PDA

View Full Version : some general advice, :)

Chaos018
2012-11-06, 11:51 AM
Hey, Playground peeps, have a question on PC motivation. And before you go into the cheese factor, I already know of it, and if I can getaway with it, I will do it in a heartbeat. Group is starting a new campaign (old one was an MnM campaign I GMed that pretty much got broken, lol, not my fault but players had fun so I am not hung up about it) and DnD 3.5 it is. I wanted to go Dragonwrought (Jungle or Desert) Venerable NE Kobold Necromancer. Why? Saw a pic once, and fell in love with the idea, thought it would be real fun to try out. If my GM allows it, and it is a possibility since a lot of my group is powergamers, I will play one with gusto. Problem is that other than the obvious money, power, and knowledge, I've got no real idea why a lv 5 EXTREMELY old tribesman would go about adventuring when all he's known was his tribe and arts. Would any of you like to suggest anything that could help stir the imagination up a bit? Would love it, honestly.

My only real hope for the PC will be to obtain a large enogh bone zombie to hollow out and use from inside the ribcage (using the slight build from RoTD so I can do that, :))

Also, any other suggestions as to feats and items, skills and spells are all welcome. Thanks

Crazyfailure13
2012-11-06, 12:50 PM
Hes an old man, and through many years has reanimated his share of undead, couple dead mice, maybe a unprepared adventurer or two, or even the bugbear. But now close to death, he read a book or two about the world, and realizes, he hasn't brought nearly as many undead into the world as he wanted to, nor has he been able to revive as many types of creature as he wanted ether. Remembering back to his child hood, he dreamt of undead pixies, ghoulish hyenas, and even a vampiric dragon. But now he is old and certainly couldn't defeat these things by himself, so he goes to a job full of corpses and meat shields, adventuring.

Chaos018
2012-11-06, 01:02 PM
Also, would it be really really awful if I went to the facepalm material for this guy? For some odd reason, I want him to go out and try to emulate 5 young Kobold adventurers who had each befriended dinosaurs of old to battle the menace of the gnome infestation, each adventurer was of true dragon lineage, a red, blue, green, yellow and purple (looking more like pink though). And if the group tries to find out where he got this legend from, he would show them this large amount of parchment with drawings. The legendary kobolds each clad in different armors, each of the color of their dragon lineage as well as mimicking their dinosaur pets (a t-rex, a triceratops, an actual green dragon, a sabertooth tiger (not a dino but still ancient, lol), and a pterodactyl). I tell them of the glorious victory they triumphed over the awful and repulsive Rita, the Gnome Illusionist. With this, I plan to find and hollow out a Minotaur (or mastodon) skeleton head and fight the gnome scourge once again inside this monstrous bone creature. He WILL become a new legendary warrior, the Kobold of the Black.

In reality, my PC has a little senility and for some reason carries a coloring book already colored in correctly. The Tribe, though loving of the old coot, threw him out when they heard he venerated something not only made up but not a dragon such as them.

...Am I sick for doing this to the Power Ranger image? lmao, that may actually become my PC motivation but still would love to have other suggestions.

Chaos018
2012-11-15, 11:52 AM
necromancer cleric, the one I built up for myself and spent a week and a half hyped up and excited to play is now nixed.

Why? Cuz the campaign I will be playing doesn't employ many, if any undead. Not even fair, and now I gotta play some general cleric that I won't have any fun with.

Why again? My group needs me to heal, oh noes! I wanted to control undead but can't. I then wanted to control elementals, seeing as they'll be more of a possibility in a completely underground campaign, specifically fire or earth elleys. I can't do that due to me "needing" to spontaneous cast cure spells, doing so means I can only turn, not rebuke. To have rebuke, I would have to cast inflict spells.

Tell me, being true neutral, can I choose to rebuke elleys but spontaneous cast cure spells? even if it's just a special little ability somewhere. I just want to have fun, and I can't unless I get SOMETHING I want to do, which is controlling elleys and summoning more if I can manage that, seeing as I can't powergame like I wanted using the build I was praised for. All I got right now is Summon Monster, and oo oo (/sarcasm), I get a freaking small elley of my choice.

Sorry for the rant. Hadn't had a good day since just before I went to slept yesterday morning so I am not particularly hospitable to real life people.

DontEatRawHagis
2012-11-15, 04:43 PM
No problem. I understand a bit.

You could always ask your DM if it's alright if you played two characters if having a cleric is extremely necessary. Perhaps the second character is the bodyguard of the cleric.

Since it looks like the DM is pushing you towards "Summoning Monster", maybe you should ask him to DMPC a healer. I know plenty of people to do this or nyx healers in general. Most have done this with success. Why should someone play when they dislike playing their character? Our group lost a few good players due to this.

Tiny Rant:
I hate how dependent on clerics 3.5e is sometimes. Health potions can easily take the place of a cleric.