PDA

View Full Version : Awesome co-op games

darkbuu_1
2012-11-05, 01:16 PM
I'm looking for a new co-op game so I thought I'd come here and get everyone to reminisce about their favourite co-op games for some inspiration.

So to start us off I'll list some of my favourite

The Mystical Ninja 2 staring Goemon
Zombies ates my neighbours
Alien Hominid
Tales of Symphonia
Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

I have such fond memories of playing the Mystical ninja 2 on my n64 back in the day with its side scrolling platforming goodness, giant mech fight boss battles, hidden costumes and an amusing story. What I wouldn't give for a wii shop download for this, or Zombies ate my neighbours.

So if anyone knows of a good co-op game, one that's not too hard as I'll be playing with a casual gamer, maybe something with s Ratchet and Clank or original Spyro feel to it.

Sipex
2012-11-05, 02:02 PM
So many great co-op games out there. For you, I'd recommend going for one of the Lego series games though, great co-op experience and casual gamer friendly.

That said, what are our console options besides Wii?

Sith_Happens
2012-11-05, 02:34 PM
If you like shooters even a little bit then there ain't no co-op like Borderlands (2) co-op. Gaige/the Mechromancer class has a skill tree designed specifically for non-shooter players, which should keep things from getting too hard for your friend.

Tebryn
2012-11-05, 02:49 PM
I'm going to offer up Dungeon Defenders. A Tower Defense/RPG fusion that's a whole lot of fun with the more people you can play with. With constant support (A lot of it free) and a bucket load of DLC ranging from levels to classes the game never gets to dull for a light romp of play. I would also offer up Left 4 Dead 2 though it may be a bit hard on the casual player.

The_Jackal
2012-11-05, 03:49 PM
There is no co-op game better than Left 4 Dead 2. Period.

Tavar
2012-11-05, 04:16 PM
What systems, and are you talking Co-op in person or over multiple consoles?

Krade
2012-11-05, 04:44 PM
I'm going to offer up Dungeon Defenders. A Tower Defense/RPG fusion that's a whole lot of fun with the more people you can play with. With constant support (A lot of it free) and a bucket load of DLC ranging from levels to classes the game never gets to dull for a light romp of play. I would also offer up Left 4 Dead 2 though it may be a bit hard on the casual player.

You obviously play it on PC. All that awesome support you're talking about? Nowhere to be found on Xbox. There's the level DLCs and that's about it. We didn't even get the other characters.

darkbuu_1
2012-11-05, 04:54 PM
We have access to xbox360, ps1-3, snes to wii and I've been thinking of getting a new megadrive, so age isn't really a problem though availability might be.

Neither of us huge shooter fans, shooter elements are fine but some kind of auto-lock would have to involved. I didn't know about that class in Boarderlands so I will look into that for myself and my more shooter inclined friends.

The lego games are a good suggestion we enjoyed both of the Lego Harry Potters and will getting the Lego LotR when I comes out,

Zetapup
2012-11-05, 06:49 PM
I believe the Portal games have a co-op mode. I know Portal 2 has one, but I'm not completely certain about Portal 1. In case you haven't played it before, Portal is an excellent puzzle type game requiring decent problem solving skills. The single player mode is rather amusing and I highly recommend it.

Mando Knight
2012-11-05, 07:04 PM
I believe the Portal games have a co-op mode. I know Portal 2 has one, but I'm not completely certain about Portal 1. In case you haven't played it before, Portal is an excellent puzzle type game requiring decent problem solving skills. The single player mode is rather amusing and I highly recommend it.

The original Portal has no multiplayer.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-05, 08:54 PM
Neither of us huge shooter fans, shooter elements are fine but some kind of auto-lock would have to involved. I didn't know about that class in Boarderlands so I will look into that for myself and my more shooter inclined friends.

Gaige is DLC, $10 I think. The "Best Friends Forever" skill tree is the one you want. One of the first skills in it you can get gives your missed shots a 12% chance per point (max five points = 60%) to ricochet into enemies for half damage; not a lock-on per se, but it's about the next best thing. The rest of the tree is dedicated alternately to boosting your survivability and twinking out the character's fully-autonomous killer robot buddy.

Grif
2012-11-05, 08:56 PM
I'm looking for a new co-op game so I thought I'd come here and get everyone to reminisce about their favourite co-op games for some inspiration.

So to start us off I'll list some of my favourite

The Mystical Ninja 2 staring Goemon
Zombies ates my neighbours
Alien Hominid
Tales of Symphonia
Scott Pilgrim vs. the world

I have such fond memories of playing the Mystical ninja 2 on my n64 back in the day with its side scrolling platforming goodness, giant mech fight boss battles, hidden costumes and an amusing story. What I wouldn't give for a wii shop download for this, or Zombies ate my neighbours.

So if anyone knows of a good co-op game, one that's not too hard as I'll be playing with a casual gamer, maybe something with s Ratchet and Clank or original Spyro feel to it.

Wasn't there an R&C coop game that came out several months back? All 4 One, was it?

Tebryn
2012-11-06, 12:10 AM
You obviously play it on PC. All that awesome support you're talking about? Nowhere to be found on Xbox. There's the level DLCs and that's about it. We didn't even get the other characters.

Yes, and I'm aware of the issues but they're a small company and they can't really afford the class platform stuff. It's quite expansive. They made a pretty long and involved post on their site about it. The game is still fun with just the 4 classes regardless.

Meta
2012-11-06, 02:06 AM
Games I enjoyed playing with fellow university students:

Castle Crashers is pretty fun and accessible. Played it with university students and my 10 year old brother. Success with everyone. My bro and I are playing Sacred 2 right now and its got some not insignificant flaws, but we both like it.

A little more off the beaten path is Culdcept. Combine Monopoly with Magic: the Gathering and you'd get something pretty close to Culdcept. The campaign is single player, but you can play co-op against other humans or the computer in versus. There's a sequel too I believe, and imagine both are quite cheap.

Talesin
2012-11-06, 04:43 AM
It's a little bit more serious than castle crashers but Lord of the Rings: War in the North is a good game and something I really enjoyed running through with a buddy of mine. There's 3 characters, who all play quite different, and you can play with up to 3 people online if that's the kind of thing you are looking for.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-11-06, 05:09 AM
Contra. The original. No Konami Kode.

Three lives, and you can kill your buddy if you scroll too fast. Oh, and you can steal lives from your buddy as well. Fun times.

RoyVG
2012-11-06, 07:39 AM
I've played through Kirby Super Star (Fun Pack in EU) with a friend 2 weeks ago. Just rushing through it, but it was still fun. beat the whole game in one evening (and like 1 treasure in the Great Cave Offensive)

Castle Crashers, as mentioned is awesome to play with a friend, but gets better with more of course. While on the subject of beat 'm ups, TMNT Turtle in Time for SNES is pretty good.

Contra. The original. No Konami Kode.
http://www.funnydictionary.com/img/entry_images/900/vr7KUExgR8r.jpg

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-11-06, 07:43 AM
Magicka, anyone?

Sipex
2012-11-06, 11:56 AM
Also, Minecraft on the 360. The split screen fun works so well for the genre.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-06, 01:04 PM
I've played through Kirby Super Star (Fun Pack in EU) with a friend 2 weeks ago. Just rushing through it, but it was still fun. beat the whole game in one evening (and like 1 treasure in the Great Cave Offensive)

That reminds me: Kirby's Epic Yarn, a.k.a. the single most adorable thing in the history of adorableness.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland if you want more classic-style Kirby action.

DiscipleofBob
2012-11-06, 01:07 PM
We have access to xbox360, ps1-3, snes to wii and I've been thinking of getting a new megadrive, so age isn't really a problem though availability might be.

The lego games are a good suggestion we enjoyed both of the Lego Harry Potters and will getting the Lego LotR when I comes out,

Speaking as someone who normally abhors shooters, Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are some of my favorite games of all time.

So even if you're not into shooters, give it a shot.

Fair warning though, you'll need to wait a few levels until you get some of your skills to see what makes the game so fun.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-09, 10:51 PM
A friend and me always enjoyed the various LEGO X games. Indiana Jones is brilliant, especially! It's a bit simplistic, but great fun, even for grown ups.

DigoDragon
2012-11-12, 07:29 AM
My favorite classic co-op games:

Contra
Rampage
TMNT: Arcade Game
Double Dragon 2
Super Bomberman

My favorite modern co-op games:
Portal 2
Torchlight 2

Drascin
2012-11-12, 07:37 AM
Magicka. Magicka Magicka Magicka.

That game is hilarious to play with friends.

Archonic Energy
2012-11-12, 09:04 AM
Magicka. Magicka Magicka Magicka.

That game is hilarious to play with friends. people who you used to call friends

FtfY

Worms team game 1 CPU (hard) vs 2 humans...
smart moneys on the CPU "player"

Prinny Squad
2012-11-13, 10:27 AM
Orcs Must Die 2! is a fantastic co-op game.