PDA

View Full Version : captian america 3.5

ocarthewarrior
2012-11-06, 07:04 PM
alright everyone. I was wanting to get some perspective and help with an idea ive been throwing around.

im working on a character based off of captian america. ive taken all the appropriate shield feats. and was wondering what else i can do to make it more along the lines of captian america. i was thinking of possible using a repeating crossbow since on occasion he did use a pistol. i also thought about a level or two of monk for the improved unarmed strike since when his shield is gone captian america like to go hand to hand.

i did end up getting a celestial major blood line so keep that in mind when thinking about feats and levels.

i dont have many books open so please stick to unearthed arcana, players handbook 2, players handbook, monster manual, dm's guide, cityscape, dungeonscape and forgotten realms campaign setting. i can also pick one prestige class out of one of the completes.

so what is everyones thoughts.

AdamT
2012-11-06, 07:11 PM
The place to start would be http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10232.0;wap2. A lot of it wont work for you because of limits on books available, but it should have most of the ideas that would work for you. Note at the bottom of the post is a captain america build which uses ToB, but you'll see what feats and things that are available to you they used.

eggs
2012-11-06, 07:33 PM
PhoenixInferno made a pretty popular Captain America back in the day, but it looks like it was eaten by the WotC site. Here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10232.msg345733#msg345733)'s a stub. Leadership was for Bucky.

I could imagine a Warblade/Bloodstorm blade dip worked in there, if you wanted to play up the shield flinging.

EDIT: That is way too long a time difference to even try to spin as ninjaing.

AdamT
2012-11-06, 09:08 PM
EDIT: That is way too long a time difference to even try to spin as ninjaing.

:smallcool:

Talionis
2012-11-06, 10:45 PM
Dungeon Crasher alternate class feature from Dungeoneering, for a fighter adds a lot of damage. You didn't outline what classes and feats you know about so it makes it hard to know where to start.

Hulking Hurler prestige class might be an option. Adds damage and Throwing which is really hard for you to get and an integral part of being Captain America.

Since you don't have Bloodstorm Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle Book of the Nine Swords, you may want a Returning property to your shield.

One of the Best shield prestige classes is Ironsoul Forgemaster is a great shield prestige class for a single level dip since you can get some great resistances... But the book isn't on your list.

ocarthewarrior
2012-11-07, 11:00 AM
thanks ill have to look into the hulking hurler. what book is the ironsoul forgemaster in. i might be able to talk my dm into letting me use it.

as for what i already know about, just pretend i dont know about any of it and tell me what you think will be a good idea.

Zonugal
2012-11-07, 10:04 PM
What do you think about a build like:

Human Paladin 4/Fighter 1/Kensai 10?

Enchant your shield and pick up some interesting abilities.

Talionis
2012-11-08, 04:57 PM
What do you think about a build like:

Human Paladin 4/Fighter 1/Kensai 10?

Enchant your shield and pick up some interesting abilities.

Really an interesting idea... Though you could just get Tony Stark (Worlds most Powerful Atrificer to make you a Shield)

MidgetMarine
2012-11-08, 05:32 PM
Dwarven Buckler-Axe (Races of stone) Should be a perfect CA Shield. It falls under the Weapon section, this allowing you to enchant it with Returning. That's my best contribution.

Talionis
2012-11-13, 11:35 AM
thanks ill have to look into the hulking hurler. what book is the ironsoul forgemaster in. i might be able to talk my dm into letting me use it.

as for what i already know about, just pretend i dont know about any of it and tell me what you think will be a good idea.

Ironsoul Forgemaster is a Prestige Class in Magic of Incarnum.
Hulking Hurler is in Complete Warrior.

Arcanist
2012-11-13, 04:54 PM
Really an interesting idea... Though you could just get Tony Stark (Worlds most Powerful Atrificer to make you a Shield)

I've yet to see a satisfactory Tony Stark build because it never explains what the Iron Man Armor would be... I mean I've figured using enchanted Mechanus Armor for that, but eh... :smallannoyed:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-13, 05:51 PM
I've yet to see a satisfactory Tony Stark build because it never explains what the Iron Man Armor would be... I mean I've figured using enchanted Mechanus Armor for that, but eh... :smallannoyed:

Tony stark is an artificer with limitless wealth.

Iron man is a warforged warlock of at 6th level.

Iku Rex
2012-11-13, 07:10 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a

Just make sure you solve the icing problem.

doko239
2012-11-13, 11:55 PM
If you're willing to use Pathfinder stuff, check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13018902#post13018902) out.

karkus
2012-11-14, 01:08 AM
His shield should be an artifact, giving you damage reduction or otherwise damage negation of some sort. Remember, that shield was really frickin' special. If it's not an artifact, it should probably be an Epic piece of armor.

Wise Green Bean
2012-11-14, 03:49 AM

I hope BATMAN didn't hear you say that. He won't kill you...you'll just wish he had.

doko239
2012-11-14, 01:08 PM
I hope BATMAN didn't hear you say that. He won't kill you...you'll just wish he had.

Hey, Batman ain't no artificer... he has people for that.

Lucius Fox, on the other hand...

Arcanist
2012-11-14, 01:38 PM
Tony stark is an artificer with limitless wealth.

Iron man is a warforged warlock of at 6th level.

Wouldn't that imply they are two totally different people? :smallconfused:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a

Just make sure you solve the icing problem.

"What Icying problem?" :smalltongue: So cannot wait for the 3rd one to come out...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-14, 02:37 PM
In D&D terms yeah, a Warfoged Warlock 6 has Iron man's most iconic abilities and Tony's gadgeeter genius is only approximated by the artificer chassis.

Another problem I've seen with trying to make the Iron Man armour is that people try to cram everything into the same slots. Personally I would separate each component in different item slots. Boots which cast fly, gloves which can cast Orb of Force X times per day, Fortification armour, etc.

Talionis
2012-11-14, 04:52 PM
Hey, Batman ain't no artificer... he has people for that.

Lucius Fox, on the other hand...

Yeah, I'd say Batman is the world's greatest Factotum, but that maybe over simplifying it.

doko239
2012-11-14, 06:34 PM
In D&D terms yeah, a Warfoged Warlock 6 has Iron man's most iconic abilities and Tony's gadgeeter genius is only approximated by the artificer chassis.

Another problem I've seen with trying to make the Iron Man armour is that people try to cram everything into the same slots. Personally I would separate each component in different item slots. Boots which cast fly, gloves which can cast Orb of Force X times per day, Fortification armour, etc.

There's a pretty solid Iron Man build in the thread I linked before, but again it's Pathfinder-based. Uses "Construct Armor" which is basically exactly what it sounds like; a medium-sized Iron Golem that you can wear as armor. Customize it with a few abilities (fly speed, Scorching Ray SLAs, etc) and voila.

Zonugal
2012-11-14, 07:16 PM
I have found it is pretty easy to build Tony Stark and his armor to a fair degree, but the hardest item to adapt in my mind is his miniature arc reactor. I have no idea what that would translate to...

Talionis
2012-11-14, 07:46 PM
I have found it is pretty easy to build Tony Stark and his armor to a fair degree, but the hardest item to adapt in my mind is his miniature arc reactor. I have no idea what that would translate to...

Maybe a Soulspark Familiar? I thought there was some trick to get essential with it? In E6 you can take a ton of Incarnum feats, several grant flying which would allow your crafting to go farther. The intelligences of the familiar could be Jarvis.

There are for sure loops with Psi Crystals, and similar builds could be constructed, but psychic doesn't work as well as Incarnum on just feats and Stark is clearly an Artificer.

Zonugal
2012-11-14, 07:53 PM
SEE!?!?! I'd say it is easily the hardest part of adapting.

It can be stolen and used to power other suits, so a feat doesn't really work for it. For a while I thought it might be a Heart of Steel graft upgraded to have some sort of psychic power loop going on but...?

KitTheOdd
2012-11-14, 09:49 PM
In addition to Kensai there was a feat from BoED called Ancestral Relic, I believe, that also helped you give a specific weapon extra power.

dascarletm
2012-11-14, 11:36 PM
In addition to Kensai there was a feat from BoED called Ancestral Relic, I believe, that also helped you give a specific weapon extra power.

If it is for playing in a campaign that would be good, but if it is just to build him for funzies I'd like to point out the shield has a static, albeit high, power level.

Talionis
2012-11-15, 09:19 AM
Dungeon Crasher fighter variant from Dungeonscape maybe a good thing to look at. It gives a good boost to Bull Rushing and that seems to be something that Captain America does with his shield.

That may also be one of the better base classes for entry into any or all the Prestige Classes you are looking at.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-11-15, 09:22 AM
A mix of Dungeon Crasher fighter, warblade master thrower and Bloodstorm blade is in my opinion the best way to emulate the captain's abilities (the I am at the human peak comes from just being an adventurer, seriously, any level 1 character can break most Olympic records without problem)

Talionis
2012-11-16, 09:10 AM
Here is the Sword and Board Handbook: Its worth a look. It may give you ideas: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10232.0;wap2

Also here is Person Man's Guide to Shield use: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630