PDA

View Full Version : is there a good way to do this?

pyromanser244
2012-11-06, 03:21 PM
this is something I've been wondering for a while now. is it possible to build a caster that specializing in using sonic damage spells and spells with effects based on sounds?

Silva Stormrage
2012-11-06, 03:24 PM
Yes

There is easily enough sonic spells that you could get this to work. Even more so if you get spells like mage armor which aren't really thematic and are generic wizard spells.

I would suggest going and spamming metamgic to be the most effective (Watch out too much metamagic abused turns you into a mailman build which tend to get DM smote)

nedz
2012-11-06, 03:33 PM
Bard would be a good choice for this because their lists contain list of sonic type spells, and also music.

Darrin
2012-11-06, 08:36 PM
this is something I've been wondering for a while now. is it possible to build a caster that specializing in using sonic damage spells and spells with effects based on sounds?

Yes. Something like: Bard 6/Lyric Thaumaturge 5/Sublime Chord 2/Incantatrix 7

Sonic Might adds +1d6 sonic damage per spell level. Energy Substitute a Heightened Persisted flame dagger with Born of Three Thunders, and you've got a melee touch attack that does Xd6 sonic damage plus a save vs. stun and a save vs. prone. Might be able to fit Reach Spell or Ocular Spell in there, too.

prufock
2012-11-06, 09:18 PM
Creaking Cacophony (SC) makes enemies take 50% more sonic damage, along with other effects. Only rounds/level, and SR applies, but no save.

Mishkov
2012-11-06, 09:35 PM

Sonic Might adds +1d6 sonic damage per spell level. Energy Substitute a Heightened Persisted flame dagger with Born of Three Thunders, and you've got a melee touch attack that does Xd6 sonic damage plus a save vs. stun and a save vs. prone. Might be able to fit Reach Spell or Ocular Spell in there, too.

That's a nice build!

Also, in magic of faerun, the energy substitution feat, sonic is in as one of the choices to change energy types. It's not there in the complete arcane version. Talk to your DM about it if that other book is in. Generally sonics aren't that broken, so you're probably good.

nedz
2012-11-06, 11:46 PM
Well the odd thing about Bards is that they have all these stealthy skills, and then they go and make lots of noise.:smallamused:

pyromanser244
2012-11-06, 11:48 PM

yeah, I'm going to have to look some stuff up. bard does sound like a good chassis for this type of thing.

That's a nice build!

Also, in magic of faerun, the energy substitution feat, sonic is in as one of the choices to change energy types. It's not there in the complete arcane version. Talk to your DM about it if that other book is in. Generally sonics aren't that broken, so you're probably good.

well hah. thanks I had written energy sub off on account of it's entry in CA but if I could get that to work sorcerer could be a valid contender with the bard. it'll open up the list considerably regardless. :smallamused:

EDIT:

Creaking Cacophony (SC) makes enemies take 50% more sonic damage, along with other effects. Only rounds/level, and SR applies, but no save.

oooooh I like this.:smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2012-11-07, 08:21 AM
That's a nice build!

Not sure I got it right, was going from memory... actually, I think I was trying to use Favored/Primary Contact to get into Lyric Thaumaturge after Bard 5, so you can go into Sublime Chord at ECL 11 as usual. Reach/Ocular Spell won't work with a persisted flame dagger, though.

Born of Three Thunders gets around this. Energy Substitute to electricity, and then Born of Three Thunders makes half of that damage [sonic]. The downside to using Born of Three Thunders is you're automatically dazed on your next turn, but you can use Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) to get a Will save vs. Daze, which takes a move action but still leaves you with a standard and swift action.

It's a really, really feat-intensive build, though... I'd only recommend it if your DM is ok with feat-retraining or Dark Chaos Shuffle shenanigans.

only1doug
2012-11-07, 09:39 AM
Another feat to consider for your Sonic based build is Clap of Thunder reserve feat, which will grant you a touch attack dealing sonic damage and a +1 caster level for all of your sonic based spells.