PDA

View Full Version : Spell effects and Saves

LanSlyde
2012-11-05, 01:53 PM
So, currently in the process of building a Warforged Juggernaut. Looking over it, he currently has immunity to: Poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, sickened, energy drain, stunning, nonlethal damage, crits, mind effecting spells and abilities, death and necromancy effects, ability damage, and ability drain.

Now, that straight up negates most Save-or-Suck/Dies. But does the playground know of any quirky spells or abilities out there that targets Will and Fort but doesn't fall under the effects listed above?

Keld Denar
2012-11-05, 02:09 PM
Tentative glance, I see Slow, ability penalties (Ray of Enfeeblement/Clumsiness) and Polymorph effects.

Edit: and disintegrate effects

evil-frosty
2012-11-05, 02:13 PM
Wouldnt immunity to ability drain and damage make you immune to a penalty? Seems logical to me.

JBento
2012-11-05, 02:22 PM
Nope. You get to Ray of Enfeeblement Undeads to your heart's content.

LanSlyde
2012-11-05, 02:52 PM
Alright, now tacking on Mettle and +30 to both Fort and Will saves (this thing has that). Aside from ray of enfeeblement can you guys think of anything else that would avoid a save entirely and still not fall under immunities?

JBento
2012-11-05, 03:06 PM
There's the typical Portable-Hole-inside-a-Bag-of-Holding thing.

EDIT: Also, Reverse Gravity

DOUBLE-EDIT: Also 2, I'm now curious, what's the purpose of this thing?

Psyren
2012-11-06, 01:21 PM
Alright, now tacking on Mettle and +30 to both Fort and Will saves (this thing has that). Aside from ray of enfeeblement can you guys think of anything else that would avoid a save entirely and still not fall under immunities?

Plenty - he can still be entangled, grappled (e.g. Hand spells), trapped (walls/enclosures like Resilient Sphere and Forcecage), Mazed, and a +30 save is hard but not impossible to bypass.

dextercorvia
2012-11-06, 02:19 PM
How is your reflex save? Frost Breath will daze you on a failed reflex save.

LanSlyde
2012-11-07, 04:17 PM
How is your reflex save? Frost Breath will daze you on a failed reflex save.

Sadly he reflex save is rather poor.

Plenty - he can still be entangled, grappled (e.g. Hand spells), trapped (walls/enclosures like Resilient Sphere and Forcecage), Mazed, and a +30 save is hard but not impossible to bypass.

Hm.. In other words slap on some Freedom of Movement

There's the typical Portable-Hole-inside-a-Bag-of-Holding thing.

EDIT: Also, Reverse Gravity

DOUBLE-EDIT: Also 2, I'm now curious, what's the purpose of this thing?

1) That breaks just about every character

2) So be sure to make him magnetic, gotcha

3) Well, the purpose is that I am remaking a friends character in a postponed campaign. She's not that rules savvy and doesn't have enough mastery of the system to try her hand at spell-casting. So I took her base character (warforged Barbarian) and the DM is allowing me to rework it into something more viable for the campaign. She's not good with optimization, so the sheet was a train wreck when I got it. So now I have made it a little better at breaking things.

Warforged Paladin 3 (substitution levels)/Fighter 1/Warforged Fighter 2 (substitution level)/ Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Witch Slayer2/ Fighter 10

At the end of the day (lvl20) on a full attack this thing will have 4 iterative Greataxe attacks, a free swipe with armor spikes, 2 slams, and a bite.

Psyren
2012-11-07, 05:44 PM
Hm.. In other words slap on some Freedom of Movement

That will help, but won't protect you from a Forcecage, Sphere, Maze etc.

chaos_redefined
2012-11-07, 05:53 PM
Chain Dispel Magic (hitting all your items) followed by Grappling/Entangling effect.

If insufficient, Chain Greater Dispel Magic followed by Grappling/Entangling effect.

Resilient Sphere (reflex save or be trapped in a bubble).

nedz
2012-11-07, 06:22 PM
Petrification.

LanSlyde
2012-11-07, 10:52 PM
That will help, but won't protect you from a Forcecage, Sphere, Maze etc.

True, but this thing can't be immune to everything. Where's the fun in that? :smalltongue:

LanSlyde
2012-11-07, 10:55 PM
Chain Dispel Magic (hitting all your items) followed by Grappling/Entangling effect.

If insufficient, Chain Greater Dispel Magic followed by Grappling/Entangling effect.

Resilient Sphere (reflex save or be trapped in a bubble).

Excellent, you have broken his freedom of movement, but all his actual immunities are EX. The reflex save or bubble is nasty for this thing, but he's not really worried about grappling or entanglement. In fact grapplers should be more worried about him.

Spuddles
2012-11-07, 10:59 PM
There's a feat in LoM that lets you get out of being dazed. There are a couple spells that have reflex or be dazed which can be spellwarped (spellwarp sniper) into no-save-dazes.

Keld Denar
2012-11-07, 11:06 PM
The feat is Quick Recovery, and it is pretty much amazing. I highly suggest it for any high level melee build with a decent will save.

I'd pick up 1-2 forms of short range teleport, preferably one that doesn't require LoE. That'll get you out of a Forcecage or Resilient Sphere or similar effect. There are some pretty cheap ones. Careful, though, because some of them still require LoE.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-08, 12:41 AM
Glitterdust (Will save-or-blind)
Blinding Breath (SC) (Reflex save-or-blind, permanent)
I'd recommend Goggles of the Golden Sun (MIC), especially considering the face slot is not in high demand.

LanSlyde
2012-11-08, 12:52 AM
The feat is Quick Recovery, and it is pretty much amazing. I highly suggest it for any high level melee build with a decent will save.

I'd pick up 1-2 forms of short range teleport, preferably one that doesn't require LoE. That'll get you out of a Forcecage or Resilient Sphere or similar effect. There are some pretty cheap ones. Careful, though, because some of them still require LoE.

Hmm, I might have to dip into flaws for it, but I can see where it would come in handy. I would fail the initial reflex or daze effect. At the same time.. this things reflex save is horribad. So I don't think getting a 2nd save would really be worth a flaw.

Psyren
2012-11-08, 10:18 AM
True, but this thing can't be immune to everything. Where's the fun in that? :smalltongue:

I misunderstood then, as I thought that was your goal.

Petrification.

Most of those are fort/will which he is optimizing against. Still, any saving throw can be beat or fail on a one with sufficient op.

LanSlyde
2012-11-08, 11:12 AM
I misunderstood then, as I thought that was your goal.

Most of those are fort/will which he is optimizing against. Still, any saving throw can be beat or fail on a one with sufficient op.

As far as I am aware the best way for this guy to escape from force effects would be an anklet of translocation. As for the maze... unless he becomes a minotaur I don't think I have a way around that.

TopCheese
2012-11-08, 11:39 AM
Can this character be evil? If so you can get blanket immunity to mind effecting stuff via a feat... Worship an elder evil and you can get it for free via 5 free feats.

My warforged crusader did this... Evil doesn't mean you kill and steal from party members... Think of party Evil as Red Mage from 8 bit theater... :p

Edit: Just read the OP again and saw it is already imune to mind affecting stuff. Oopse :p

IGNORE ME