PDA

View Full Version : PF: Additional Ranger Combat Style?

Coidzor
2012-11-05, 04:26 PM
So a couple of months ago I ran into a discussion of a feat that allowed one to get additional combat styles where there were two sides arguing as to whether that meant one could simply choose bonus feats from either combat style's list when one took a level in ranger that afforded such or if it meant that one gained the bonus feats for both combat style tracks up to that point & possibly into the future as well. Came up in the discussion that it wasn't mentioned in Treantmonk's guide because the guide was written before the feat was published and Treantmonk wasn't updating his guides to keep pace with developments.

I saw a couple of threads about PF Ranger switch hitter builds recently which reminded me of that feat and decided to see if it had ever been clarified, and could not for the life of me find either that feat or the threads I participated in that discussed that feat.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? Did they successfully errata that thing down so well it was removed from the internet entirely or did I just hallucinate this whole thing? :smallconfused:

jmelesky
2012-11-05, 04:37 PM
You might be running into an overloaded words problem. Rangers have combat styles, yes, but there are also (completely unrelated) style feats (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/style-feats), mostly intended for use by monks. There's a feat called Combat Style Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-style-master-combat) which makes it easier to switch between those.

That's the closest I can think of to what you were talking about (at least from Paizo material). Is it possible that's what you're remembering?

Novawurmson
2012-11-05, 04:44 PM
I can't find an Additional Combat Styles feat. For the normal Ranger, you only get your combat style feats (without prerequisites) at the specified levels; otherwise, you need to take them whenever you gain a feat and meet all prerequisites.

jmelesky
2012-11-05, 04:56 PM
For the normal Ranger, you only get your combat style feats (without prerequisites) at the specified levels; otherwise, you need to take them whenever you gain a feat and meet all prerequisites.

Unless the feat specifically calls out otherwise. For example, Aspect of the Beast (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/aspect-of-the-beast), which says:

A ranger who selects the natural weapon combat style can take this feat without having to meet the prerequisites (even if he does not select Aspect of the Beast as a bonus feat).

grarrrg
2012-11-05, 06:11 PM
I recall the feat you are referring to.
It was 3rd party, and very poorly worded.
The "sane" version would be take a Feat to select from EITHER Combat Style. This winds up a touch on the weak side, but can still be handy because Combat Style feats Ignore Requirements, so you 'could' ignore DEX on your Switch Hitter, and still pick up some nice Archery feats. Still kinda weak though.

The "OMG this is so BORKED" version would be "take this feat, you get 5 MORE feats!"
I shouldn't have to explain how this might possibly be a tiny bit on the strong side...