PDA

View Full Version : Help with a limited resource character

Wilhelm
2012-11-06, 11:11 AM
Here is the background, My playgroup is doing a 3.5 gestalt campaign.
One way or another we have access to basically every sourcebook. It is in Forgotten Realms with no Warforged or Artificers. Now, Except for one person, the rest of the group only took base classes from the PHB. I did a lot of looking around and made a Half-Nymph Sorcerer 4//Half-Nymph2/Ranger 1/Lion-Totem Barbarian 1. We have had two sessions and a decent amount of damage headed our way. Fatalities are always a possibility, so we like to think about back-up character ideas. (I am currently at 8 Con and 9 Dex due to ability damage)

Here is what I was told, "If your character dies make your next one using only the Player's Handbook." I probably don't need to do this, but I want to make a character that does this 'literally' What can I do using ONLY the Player's Handbook as a sourcebook. (Leaving out everything that needs to pull stats or materials from another book such as Wild Shape, or Item Creation.)
Also, to be extra silly, I can't have a deity because those are from the Player's guide to Faerun.

Like I said, I am interpreting things this way to follow his guidelines. I know this is taking it far past what was intended, but I am actually curious about what can be pulled off with such limited resources.

Thanks for reading.

Snowbluff
2012-11-06, 11:19 AM
Um, I would suggest Ascetic Mage and a Monk Level. Cha to AC to stack with your Mage Armor and Shield and a boost to your saves.. Should help with surviving.

ahenobarbi
2012-11-06, 11:22 AM
Um, I would suggest Ascetic Mage and a Monk Level. Cha to AC to stack with your Mage Armor and Shield and a boost to your saves.. Should help with surviving.

I think Ascetic mage is not from PHb :smalltongue: But I second having Wizard on one side of gestalt and something to boost defenses (I'd say Barbarian 2/ Monk 2).

What stats do you get?

Snowbluff
2012-11-06, 11:30 AM
I think Ascetic mage is not from PHb :smalltongue: But I second having Wizard on one side of gestalt and something to boost defenses (I'd say Barbarian 2/ Monk 2).

What stats do you get?

Good point, but that was for his main, which isn't for PhB only. Dying would suck in this case.

Wilhelm
2012-11-06, 11:45 AM
I got a 14, 13, 17, 14, 14, and one 18. So not bad. (for this character, not the current one)