PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Riding the Wizard

mishka_shaw
2012-11-06, 06:21 AM
Hi

Now as far as I have read this is all completely legit, although very stupid.
To ride a non-suitable mount is -5 to ride
To ride a non-saddled mount is -5 to ride
To stay on a mount is DC 5

Now my ride is usually 33 as I have +10 from magic items, +13 from skill and +10 from saddleback [Faerun campaign].
This means I cannot fail to ride anything plus I can do most of the ride checks that come with it.

Now our Fighter/Wizard enlarges himself and smashes the enemy with his flail all the time and quite frankly I was wondering whether I can mount him if he allows it.

I mean first off we can ride-by attack past the enemy to escape AoO
I can give him 23 Reflex save or A/C once a round.
I can hide behind him as soft cover
I can spur him on.
Hell I can even give him +2 shield from my riders shield.

I must be missing something here. Seems silly but worth it at lower levels (when we get multiple attacks this quickly looses its punch).
Either way does this seem legit?

Andreaz
2012-11-06, 06:24 AM
The rules clearly do not delineate riding sapient mounts, but I have found people to be quite agreeable that most "rider-to-mount benefits", like substituting ride checks for AC, belong to completely passive mounts. Mounting stuff that take actions on its own gives you only the mobility benefits.

Lapak
2012-11-06, 06:43 AM
There's also the question of carrying capacity. Unless you're a halfling or something, you probably weigh upwards of 150 pounds, plus the weight of all your own armor and gear, plus the weight of HIS armor and gear; I'd be mildly surprised if you don't end up staggering around at a speed of 10.

mishka_shaw
2012-11-06, 06:45 AM
Ah found this on the wizards site.

According to the Dungeon Master's Guide, a mount with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher acts like an NPC ally rather than a mount. Riding such an ally works much like riding an aggressive mount in battle (see Part Two), except that you don't have to make a Ride check to act while riding. (If your mount carries you willingly, the ride is smooth enough so your actions aren't restricted.) You also cannot make a Ride check to control the mount's actions, but you can make a Diplomacy (or possibly a Wild Empathy) check to get the mount to accept your direction. If you do, your mount acts just like a mount trained for combat riding.

I guess the bit that says you cannot make a ride-check to control the mounts actions negates the reflex/AC bit...but than again a paladins mount is over 3 int yet I am pretty sure that can gain these abilities.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-11-06, 08:55 AM
This can actually be quite broken when you have a Large or Huge beeftank and you have a Strongheart Halfling riding him with the Mounted Combat feat. The beeftank can now safely Shock Trooper with impunity, because his halfling rider can make a Ride check to negate any damage done. It also lets you effectively pounce with him, as his movement does not count against your actions.

TheTick
2012-11-06, 09:23 AM
I came to this thinking the wizard was going to polymorph into something useful, but what I find is...maneuver 14B!

http://www.thetick.ws/images/maneuver14b.jpg

mishka_shaw
2012-11-06, 11:27 AM
I came to this thinking the wizard was going to polymorph into something useful, but what I find is...maneuver 14B!

I for one take all my combat advice from The Tick.

nedz
2012-11-06, 01:30 PM
Sounds amusing, but why not go the whole hog and get yourself a lance ?

Sith_Happens
2012-11-06, 02:58 PM

Personally, I came into this thread thinking it was going to involve a certain 3rd-party sourcebook.:smallwink:

HunterColt22
2012-11-06, 03:02 PM
Personally, I came into this thread thinking it was going to involve a certain 3rd-party sourcebook.:smallwink:

Brings new meaning to the phrase "Down boy."

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-06, 05:55 PM

Brings new meaning to the phrase "Down boy."

I was personally expecting some kind of weird magical drug.