PDA

View Full Version : Looking for story-heavy console RPG

Yora
2012-11-06, 12:19 PM
With preferably relatively simple gameplay mechanics.
You could say something that is the total opposite of Skyrim, though that's about the only open-world game I actually like.

I am looking for something that is quite meaty when it comes to story and characters, but doesn't bog me down in inventory screens and with character customization. In that regard, you could even play quite lose with the term "RPG". However, not as simple as Final Fantasy 13, that game just had way too much combat encounters without having an engaging combat system.

Things I played and like would be Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 2, Final Fantasy X, Shadow of the Colossus, and if you start leaning more out of the RPG genre, Mirror's Edge and Bioshock 2.

I do have Witcher 2 on the list, but that's a bit too generic fantasy game for me right now. Any other suggestions?

shadow_archmagi
2012-11-06, 12:36 PM
Well, you can't go wrong with more Bioware; why not pick up KOTOR?

Bit Fiend
2012-11-06, 12:41 PM
From your picks I take it you mean newer console RPGs?

tensai_oni
2012-11-06, 02:10 PM
why not pick up KOTOR?

Because it's not a console RPG? Okay, technically it's for the XBox but Yora's list included only Playstation titles. So I assume that's what she has.

You want plot-heavy? I suggest the following, in descending order of new-ness:

Persona 4
Persona 3
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

These are just the most obvious recommendations. Pick any of them, you won't be disappointed.

Yora
2012-11-06, 03:20 PM
KotOR is also great, but I played that a couple of times already.
PS1, 2, 3 and Xbox 360 are all fine.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-06, 05:37 PM
Why not Bastion?

Mx.Silver
2012-11-06, 06:17 PM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution would be my advice if you're willing to go the hybrid route. Quite an interesting story and character which fair amounts of stealth thrown in (aside from the Boss Fights but we don't like to talk about them).

If you have access to a PS2, the first couple of Shadow Hearts games are very solid JRPGs. They're a bit old though so not sure how easy finding them would be.

Why not Bastion?

Also this.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-06, 07:09 PM
...Thinking about it though, why exactly would you say that Skyrim is mechanics-heavy while FF10 and Dragon Age 2 as mechanics-lite?

Though it might be our playstyles: I think the best way to play an Elder Scrolls game is to cheat your stats and gear up to the maximums at the very start of the game, then ignore all of the skills and loot and just wander around enjoying the world.

warty goblin
2012-11-06, 07:30 PM
I liked the Game of Thrones RPG. It's a slow burn, but the pay-off is great. Also I thought it had one of the better real-time pause combat systems I've encountered. It's fairly low on character upgrading and inventory management as well. Which is good, because it's inventory kinda sucks. It's far from unbearable, but it's a bit of a drag until you get used to it's...eccentricities. Totally worth dealing with though, because the last chapter of that game is fairly brilliant.

Of Orcs and Men, by the same developer, seems to have even less in the way inventory management, owing to a very minimal quantity of loot, and the character development is fairly paired down. Every level you get one attribute point and can learn or upgrade one skill. Bada-boom. Story seems pretty nifty so far too, though I haven't finished it, and avoids all sorts of usual genre failures. After like six hours I don't think I've encountered even one prostitute, which may be a record for M-rated RPGs.

If you're willing to leave RPG totally behind, there's always Spec Ops: The Line. It's a straight up third person shooter mechanically, and not a particularly inspired one at that. It's not a bad cover shooter mind, and there's a couple of kinda cool mechanics in there, but that part of the game's nothing to write home about. The story however is, well, something else. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't think games would - or even could - do what Spec Ops does, let alone do it that well. Let's just leave it like this: it looks like a straight up dude-bro military shooter. This is entirely deliberate, and it really isn't.

Yora
2012-11-06, 08:24 PM
...Thinking about it though, why exactly would you say that Skyrim is mechanics-heavy while FF10 and Dragon Age 2 as mechanics-lite?
In Final Fantasy and DA2, you equip the character with one weapon, unlock special attacks, and then keep using both on the enemies until they die.
In Skyrim, you increase your skill ranks, combine and match indvidual armor pieces, and if you feel like it also have the whole mess of gathering crafting materials, training the crafting skills, and enchanting customized equipment, you have the homes where you stash the stuff you're not yet sure you'll never need again (but almost certainly wont), with multiple containers to keep track of what stuff you actually have stored, and the places need to be outfitted or they look like ass, and then there's sleeping, switching weapons in battle, going to the menus to take out other spells, constantly guzzling healing and mana potions, and all this unfun stuff.

From all the reviews and descriptions I've found, Bastion seems to be a Diablo-style Dungeon-Crawler. Not quite my type of game.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-06, 08:50 PM
From all the reviews and descriptions I've found, Bastion seems to be a Diablo-style Dungeon-Crawler. Not quite my type of game.

It depends on what you mean by "Diablo-style." The combat consists of clicking a lot (if you're playing the PC version), and it's in an isometric perspective, but that's where the similarities end. The loot treadmill and intricate character build system that Diablo runs off of is completely absent. The game doesn't really have traditional quests either, and the "dungeons" are most often outdoor areas.

Mewtarthio
2012-11-06, 09:00 PM
Bastion is a great choice. It's quite simple, too. You mostly only need to worry about three buttons: Primary weapon, alternate weapon, and special attack. There's no inventory juggling at all. You've got a number of options for your weapons, but each is significantly different from the others, and you only swap them out between stages. Plus it's a really good game.

JoshL
2012-11-06, 09:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Grandia 2 and 3 (Xtreme as well, but to a much lesser degree, and the first to a much lesser degree than that), both in terms of engaging story and fun combat. Arc the Lad as well, but particularly Twilight of the Spirits. Not enough love for that game, but it was really well written.

tensai_oni
2012-11-06, 09:49 PM
Bastion isn't really an RPG though. I'm not saying it doesn't have a great story (it does), or that it's not awesome in general (it is). But it has less RPG elements than friggin' Legend of Zelda. It's an action game, really.

But if you don't mind that? Play it. You won't regret it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-11-06, 10:39 PM
Bastion isn't really an RPG though. I'm not saying it doesn't have a great story (it does), or that it's not awesome in general (it is). But it has less RPG elements than friggin' Legend of Zelda. It's an action game, really.

But if you don't mind that? Play it. You won't regret it.

Thinking that only RPGs can have really good stories is kind of a fallacy anyway.

Cespenar
2012-11-07, 01:21 AM
Just... Bastion.

Tebryn
2012-11-07, 01:37 AM
However-many-ing Bastion. Amazing game. Great soundtrack. Everything about it is amazing. I want the narrator to follow me around all day and read the phone book at me.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-07, 02:25 AM
Dragon Age 2

Have you also played Origins? If not, I'd put that near the top of the list. It's much heavier on the RPG mechanics, but generally considered better than the second game in most respects.

Yora
2012-11-07, 05:42 AM
Yes I did, but it has the "classic" complex mechanics and not really a good story. Not that DA2 has either, but I think that one at least gets more attention to the characters.

I think I'll have to look for a video for the first minutes of Bastion, I really have no idea what to expect of that one.

Socratov
2012-11-07, 07:07 AM
I'd say borderlands (2). It's simple (point, shoot, walk), it has a pretty immersive story (at least IMO) and probably the hardest parts are redeeming your tokens and comparing your weapons...

Cespenar
2012-11-07, 08:05 AM
Actually, I may go with GTA 4. It delivers its story and characters far more richly and deftly than most "RPGs" out there. It's almost playing a movie, but without the negative connotations, since it's very sandboxy at the same time.

GolemsVoice
2012-11-07, 08:51 AM
The Witcher (2)? Both available for XBox 360, and both featuring great characters, hard choices and an interesting world.

Yora
2012-11-07, 09:17 AM
Yes, I know. :smallamused:

I do have Witcher 2 on the list, but that's a bit too generic fantasy game for me right now. Any other suggestions?

GolemsVoice
2012-11-07, 09:33 AM
Damn. Sorry.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-07, 04:14 PM
I'd say borderlands (2). It's simple (point, shoot, walk), it has a pretty immersive story (at least IMO) and probably the hardest parts are redeeming your tokens and comparing your weapons...

I wasn't sure whether that one quite fits the OP's criteria, but now that I think about it I've actually been very impressed by BL2's story delivery so far (Handsome Jack = Best. Villain. Ever.).

Yora
2012-11-07, 04:30 PM
But does it also a have plot, with multiple factions that reveal additional aspects of their backgrounds and motivations, or something like that? I am really looking mostly for games to play for the story primarily, with entertaining gameplay only as a pleasant bonus.

Timberwolf
2012-11-07, 04:47 PM
Xenosaga. If I remember, there's 3 of them. They're rather good. Just be prepared for really, really long and frequent cut scenes

Sith_Happens
2012-11-07, 08:52 PM
Wait a second, I just realized we're nearly at the end of the page and no one's said "Planescape Torment.":smallconfused:

Terraoblivion
2012-11-07, 09:12 PM
Probably thanks to that word that said "console" in the title. :smalltongue:

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-07, 09:13 PM
Wait a second, I just realized we're nearly at the end of the page and no one's said "Planescape Torment.":smallconfused:

The topic title is "Looking for story-heavy console RPG." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think P:T has a console version.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-07, 10:54 PM
The topic title is "Looking for story-heavy console RPG." Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think P:T has a console version.

Well, with some controller software and the right cables...

Pink
2012-11-08, 01:02 AM
Arc the Lad as well, but particularly Twilight of the Spirits. Not enough love for that game, but it was really well written.

Just taking a moment to second this. It's a rather unappreciated game I think. Style is tacticle RPG, no grids though, your characters have a field they can move and position themselves within each turn. Nice and simple but still keeps things interesting. Rather interesting plot (The game itself switches between two different parties), memorable characters (BEBEDORA!!!), a good solid game.

It's a PS2 game.

Cogwheel
2012-11-08, 02:17 AM

There is a Dreamcast port. So there.

Also, Bastion. Play that.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-11-08, 01:27 PM
There is a Dreamcast port. So there.

Wait, someone actually made one?

Cogwheel
2012-11-08, 03:48 PM
Wait, someone actually made one?

Good luck actually finding it anywhere, but yes.

Half-Life too, by the way.

Tebryn
2012-11-09, 01:09 AM
Just taking a moment to second this. It's a rather unappreciated game I think. Style is tacticle RPG, no grids though, your characters have a field they can move and position themselves within each turn. Nice and simple but still keeps things interesting. Rather interesting plot (The game itself switches between two different parties), memorable characters (BEBEDORA!!!), a good solid game.

It's a PS2 game.

A good solid game system tarnished by an utterly derivative story with almost no likable characters to speak of. BLARG RAGE HUMANS ARE BAD. BLARG RAGE DEIMOS (Seriously? Deimos?) ARE BAD. That sums up most of the characters motivations. I mean, one of the characters names is Darc. That's Fanfiction level naming right there. The battle system is great though. My advice for a "Story Heavy RPG" would to avoid this game like the plague itself.

Inglenook
2012-11-14, 12:54 AM
Star Ocean: The Second Story! It's pretty story/character driven.

Two intertwining (but distinct) storylines that depend on which starting player you select.
A Private Action system that lets you separate from your party and interact with them (or strangers) one-on-one, which can change things significantly and unlock new plotlines.
What you say and do affects how your party feels about you (e.g. to pickpocket, you have to take Private Actions, otherwise your party starts to think of you as a common sneakthief.
Lots of choices on which characters to recruit and what to do, with your choices again affecting the ending of the game.
A rather unique (at least for JRPGs) battle system. And when a character is KO'd, any party members who were friends with them gets an ability boost to avenge their fallen friend.

I'd maybe recommend playing the PSP port though. The original PS1 version had a lot of flaws (terribly dubbed battle cries, "anime sappy" dialogue at times, etc.) but I've heard the port improves it a great deal.

Oh, and I think the (http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60831120090113_145805_0_big.jpg) environments (http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/features/hoffman/screen1.jpg) are (http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60831120090113_145805_7_big.jpg) gorgeous (http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/60831120090113_145805_3_big.jpg), especially given its age.

Okay, I think a lot of people actually hate this game, but I'm terribly fond of it. :smallfrown:

Socratov
2012-11-14, 05:16 AM
But does it also a have plot, with multiple factions that reveal additional aspects of their backgrounds and motivations, or something like that? I am really looking mostly for games to play for the story primarily, with entertaining gameplay only as a pleasant bonus.

It has plot (especially if you have played the first edition, it's not mandatory, but storywise it helps a lot). Multiple factions? not so much. You do get background on the different characters (in the form of collectible echo recorders) but not different factions per se... the story itself though is quite nice and fun... (and the gameplay is well executed)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-11-15, 02:27 PM
It has plot (especially if you have played the first edition, it's not mandatory, but storywise it helps a lot). Multiple factions? not so much. You do get background on the different characters (in the form of collectible echo recorders) but not different factions per se... the story itself though is quite nice and fun... (and the gameplay is well executed)

Borderlands is not a plot-focused series. It's an FPS with standard "kill X of these guys" "get something from these guys" and "kill the boss" quests. Yes it has a plot. No it's not a story-heavy game.

Also, the game forces you to keep Claptrap alive and with you. Negative right there. :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2012-11-15, 02:56 PM
Borderlands is not a plot-focused series. It's an FPS with standard "kill X of these guys" "get something from these guys" and "kill the boss" quests. Yes it has a plot. No it's not a story-heavy game.

Also, the game forces you to keep Claptrap alive and with you. Negative right there. :smalltongue:

Also, at least in the first game, the gunplay is really, really dull.

Sith_Happens
2012-11-15, 10:07 PM
Also, at least in the first game, the gunplay is really, really dull.

You obviously didn't play Lilith.

warty goblin
2012-11-15, 10:39 PM
You obviously didn't play Lilith.

I did. It was dull. So I switched to Soldier-Dude, who was also dull. Sniper-Dude was marginally less dull, but only just. The gunplay never felt precise enough to be empowering, kinetic enough to be viscerally satisfying, or generally tight enough to feel good. And the setting was maybe the most monstrously dull thing I've seen in a very, very long time. Making it all faux-outrageous did nothing to liven it up the sixth time I had to shoot the same damn boring ugly aliens in the same damn spot so I could loot the same damn loot stack so I could hopefully get a slightly less bad variation of the same damn gun. I'm still confused how you can generate ten bazillion guns, and have all of them feel mediocre and/or weak.

I mean Far Cry 2 did the respawning checkpoint thing to death and beyond, but at least the guns were cool and felt distinctive.

So I went back to Crysis, where the guns are purpose built, precise, powerful and adaptable death machines. I also preferred Crysis' powers, which are fun, dynamic and accessible instead of shackled to an inane RPG system.

Also STALKER, which just plain does alien world FPS much better. Can't say STALKER's guns are precise exactly, but they feel like an authentic extension of the worn-out world they inhabit. And they're actually interesting to use, thanks to enemies who challenge through AI instead of being massive HP bricks.

Hell, I even like Rage better (although I played it after Borderlands). At least that was a pretty corridor semi-open world, with a massively satisfying shotgun.

Starbuck_II
2012-11-15, 10:59 PM
Dishonored is pretty story heavy console RPG I think, it is like a mixture of Bioshock and the old Thief game.

You can be sneaky and do stealth kills (or knock out unconscious) or just fight without stealth.

Like Bioshock actions have consequences toward ending (multiple endings)

Verte
2012-11-15, 11:31 PM
Star Ocean: The Second Story! It's pretty story/character driven.

Hey, I liked Star Ocean too! I don't recall it being too fiddly, either. I recall that the story was engaging and the characters were distinctive. Also, the sense that I could control the protagonist's actions in some small ways through Private Actions was a nice change in pace from other RPGs. The only things that I think might be issues for the OP are the crafting system and the overall tone of the game.

I also really liked Suikoden, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX and Breath of Fire III, which were all turn-based RPGs from the same time period - I think Final Fantasy VII has already been mentioned. All of those had strong stories with interesting characters while not having too many finicky character customization mechanics.

Unfortunately, though, most of the games that I can think of that have different factions that the protagonist can join also have lots of character customization and big open worlds.

dgnslyr
2012-11-16, 02:03 AM
Nobody's mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics yet? The original, proper one, not the watered-down, kid-friendly GBA/DS versions. It's definitely story-heavy; the original translation is a bit awkward at times, but there's something distinctly charming about it. Otherwise, there's the modernized-but-Shakesperianized PSP version, if you'd like. The mechanics are pretty simple, I think, once you're in the hang of it, though it'll take a bit of getting used to. It's my favorite Final Fantasy game, of the ones I've completed, though maybe I'm a bit biased, because it's also the most recent one I've completed.

ryzouken
2012-11-16, 06:07 AM
Nobody's mentioned Final Fantasy Tactics yet? ... Otherwise, there's the modernized-but-Shakesperianized PSP version, if you'd like.

As it's tied with FF6 and 7 as my favorite games of all time, this.

Also, Persona 3 and 4, though ideally you'd get P3 Portable instead of P3:FES or similar, because direct party control is... uh... nice. If no PSP, then P4 is the way to go.

There's also an in canon fighting game for Persona called Persona 4 Arena that has heavy storyline in between the fights, if you can manage a fighting game.

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-16, 12:00 PM
Also, Persona 3 and 4, though ideally you'd get P3 Portable instead of P3:FES or similar, because direct party control is... uh... nice.

Well, that's damned annoying. The frag did they not put that in in the first place? (Not that I can play anything except the PS2 version anyway, but...)

ryzouken
2012-11-17, 11:10 PM

Well, that's damned annoying. The frag did they not put that in in the first place? (Not that I can play anything except the PS2 version anyway, but...)

It was the design team being artsy.
Essentially, it's an extrapolation of the design philosophy that gave the Social Links. The characters in the game are their own people, whom the player must interact with to achieve his or her goals. Because of this, the player engages in extracurriculars with them, advancing their social links which provide benefits to the player when they attempt to fuse up new Persona for battle. In battle, that own person thing applies in the form of not having direct control over your allies. You can influence their decisions by asking them to engage in general strategies ('conserve SP', 'Kill em all', 'fight defensively', 'keep me alive') but ultimately what they decide to do is up to them.

They realized this was unnecessarily burdensome in P4 and allowed you to have full control if you do desire (it's another option in the Tactics menu) and they implemented it in the PSP port of P3 as well.

So yeah. Their design team got a bit too artsy in their development. But it's totally cool since you can just play P4 for now and maybe get a PS Vita down the line (letting you play P3 Portable and P4 Golden, which is the portable port of P4 adding lots of cool new stuff including two extra social links)

LansXero
2012-11-20, 01:15 AM
Ar Tonelico / Valkyrie Profile if they havent been mentioned yet, PS1/2

Aotrs Commander
2012-11-20, 09:47 AM
So yeah. Their design team got a bit too artsy in their development. But it's totally cool since you can just play P4 for now and maybe get a PS Vita down the line (letting you play P3 Portable and P4 Golden, which is the portable port of P4 adding lots of cool new stuff including two extra social links)

Eh, I tend to only play JRPGs the once (and I've got about seven or eight JRPGs on the PS2 (including P3 - which I got about half way through - and P4 Digital Devil Saga which I haven't even touched yet), plus a few on the PSP to play... I haven't used my PS2 much in the last year or two.

Terraoblivion
2012-11-20, 02:54 PM
P4 and Digital Devil Saga are two different games and while both MegaTen they're about as far from each other as it is possible for two RPGs in the series to be. Also, Digital Devil Saga is only half a game and ends on a cliffhanger, requiring you to play the total insanity that is Digital Devil Saga 2 to get the rest of the plot.