PDA

View Full Version : -Simplified Spell List-

Bulix
2012-11-06, 02:40 PM
Hi, I'm making a simpler, more casual version of D&D, with my own mix from 3.5 and 4e. (Making it for a particular audience.) That means I have to grab all 3.5 Core Classes and simplify them. That should not be too hard, except for the spells. Spells are the most important thing in Wizards and Sorcerers, I need very very simple spell lists for all core spellcasting classes, Arcane and Divine.
Any ideas?

Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

The Redwolf
2012-11-06, 02:42 PM
While I'm not certain, this might need to go under homebrew...

Andreaz
2012-11-06, 02:42 PM
You'll be basically removing entire spells, really.
You could try substituting Psionics instead. Psionics do most tricks (healing and illusions being the biggest hit, but easy to make into that system) just fine and are much easier to understand and use.

gallagher
2012-11-06, 03:25 PM
the only difficult thing about spells is knowing which to take and what to prepare. spontaneous casters make it easier, so why not just let them try it that way? and when choosing spells, help them know when to take utility spells and when to take attack spells so they dont end up only being able to fill one role

nedz
2012-11-06, 03:32 PM
Yes, make them all Sorcerers - then the players will produce the list for you.

Alternatively use the fixed list classes such as Beguiler.

sdream
2012-11-06, 04:08 PM
For a simplified game for newcomers, I would strongly suggest letting every PC swap one feat, skill point, or class feature (like spell known) for another which they qualify for every day.

That way, they can change their mind as they learn more about the system (or as circumstances change).

For all your casters, as a balance and simplification:

- Restrict them to core only spells
- All casters can only change one spell per day, as above
- All casters can prepare/know casting statmod+caster level spells
- All casters use spell points to cast spells, ala psionics/spell point option
- Simplify Polymorph to give only size change, +4 to stat of their choice, one movement mode at their normal speed, and a natural attack based on size.
- Simplify Summon spells to one option chosen when prepared/learned

ericgrau
2012-11-06, 04:27 PM
The following is a sorcerer/wizard list that makes selecting spells easier and keeps away some massive headaches like resolving a polymorph. You could almost roll them randomly and the results wouldn't be horrible regardless of the build. You might want to retain some of the removed spells in magic items or as rituals or via another means, though.

0: detect magic, read magic, light, mage hand, prestidigitation
1: mage armor, obscuring mist, unseen servant, identify (or reveal magic items for free), sleep, magic missile, color spray, silent image, ray of enfeeblement, feather fall
2: resist energy, fog cloud, glitterdust, web, see invisibility, scorching ray, invisibility, minor image, mirror image, levitate, spider climb
3: dispel magic, sleet storm, fireball, lightning bolt, tiny hut, displacement, major image, blink, fly, haste, slow
4: dimensional anchor, black tentacles, dimension door, solid fog, confusion, resilient sphere, wall of fire, wall of ice, greater invisibility, enervation
5: break enchantment, cloudkill, teleport, wall of stone, telepathic bond, wall of force, persistent image, overland flight, telekinesis
6: antimagic field, greater dispel magic, repulsion, acid fog, wall of iron, true seeing, greater heroism, mass suggestion, chain lightning, contingency, forceful hand, permanent image, programmed image, circle of death, undeath to death, mass bear's endurance, disintegrate
7: spell turning, plane shift, greater teleport, teleport object, power word blind, grasping hand, project image, waves of exhaustion, ethereal jaunt, reverse gravity
8: dimensional lock, mind blank, prismatic wall, protection from spells, maze, discern location, moment of prescience, irresistible dance, power word stun, clenched fist, sunburst, telekinetic sphere
9: prismatic sphere, foresight (unless stingy DM), crushing hand, wail of the banshee, etherealness, time stop

Feel free to adjust the list as desired, of course, and good luck on the remaining lists. Sorry if I missed anything.

Clerics are going to be more of a pain. While you can manage without a narrow arcane utility spell, being without a narrow band-aid is going to be a pain when you need it. You might provide an alternate method to accessing these spells, such as "The cleric can fix anything in the morning if it's on the full 3.5 spell list." Or again items or rituals or etc.

With a smaller spell list I'd suggest getting spell cards or copy-pasting every spell from the SRD into a small handy reference manual. One for each class.