PDA

View Full Version : A Plant-Race Druid's Wild Shape

TomJax
2012-11-05, 04:17 PM
Hey guys,

With the release of the Advanced Race Guys, our group has been messing with creating new races. Right now I've created a Plant-type race.

My problem is that I want to play a Druid with this race based around my Wild Shape. However, it turns out that Plants are immune to polymorph. Now I was wondering: would Wild Shape count as an exception on this, seeing as you can only cast it to yourself and it's pretty much vital to being a druid?

If not, is there a way to get around this immunity?

What would you allow as a GM?

Novawurmson
2012-11-05, 04:18 PM
As a DM, I would allow a Plant PC to have immunity to any harmful polymorph affect.

sdream
2012-11-05, 04:19 PM
Another thread here recently noted that you can voluntarily lower immunities.

Urpriest
2012-11-05, 04:23 PM
Not familiar with PF, but in 3.5 Wild Shape is based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph. Given how PF polymorph is broken into a bunch of different spells, it would be extremely bizarre for the concept of polymorph immunity to continue to exist anyway. I'd chalk it up to a copy-paste error.

Novawurmson
2012-11-05, 04:28 PM
Not familiar with PF, but in 3.5 Wild Shape is based on Alternate Form, not Polymorph. Given how PF polymorph is broken into a bunch of different spells, it would be extremely bizarre for the concept of polymorph immunity to continue to exist anyway. I'd chalk it up to a copy-paste error.

Wild Shape in PF is based on the Beast Shape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/beast-shape) line of spells, which is a Transmutation (Polymorph) spell. Plants are indeed immune to polymorph in PF.

Edit: Just to explain why this might be useful, spells like Baleful Polymorph (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/baleful-polymorph) are Transmutation (Polymorph) affects.

TomJax
2012-11-05, 04:53 PM
Is the fact you can voluntarily lower immunities mentioned somewhere in the rulebook? I'd like to give our GM a solid rule, rather than agreeing on something outside of the books.

And thanks for the replies, it's just weird that they allow you to make a race that's immune to one of the most useful features of one of their core classes. Then again, the race builder allows you to do a lot of weird things.