named psionics

Did you ever hear the theory that Gandalf is a level 4 Psion?

ive heard compelling evidence that the only class that Gandalf doesnt have is Wizard itself

Rubik
2012-11-08, 09:59 AM
Vancian got kinda hijacked from Scifi. , it doesnt make it less stupid, it is just that people see it more as a fantasy system then a system named psionicsAnd the system is so insanely easy to refluff it's ridiculous. I do it all the time. I'd like to see how many ways you can refluff the wizard into something that doesn't have to rely on books and study.

toapat
2012-11-08, 10:58 AM
And the system is so insanely easy to refluff it's ridiculous. I do it all the time. I'd like to see how many ways you can refluff the wizard into something that doesn't have to rely on books and study.

there is a dragon varient wizard that uses weed to memorize spells

Slipperychicken
2012-11-08, 01:18 PM
there is a dragon varient wizard that uses weed to memorize spells

Eidetic Spellcaster only needs weed to learn spells. And by god he gets the most out of it. He buys up to 900gp worth (remember; most people are only making <100gp a year)... and makes the stuff last 48 hours straight, no breaks.

toapat
2012-11-08, 01:31 PM
Eidetic Spellcaster only needs weed to learn spells. And by god he gets the most out of it. He buys up to 900gp worth (remember; most people are only making <100gp a year)... and makes the stuff last 48 hours straight, no breaks.

memorize as in thats how his spellbook works.

best ACF ever though.