PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Mythic Adventures

Weimann
2012-11-06, 06:55 PM
So I caught sight of this thing (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lduw?Mythic-Adventures). It seems to be an attempt to bring epic heroism and demi-godly prowess into the Pathfinder system.

From what I can read there, the system will use Mythic Tiers that work independently of levels, and increase once you have performed a specific number of epic deeds. It doesn't say how these are defined, but I like to think you get to define them yourself. That would be a very nice way of making characters invested in the setting and progression of the story.

However, even as someone who has not touched a Pathfinder book and know of D&D 3.5 from reading the core book and seeing some discussions going on here on the forums, I'm sceptical towards the mechanical side of things. The article states that they will be using the same base system as in normal Pathfinder. I assume this is pretty similar to D&D 3.5. Now, here's an example of a Mythic feat.

Amazing Initiative (Ex): At 2nd tier, a mythic character gains a +20 mythic bonus on his initiative checks. In addition, he can spend one use of his mythic power each round to take an additional turn, treating his initiative for this second turn as his initiative roll without the +20 mythic bonus. Using this ability is a free action that must be decided at the end of his first action during the round.

If this is representative of the design behind Pathfinder Mythic Adventures, then I'm a bit worried. From what I understand, the base system breaks down at higher levels, partly due to huge bonus-stacking. Doesn't this just take those problems down to level 4 instead of level 20?

If this thing works out for them, it might be the thing that makes me actually look into Pathfinder. I'm an Exalted fan, this is my kind of game. But I'm not crossing my fingers.

What's the verdict from more system-savvy people?

Starbuck_II
2012-11-06, 06:59 PM
So I caught sight of this thing (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lduw?Mythic-Adventures). It seems to be an attempt to bring epic heroism and demi-godly prowess into the Pathfinder system.

From what I can read there, the system will use Mythic Tiers that work independently of levels, and increase once you have performed a specific number of epic deeds. It doesn't say how these are defined, but I like to think you get to define them yourself. That would be a very nice way of making characters invested in the setting and progression of the story.

However, even as someone who has not touched a Pathfinder book and know of D&D 3.5 from reading the core book and seeing some discussions going on here on the forums, I'm sceptical towards the mechanical side of things. The article states that they will be using the same base system as in normal Pathfinder. I assume this is pretty similar to D&D 3.5. Now, here's an example of a Mythic feat.

If this is representative of the design behind Pathfinder Mythic Adventures, then I'm a bit worried. From what I understand, the base system breaks down at higher levels, partly due to huge bonus-stacking. Doesn't this just take those problems down to level 4 instead of level 20?

If this thing works out for them, it might be the thing that makes me actually look into Pathfinder. I'm an Exalted fan, this is my kind of game. But I'm not crossing my fingers.

What's the verdict from more system-savvy people?

The ability is cool, but since everyone in party can have it, it can get complicated.

The big thing is how do you advance in Mythic levels? What guidelines will they give us?

Weimann
2012-11-06, 07:10 PM
So far, literally only this.

Mythic tiers are not gained by accumulating experience points. Instead, a mythic character has to accomplish a specific number of deeds to achieve the next tier of mythic power. Using this system, your mythic tier is not tied to your character level. You still gain XP as normal, still gain levels as normal, but occasionally you might increase your mythic tier as well, adding a few new mythic abilities and powers to your character.

It's pretty vague. I've chosen to interpret it as that you get to decide for yourself (within reason) what the advancement condition shall be. That's the hook for me, that such a thing would act as an incentive for players to do what they want with their characters and make them more likely to form the direction and style of the setting and story.

The idea that's in my head is that players would be able to say "I will conquer this country" or "I will free the salves of the city" or "I will sleep with every nobleman at court" and then they get awesome powers for it.

Edit: There also seems to be a custom Mythic Minotaur statted up (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ldvg?Mythic-Playtest-Sneak-Peek).

grarrrg
2012-11-07, 12:32 AM
It says you have to spend 1 use of your "mythic power" to use the Extra Trun ability.
_If_ this is intended for Standard Play, then you probably only get 1 or 2 Mythic Points per day until Higher levels.

As for the straight up +20 to Initiative...it is a "tier 2" ability, so maybe you start at "tier 0" and you aren't expected to reach "tier 2" until after level 10?

Maybe?
Or maybe it will be along the lines of 3.5 Epic stuff?
Dunno.

ThiagoMartell
2012-11-07, 04:45 AM
Looks like Pathfinder's epic system.

Friv
2012-11-07, 12:15 PM
Edit: There also seems to be a custom Mythic Minotaur statted up (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5ldvg?Mythic-Playtest-Sneak-Peek).

Okay, let's see what we can deduce...

1) Mythic Tier 2 seems to give the minotaur +2 AC, +20 HP, DR 5/epic, SR 17, +2 to his Str, and two unique powers.
2) Mythic Tier 2 also grants the vague ability Mythic Power (2/day, 1d6), implying that you get one mythic power use per day per tier, and that it grants some way to add dice to something.
3) Oubliette is awesome for driving groups of players insane with rage, which I approve of. It's less useful in single combat. Domain Mastery... could be used on the smallest mazes in the world, I guess? I mean, a hundred feet to a side is about the size of a baseball diamond. That is not a very big maze.

Darius Kane
2012-11-07, 12:31 PM
Looks like Pathfinder's epic system.
Because that's what it is.