PDA

View Full Version : Soda stream!

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-06, 01:13 AM
I saw these as a child and always wanted one but my parents never would let it happen and they disappeared... Until recently! :smallbiggrin:

Going to get one this afternoon. I had a nice big cheque from Mr Taxman so I reckon it's time!

Anyone have one? What are they like?

Tebryn
2012-11-06, 01:16 AM
What are they?

Maxios
2012-11-06, 01:17 AM
Awesomeness.

Ravens_cry
2012-11-06, 01:25 AM
What are they?
To answer the question better, they (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodastream) are a brand of home water carbonization machines. Add some flavouring and you have home-made pop and soda.

Tebryn
2012-11-06, 01:32 AM
Ah, I see. Don't really think I'd need one. I only drink Dr. Pepper and making that at home would probably run the gamut of not possible without the syrup as well.

Cheesegear
2012-11-06, 01:42 AM
I have one! I used to use it all the time when I was giving up Coke and Pepsi, I ended up just drinking the carbonated water - no syrup or flavouring. ...And I still drink it to this day. In fact, I'll make myself one now.

Malak'ai
2012-11-06, 02:20 AM
They were awesome! Except when you don't pay attention and over carbonate the water snd it explodes everywhere :smalltongue:.

factotum
2012-11-06, 02:21 AM
I remember the family having one when I was a kid--would have been 1980 or thereabouts? What I distinctly remember is that some of the drink syrups are good, some not so much--the better ones were usually the ones that weren't trying to just be a carbon copy of a fizzy drink you can buy in the shops, though.

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-06, 02:41 AM
Ah, I see. Don't really think I'd need one. I only drink Dr. Pepper and making that at home would probably run the gamut of not possible without the syrup as well.

You can buy Dr Pepper syrup. I'd like to get Coke syrup but that's very hard to get unless you know someone.

Just made some lemonade. It's no Sprite but its not bad. Years ago you could buy Scheppes syrups.

Malak'ai
2012-11-06, 02:42 AM
I used to just use the generic cordial concentrait you get from the supermarket. Came in a 2 litre bottle and about 12 different flavours like Orange/Mango, Rasberry, Old Fashion Lemonade, Blackcurrant... Twas good :smallbiggrin:.

Tebryn
2012-11-06, 02:44 AM
You can buy Dr Pepper syrup. I'd like to get Coke syrup but that's very hard to get unless you know someone.

Just made some lemonade. It's no Sprite but its not bad. Years ago you could buy Scheppes syrups.

I'm aware :smalltongue: It's difficult and expensive however if you don't own a restaurant. And if you're going to go to that expense you may as well get a soda machine that will do all the levels and mixtures for you as well.

nona
2012-11-06, 10:55 AM
They are awesome. Started making my own syrups from juice and fruit. :tongue:

Manga Shoggoth
2012-11-06, 12:14 PM
My mother had one when I was a kid - I wouldn't use the word "awesome", but they were OK. Very heavily dependent on the quality of the flavouring, though.

A soda syphon did pretty much the same thing. I suspect that bottled fizzy water would be more efficient than using a sodastream these days.

Karoht
2012-11-06, 02:38 PM
Green Melon Syrup and a dash of lemonade powder =
Sparkling Melonade

By far, it is in fact tastier than it sounds.

Don't forget you can also use a Soda Stream to make interesting booze concoctions.

Buy some ginger tea syrup from a local asian market. Mix in some vodka or rum, as they take bruising well. Mix in martini shaker. Pour into water, carbonize, enjoy.

Carbonized tea is interesting. I recommend a riboos chocolate mint. Absolutely refreshing chilled, quit nice hot.

LaughingGnoll
2012-11-07, 08:36 AM
If you can afford to keep buying the air tanks and the syrup, it's actually pretty practical since you can mix soda whenever you need/want it. Though in my experience it takes a bit of experimenting to get the right flavor level that you're looking for, and generally it ends up being a bit blander than pre-made soda.

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-08, 07:34 AM
You can exchange the gas at shops that sell them for half the price.

Tried lemonade and ginger ale, they're not bad.

Serpentine
2012-11-08, 07:44 AM
I bought a soda siphon for my ex. I know he used it, I just can't remember what for... Except that time he tried to make a carbonated maple syrup drink. It was... not as tasty as it sounds.

Also: ugh, Dr Pepper :smallyuk:

Malak'ai
2012-11-08, 08:08 AM

Post mix syrup would be ideal, except, as you said, you need to know someone in the restuarant/bar scene to get it for you. Mind you, if it's anything like here in NZ, Coke and Lemonade come in 20 litre boxes, everthing else comes in a 10 litre box.
I know when I used to work as a bar duty manager you could get the Coke for just under $40.

noparlpf
2012-11-08, 05:23 PM
I saw these as a child and always wanted one but my parents never would let it happen and they disappeared... Until recently! :smallbiggrin:

Going to get one this afternoon. I had a nice big cheque from Mr Taxman so I reckon it's time!

We have one. Or rather my family does, I'm away at school most of the time. They like it. We only use it for seltzer-water, but in the long run it's supposed to be cheaper (my mum says so anyway, I have no idea) than all the seltzer we usually buy. Also my mum can make it as fizzy as she likes, which is a little less than most of the regular commercial sorts.

Gnoman
2012-11-09, 11:23 PM
I'm aware :smalltongue: It's difficult and expensive however if you don't own a restaurant. And if you're going to go to that expense you may as well get a soda machine that will do all the levels and mixtures for you as well.

Not particularly difficult, and not all that expensive either.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/dr-pepper-syrup-concentrate-5-gal/185511.ip

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-11, 06:19 PM
Found this too, but they only deliver to the US.

Coke syrup (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/coca-cola-5-gallon-bag-in-box-fountain-syrup/prod7680002.ip?navAction=), Diet coke syrup (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/diet-coke-bag-in-box-fountain-syrup-5-gal/prod8290006.ip), 7 up syrup (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/7-up-syrup-2-5-gal/185506.ip) and Sprite syrup (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sprite-5-gallon-bag-in-box-fountain-syrup/prod7680006.ip?navAction=push).

I don't really like the generic syrups they have, they're a little...odd. But I fizzed up some green cordial last night that I know I like and it was fantastic.

Science Officer
2012-11-11, 08:33 PM
You could make yourself some Open Cola (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCola_%28drink%29).
Open Cola, the open source, non-proprietary, GNU General Public Liscenced cola.

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-12, 03:57 AM
Got some ginger beer cordial, hope it turns out ok.

The Succubus
2012-11-12, 06:36 AM
I had a nice big cheque from Mr Taxman so I reckon it's time!

I've never had a nice big cheque from Mr Taxman so I couldn't say what it's like. I imagine it'd be nice though.

Karoht
2012-11-12, 09:10 AM
Crystal Light/Kool Aid + Carbonation = Lots of fun combo's, cheap too.
I'm rather fond of Crystal Light's Mojito flavor, and a carbonated (and potentially alcoholized) Mojito made quick and cheap sounds excellent.
I mean, sure I can keep Mint and Limes in the fridge, but this is good too.

Form
2012-11-12, 02:24 PM
If you're going to be making your own fizzy drinks be sure to experiment with some weird combinations. Including alcoholic ones.

Or how about carbonating milk? Disgusting or delicious? :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2012-11-12, 02:56 PM
You can't carbonate milk, putting anything other than water under that jet voids the warranty.

The ginger beer is nice.

noparlpf
2012-11-12, 03:28 PM
Or how about carbonating milk? Disgusting or delicious? :smalltongue:

Ew. Definitely no, trust me. It's awful.

Asta Kask
2012-11-12, 03:35 PM
You'll precipitate the calcium (Ca2+ + CO2 + H2O-> CaCO3 + 2 H+)

noparlpf
2012-11-12, 03:48 PM
You'll precipitate the calcium (Ca2+ + CO2 + H2O-> CaCO3 + 2 H+)

Regardless, the liquid part is the part that's awful.