PDA

View Full Version : Playable Nyph 3.5e

Grim_Greg
2012-11-06, 06:30 PM
Heya guys, would anybody mind helping me convert a Nyph from the 3.5 Monster Manual into a playable character for a 3.5e game? Many thanks!

Temotei
2012-11-06, 08:29 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8167378&postcount=278)'s a class that advances you along being a nymph for seven levels instead of restricting you with LA and Racial Hit Dice, if that works for you.

Yitzi
2012-11-06, 10:17 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8167378&postcount=278)'s a class that advances you along being a nymph for seven levels instead of restricting you with LA and Racial Hit Dice, if that works for you.

You know, that would make a nice 3-level dip for a CHA-based build. Only problem is getting a CHA-based build that doesn't suffer too much from multiclassing...

Grim_Greg
2012-11-07, 07:00 AM
Alright thanks a bunch Yitzi, although would it be ok to be given the link that show you how to convert monsters into playable characters just in case I don't decide to go down the class route

Yitzi
2012-11-07, 09:26 AM
You mean the rules for monsters as characters using the normal monster?
That's here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm). It does mean, though, that you can't have a nymph in less than a 13th level party.

Grim_Greg
2012-11-07, 10:32 AM
Ooh bleak!!! Guess I won't be taking that route after all :P

willpell
2012-11-07, 10:58 AM
You know, that would make a nice 3-level dip for a CHA-based build.

You can't "dip" a monster class. If you take one level of nymph, you have to take all thirteen of them consecutively with no interruption. It allows you to start playing an LA-and-HD creature sooner, but it doesn't actually skirt the restriction of needing to take all the LA and HD before you can start adding class levels.

Temotei
2012-11-07, 05:52 PM
You can't "dip" a monster class. If you take one level of nymph, you have to take all thirteen of them consecutively with no interruption. It allows you to start playing an LA-and-HD creature sooner, but it doesn't actually skirt the restriction of needing to take all the LA and HD before you can start adding class levels.

You can with those classes, actually.

Do I need to take all the levels or can I just take what I want and then go to other class?
Just like a normal class, you can leave a monster class at any level up and then even come back later if you wish. You aren't suposed to mix diferent monster classes togheter however. Do it at your own risk.

willpell
2012-11-08, 02:54 AM
You can with those classes, actually.

That may be the opinion of the homebrewer for this particular MC, but it contradicts the general rule on MCs from Savage Species. I don't have the book in front of me to check the exact wording, but I'm 99.8% certain it states that a character who takes any levels of a monster class must take all of them.

Since we're talking homebrew, you can ignore the RAW, but you do so at your own peril. Monster classes are not designed for dipping, and doing this could produce all manner of undesireable results which could unbalance the game. Or maybe not, but the GM has the final say on whether it's allowed, and "no" is the safer assumption until you get him asked.

Lord_Gareth
2012-11-08, 03:34 AM
That may be the opinion of the homebrewer for this particular MC, but it contradicts the general rule on MCs from Savage Species. I don't have the book in front of me to check the exact wording, but I'm 99.8% certain it states that a character who takes any levels of a monster class must take all of them.

Since we're talking homebrew, you can ignore the RAW, but you do so at your own peril. Monster classes are not designed for dipping, and doing this could produce all manner of undesireable results which could unbalance the game. Or maybe not, but the GM has the final say on whether it's allowed, and "no" is the safer assumption until you get him asked.

Allow me to say this again:

The thread containing the homebrew Nymph class does not operate under normal Savage Species rules.

Now that this has been established, moving on to point two:

That thread contains a different method of treating monsters as classes, with entirely different and separate rules.

Which means, three:

The Savage Species rule about needing to take all levels does not apply if they choose to use that option.

That should clear up the position on the homebrew Nymph just fine.

Temotei
2012-11-08, 02:51 PM
*Good stuff*

That should clear up the position on the homebrew Nymph just fine.

True dat. Savage Species was awful and needed a rework, so this came along and was completely different and it works, in my experience. They're really popular, though they're not my cup of tea. Besides, the DM can disallow anything, to be fair.