PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Trade [3.5 mini-sourcebook]

qwertyu63
2012-11-05, 11:40 AM
The who: qwertyu63, i.e. me

The what: A 30 page homebrew source book on crafts and sales.

The why: I had so many ideas for stuff relating to the marketplace that I decided to make a book.

The where: You can find it for free in PDF form at this link (http://www.scribd.com/doc/112191325/Tome-of-Trade).

The when: It will be available there for the foreseeable future.

The extras: Anything I forgot will be edited into this post, until I can correct in the PDF.

Corrections not yet put in book:
Perfect Alchemist (Total remake):
At level 8, the Craftsman gains the ability to create non-magical devices and concoctions that mimic certain wondrous items. They can create any wondrous item on the following list. Doing this requires a DC 25 + (Caster Level *10) Craft (Alchemy) check, and is crafted like any other non-magical crafting. You do not need the Craft Wondrous Item feat to use this ability. The caster level of the wondrous item is equal to the normal caster level for that item.

Craftsman Wondrous Item List:
Craftsman can make the following wondrous items using Perfect Alchemist.

Elixir of Truth
Elixir of Vision
Elixir of Hiding
Elixir of Fire Breath

Dust of Dryness
Dust of Illusion
Dust of Tracelessness

Bag of Tricks, Grey
Pearl of Power, 1st
Handy Haversack

Eyes of the Eagle
Cloak of Elvenkind

Feather Token, Tree
Silversheen

Marvelous Pigments

AuraTwilight
2012-11-05, 05:04 PM
I love this very much. The classes are very nice NPC classes (and worth dipping in for PCs), the spells are flavorful and fill a niche I don't see filled very adequately...

Btw, I like Bind Deal, Levy Death, Mage's Magnificent Market, and the Transmute spells.

Favorite magic items: Seller's Crate, Craftsmen's Satchel, Exchange Pouch, BOTTLE IMP OMG REFERENCES I LOVE YOU.

The entire Market chapter is very neat!

So yea...I want this. I want this a lot.

Loki_42
2012-11-05, 07:23 PM
Well, I'm liking what I've read so far. The classes are cool for NPCs or that special kind of campaign, and I could actually taking Con Man in a normal campaign. I'll post full thoughts when I've read the rest of it, but good stuff so far.

qwertyu63
2012-11-06, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the opinions, both of you.

Yeah, this book is intended, mostly, for a special kind of campaign (which Chrome informs me I can't spell), but I, as Loki said, could see the Con Man in a normal one, and I think a Craftsman with all the bells and whistles (and a Craftsman's Satchel) could work on the road.

BTW, the Bottle Imp, what price(s) would you buy it at? :smallamused: (We need an evil grin emoticon.)

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-06, 09:53 AM
Can you put multiples of small items into the Seller's Crate, for example could you put in 5 cloves of garlic, or would you have to put them in one at a time?

If it is the former, that makes for a very nice service, even deep in a dungeon. Chuck in loads of crap, like old plates or bowls, and get cash.

Even if it's the latter, a few of these things in a Bag of Holding would be a fantastic loot stop. Throw in an automaton to check the crates, remove gold and add items into them. OK, I'm over thinking this, aren't I?

qwertyu63
2012-11-06, 04:35 PM
Can you put multiples of small items into the Seller's Crate, for example could you put in 5 cloves of garlic, or would you have to put them in one at a time?

I don't see why not. Makes sense to me.

Karoht
2012-11-06, 05:10 PM
Funny story.

In one of our campaigns, we had a DM who was a stickler for accounting for coppers and silvers and gold and other such wealth, and he worked in a 100-1 conversion system rather than a 10-1 system. And we got a bit annoyed with the particulars of having to constantly change/exchange money. And we were also too cheap to just round up.
He also had a tendancy to work out currency specifics, so some gold coins, while having a 1gp value in province A, would have a 1.25gp value in province B, or some variation thereof.
When we had to find storage space for 4 metric tonnes of copper coins only to find out it wasn't really worth the effort to carry it all... yeah, we were annoyed.

So because we complained, he created a series of tubes. They all linked together and converted wealth rather handily.

There was a tube which converted copper to silver and vice versa. One for silver to gold, one for gold to platinum, and then any wealth after that was turned into gems. Put a coin in the tube at the top, out came the transmuted coin/s of equal value at the bottom. We found all the tubes as loot over the course of 5 dungeons, and it was always exciting to find one.

So when we found the one that converts platinum coins to gems, we put them all together, and dropped a 500g ruby in the top, and watched as a bajillion copper pieces basically exploded out the bottom. One would think that would be warning enough to be careful with such a device, but no.

So we're in a dungeon, and we find a gem that will fit in the tube, and we have no idea what it is worth. We get back to town, hook up our tubes, and drop the gem in the top.
The explosion of copper pieces was enough to basically demolish the house we were in, and flooded the street facing the house with about a foot of copper pieces. The locals were shoveling coins into their house. We never got it all back. Not even close.

qwertyu63
2012-11-06, 10:07 PM
Funny story.

In one of our campaigns, we had a DM who was a stickler for accounting for coppers and silvers and gold and other such wealth, and he worked in a 100-1 conversion system rather than a 10-1 system. And we got a bit annoyed with the particulars of having to constantly change/exchange money. And we were also too cheap to just round up.
He also had a tendancy to work out currency specifics, so some gold coins, while having a 1gp value in province A, would have a 1.25gp value in province B, or some variation thereof.
When we had to find storage space for 4 metric tonnes of copper coins only to find out it wasn't really worth the effort to carry it all... yeah, we were annoyed.

So because we complained, he created a series of tubes. They all linked together and converted wealth rather handily.

There was a tube which converted copper to silver and vice versa. One for silver to gold, one for gold to platinum, and then any wealth after that was turned into gems. Put a coin in the tube at the top, out came the transmuted coin/s of equal value at the bottom. We found all the tubes as loot over the course of 5 dungeons, and it was always exciting to find one.

So when we found the one that converts platinum coins to gems, we put them all together, and dropped a 500g ruby in the top, and watched as a bajillion copper pieces basically exploded out the bottom. One would think that would be warning enough to be careful with such a device, but no.

So we're in a dungeon, and we find a gem that will fit in the tube, and we have no idea what it is worth. We get back to town, hook up our tubes, and drop the gem in the top.
The explosion of copper pieces was enough to basically demolish the house we were in, and flooded the street facing the house with about a foot of copper pieces. The locals were shoveling coins into their house. We never got it all back. Not even close.

... :smalleek: That sounds awesome, but dang...

ZippoMoon
2012-11-08, 04:16 PM
Hey could you post this book on 4shared plz? The site your using hates me! Also BROHOOF! /)

qwertyu63
2012-11-08, 05:48 PM
Hey could you post this book on 4shared plz? The site your using hates me! Also BROHOOF! /)

Wish granted! (http://www.4shared.com/office/cZx1Nh8p/Tome_of_Trade.html) BTW, (\