PDA

View Full Version : Help with Half-Fey Factotum

RCgothic
2012-11-06, 09:40 AM
Hi all, I have a Human Factotum3//Warrior1/Half-Fey2 for an upcoming campaign, and I was wondering what direction to go in in terms of feats. The DM declared that Tier3's (eg factotums) get to gestalt with LA or NPC on the other half of the build to balance against Tier 1/2s. :haley:

I'm primarily wondering what I should do with feats and combat style. Here's what I've got so far:

Lilian Chase (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=466705)
F NG Half-Human/Half-Fey Factotum3//Warrior1/Half-Fey2, Level 3, Init +7, HP 24/24, Speed 40/80(good)
AC 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 10, Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 3
(+4 Dex)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 15, Cha 16
Additionally:

I have 4000gp to spend, with no more than 1200gp on any one item.
Str/Con may be interchangeable, in which case it's Str13, Con13.
Warrior was chosen to boost weak FORT and BAB, but I'm open to other NPC gestalt suggestions. I figured Factotum already beats Expert/Commoner/Aristocrat. I suppose an argument could be made for Adept.
Half-Fey gets Charm Person at Will, Hypnotism, Detect Law, Faerie Fire, Enthrall, Glitterdust and Sleep, combined with Acrane Diletante gives pretty reasonable spellcasting.

I envisage the role as primarily utility/party face, but I can mostly accomplish that through my large skill point pool, and I'd still like to stay relevant in combat, and I've got 3 feats and weapon selection to accomplish it with. I'd like to keep my encumbrance down so that I can fly without issue.

I have high dexterity - is weapon finesse worth considering? What about Two Weapon Fighting? Flyby attack sounds reasonable as it skips the feat-chain of spring attack, but I don't think I could take the hits from the resulting AoOs. What about an exotic weapon? Would Improved Initiative be ridiculous?

What says the playground? :smallsmile:

prufock
2012-11-06, 10:49 AM
Well there's lots of options for you. How about a glaive and Combat Expertise/Improved Trip? You have full BAB and can get +3 with an Inspiration Point, though your strength is a little low. You could use your other feat for Font of Inspiration, if allowed, or Combat Reflexes for more attacks of opportunity. Enlarge Person as your spell - duration is only 3 minutes, but I don't think there are any really good long-term buffs at this level.

A dual-kukri crit-fisher build might be fun as well. I believe you can apply an IP to the confirmation roll, since it's an attack roll. TWF, Weapon Finesse, Font of Inspiration. Some Scrolls of Keen Edge (with a duration of 50 minutes!).

Iaijutsu Focus is also a Playground favourite. Gnomish Quickrazor, or just do it the old-fashioned way with Quick Draw and a bunch of weapons. Improved Initiative would be a good choice here, too.

Or just grab a greatsword and go to town, Power Attack it up.

Factotums do EVERYTHING.

RCgothic
2012-11-06, 12:04 PM
Would tumbling during a flyby attack be permissible?

I think I'm going to try and go for Fragile Speedster/Glass Cannon. If I can think of a way to up defense a bit, perhaps might qualify for Jack-Of-All-Stats or Lightning Bruiser. Perhaps a Dastana would help. Hmmm. Thinking along the lines of:

Greatsword
Chain Shirt + Dastana (19 AC at lvl3 is respectable, right?)

Flyby Attack
Power Attack

Now just wondering what to do with the extra feat. :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2012-11-06, 12:48 PM
Flyby Attack gets a little stale once iteratives start coming into play. My advice: maneuvers. By the time you get your 3rd level feat, you have an IL of 1, so pick up something tasty with Martial Study. Later on (probably after Factotum 8, it's a good break poing), take a Warblade dip to tack a refresh mechanism on to your maneuver.

nedz
2012-11-06, 01:22 PM
Flyby attack gets you a Standard Action, unlike Spring Attack, so its good for pop up spellcasting or precision based archery. Better for the former.

There are some further options

Adroit Flyby Attack ( Draconomicon )
Prereqs: Flyby Attack, Hover (or) Wingover, Fly speed 90

Improved Flyby Attack( Savage Species )
Prereqs: Flyby Attack, Mobility, Fly speed

Both of which avoid provoking AoOs

Great Flyby Attack, also from Savage Species is quite interesting,
You have to fly in a straight line, and get a whirlwind like attack on up to Dex mod targets. You would probably want to package this with some debuff, eg trip.
Prereqs: Flyby Attack, Fly speed

RCgothic
2012-11-06, 01:41 PM
I'll have a decent Tumble, so Adroit/Improved won't be required. Great Flyby attack is interesting.

Saidoro
2012-11-06, 06:27 PM
Warrior is strictly worse than fighter. If your DM allows dragon you could grab Faerie Mysteries Initiate to help mitigate your low Con. And I would spend the fighter feat on either two-weapon fighting or weapon finesse in anticipation of dipping swordsage and grabbing shadow blade later on.(and after that you could dip cleric for turning and grab divine might if you really want to go jack of all stats.)

Sith_Happens
2012-11-06, 07:56 PM
Warrior is strictly worse than fighter. If your DM allows dragon you could grab Faerie Mysteries Initiate to help mitigate your low Con. And I would spend the fighter feat on either two-weapon fighting or weapon finesse in anticipation of dipping swordsage and grabbing shadow blade later on.(and after that you could dip cleric for turning and grab divine might if you really want to go jack of all stats.)

OP says that one side of the gestalt has to be only NPC classes and/or LA/RHD.

Saidoro
2012-11-06, 11:23 PM
Ah, I missed that.

RCgothic
2012-11-07, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I'm not so daft as to deliberately pick warrior over fighter!

Thanks for Faerie Mysteries Initiate though; it's not quite the flavour I'm going for, but is both fluffy and mitigates a weakness.