PDA

View Full Version : Spells that directly affect weapons

Linic
2012-11-05, 12:52 PM
Oh great and powerful Players of the Ground hear my pleas and find me worthy of.. "cough" ok enough of that :smallwink:, hello all, the duskblade in the party and I (DM) agree that his spell list is a little too restrictive so I've agreed to open it up with an extra list of spells and a increase in the number of spells he can learn to accommodate.

His characters backstory is he wanted to grow up to be a great swordsman like his father and though he grew to be a good swordsman in his own right he could never quite reach the level of the art his father had, he did however have a decent talent with magic and saw it as a tool to prove himself in his fathers eyes.

So now as the title states I'm looking for a large list of spells that directly affect weapons, they can be anything from spells like Whirling Blade and Bladeweave to Burning Sword and Sonic Weapon.
(Note: I do not need spells that create weapons as theres another thread that covered that quite well)

Thank you in advance all who respond to this. :smallbiggrin:

Linic
2012-11-08, 10:19 AM
Huh I didn't expect a huge response or anything but nothing at all?

Feralventas
2012-11-08, 11:15 AM
Brilliant Blade comes to mind, but I don't recall if Duskblade has access to 6th level spells (6th level wizard, 7th Cleric).

Burning Sword, 2nd level in SPC.

Checkmate's Light, 2nd level Paladin spell.

Critical Strike (1st level)

Cursed Blade (Assasin, 4th level): Damage dealt by a weapon under this effect can't be healed without a Remove Curse being used first. Foes killed by them cannot be resurrected without Remove Curse either.

Deafening Clang (Paladin1) +1d6 sonic damage, target must fort-save or be deafened for 1 minute.

Dolorous Blow (Sorc/Wizard/Bard 3) Double crit range of your weapon (doesn't stack with Keen or Imp. Crit.) and auto-crit on a threat.

Flame Dagger( Sorc/wiz 2) Pretty Meh, but it stacks with your caster level, is a touch attack, and isn't horrible if you've been disarmed.

Foebane (Ranger4) Non-magical weapon becomes +5 and deals +2d6 damage against specific foe. Gain +4 resistance bonus vs effects of target foe's kind.

Ghost-touch weapon, (Cleric 3)

Mountain Stance (Sorc/Wizard/Druid 2) isn't a sword spell, but it's pretty useful if you find yourself the victim of a lot of combat maneuvers like grapples or bull-rushes. Caster level to combat maneuver checks.

And all that took was control+F on the spell compendium pdf.

only1doug
2012-11-08, 11:22 AM
Mighty Wallop, Bludgeoning weapon gains 1 size category for 1 minute / level. Sorc/ wizard L1 (Races of the Dragon)

Greater Mighty Wallop, Bludgeoning weapon gains 1 size category / 4 levels for 1 hour / level. Sorc/ wizard L3 (Races of the Dragon)

prufock
2012-11-08, 11:41 AM
From the SRD:

Keen Edge doubles crit range.
Magic Weapon and Greater Magic Weapon, naturally.
Align Weapon.
Shillelagh.
Changestaff.
Ironwood.
Holy Sword.
Spellstaff.
Magic Fang and Greater Magic Fang.

Plus spells that can affect objects in general.

Garagos
2012-11-08, 12:06 PM
Brilliant Blade comes to mind, but I don't recall if Duskblade has access to 6th level spells

I don't believe they get spell slots that high (AFB right now) but they do get disintegrate as a 4th or 5th level spell so I'd say its ok for any higher level spells to be brought down into lower slots this way as long as the DM is ok with it.

Kansaschaser
2012-11-08, 12:33 PM
Animate Weapon - Complete Mage, page 95.

Great spell when used to animate colossal weapons. :smallamused:

Diarmuid
2012-11-08, 12:56 PM
Huh I didn't expect a huge response or anything but nothing at all?

Your requets wasnt really looking for advice or for opinions, it was basically saying "hey, can someone go look a bunch of stuff up for me as I dont feel like doing it".

As you can imagine, not a lot of people are looking to jump at the opportunity to do other peoples' work.

Linic
2012-11-08, 03:21 PM
I didn't mean for it to come off as "lazy" and in hindsight I could have written the op better then I had, I'm on a very old computer that isn't good for much more then websurfing and even that is a slow drawnout battle or normally I would find a data base and do the research myself but

1. my laptop that has almost all of my D&D data is currently out being repaired because my 100 pound dog randomly decided he was a lapdog and jumped into my lap destroying the keyboard and i only have a couple of books outside core

2. if you have a problem this forum seems to be able to not only answer it, but give every possible way to go about it and 99% of the time I can find a thread that already covers my questions

So again sorry if I came off lazy i didnt mean for it and thanks again to all who responded to my post.

BobVosh
2012-11-09, 08:44 AM
Roland made an amazing extended spell list for duskblades. I know its not exactly what you asked for, but it is pretty awesome. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2416523&postcount=4)

Linic
2012-11-09, 12:01 PM
Wow! that is impressive and it'll help a great deal in balancing out the new spell list, he wants to be a magically powered frontline melee fighter so he choose Duskblade, but after we looked at the spell list it screamed underpowered, so I'm editing and refining the list with other melee based spells while adding some more general purpose ones. I was thinking of overhauling the class abit and refluffing it as a different branch of the Warmage organization, the Warmages blast from a distance while the Duskblades (Probably give it a new name) holds the enemy's attention etc...

TopCheese
2012-11-09, 12:13 PM
And all that took was control+F on the spell compendium pdf.

Yeah not everyone is a pirate though :smallannoyed:

Anyways, OP I really hope you bear some fruit on the Warmage/Duskblade front. It sounds like a great idea!

What would the name be? Duskmage? Mageblade? Warblade.... Err wait...

:smalltongue:

Anyways seriously though bringing the Warmage up to tier 3 and making him melee ish focused would be nice!

LTwerewolf
2012-11-09, 12:41 PM
Yeah not everyone is a pirate though :smallannoyed:

Anyways, OP I really hope you bear some fruit on the Warmage/Duskblade front. It sounds like a great idea!

What would the name be? Duskmage? Mageblade? Warblade.... Err wait...

:smalltongue:

Anyways seriously though bringing the Warmage up to tier 3 and making him melee ish focused would be nice!

Just because you have a pdf doesn't make you a pirate. I have the pdf but I also own the book. It's convenient to look things up because of the whole search function.

TopCheese
2012-11-09, 01:39 PM
Just because you have a pdf doesn't make you a pirate. I have the pdf but I also own the book. It's convenient to look things up because of the whole search function.

Last I heard that is still against the rules.

Don't get me wrong I think you should be able to back up the material but I'm looking into this now. Heck if something is no longer supported or sold it should be fair game (though not to sell for your own profit/gain).

Even if it is legal, that doesn't mean everyone has that book to change to a pdf. Actually I'm sure 3.5 stuff has been out of print for a while so assuming someone should have the book isn't a great thing to do.

LTwerewolf
2012-11-09, 01:44 PM
As per copyright law, there's no law against making a backup or against putting it to cloud, there's only laws against distributing it without the publisher's consent.

TopCheese
2012-11-09, 02:07 PM
As per copyright law, there's no law against making a backup or against putting it to cloud, there's only laws against distributing it without the publisher's consent.

I'm at lunch now (god things have been slow today) but do you actually info backing your claim up? Google and my phone doesn't work so well (plus some sites) so I won't be able to look it up till after work.

LTwerewolf
2012-11-09, 03:03 PM
Look it up to your contentment. Copyright law is concerned about unlawful distribution (thus, lost sales). Making a copy for yourself is by no means infringement.

here you go (http://www.copyright.gov/title17/)