PDA

View Full Version : how to get a drunken master to magically enhance improvised weapons on the fly?

Hirax
2012-11-07, 02:30 AM
I'm building a character whose whole schtick is fighting with whatever is around them, meaning they will always be using improvised weapons. Is there any way that I could make it so that any wielded improvised weapon is treated as having useful magical properties of any kind? Ghost touch? Seeking? Elemental damage? Edit: this is a throwing build, so I'd need to be able to apply it to multiple different objects, and probably new objects every round.

Bonus points if you can think of a way for me to apply use d4s or d10s to improvised weapon damage, as thanks to dungeoncrashing, monk unarmed strikes, and drunken master, a successful bull rush hit into a solid object will do 4d6+2d8+1d12, plus a bunch of strength.

Edit2: as an aside, my tentative build has one open level, and is monk2 (overwhelming attack variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#overwhelmingAttack))/fighter2 (dungeoncrasher)/warblade1/barb1 (dragon totem for blind-fight)/frenzied berserker1/bloodstorm blade3/drunken master9. Race is goliath dragonborn, LA is waived. I mean well in my quest to kill evil, I really do. :smallbiggrin: I already meet all the feat pre reqs for fist of the forest, it's something I'd consider if there's nothing better out there, though I'm hesitant because this build is probably already has enough fluff baggage that isn't going to be friendly to every adventuring party. *I* think it's awesome, but it's not necessarily going to play well with others.

Feats I've squeezed in (including 2 flaws, class feats, etc.): Power attack, point blank shot, cleave, improved unarmed strike, dodge, improved bull rush, knockback, quick draw, dungeoncrasher, intimidating rage, blind-fight, throw anything, destructive rage, combat reflexes, diehard, superior unarmed strike, extra rage, improved feint, improved grapple, and extra frenzy. From magic items I'm getting far shot, great fortitude, and improved natural attack.

I'd like to add reckless rage, and if I go the fist of the forest route, another extra rage tweaked to feral trances. I would strongly prefer to avoid the chaos shuffle.

rot42
2012-11-07, 02:52 AM
Artificer, though that is really geared towards a completely different archetype from the Drunken Master.

Dragonshard Pommel Stones (The Forge of War 121) store enhancements and can be moved about basically like the weapon crystals in the MIC.

Magic of Incarnum has a few soulmelds that have effects similar to what you want: Lightning Gauntlets (add electricity damage to attacks) and Crystal Helm (add [Force] descriptor to melee attacks). Unfortunately, each requires a chakra bind. If your DM is comfortable with minor tweaks to existing rules and trusts you not to get silly with it, it would probably be possible to replace "natural weapon" with "improvised weapon" in several Totemist soulmelds.

Eugenides
2012-11-07, 03:00 AM
With a little homebrew/tweaking, you might be able to talk your DM into allowing you to put the Kensai's modifications into your currently improvised weapon.

You know, it's 100% not RAW, or even RAI, but it fits a flavor, it's really not at all abusable, even in what is likely a low OP setting(I could be wrong here, but drunken master isn't that great of a PrC OP wise.) However, all these things add up to AMAZING roleplay. Which your DM probably will be happy with.

Hirax
2012-11-07, 03:05 AM
Artificer, though that is really geared towards a completely different archetype from the Drunken Master.

Dragonshard Pommel Stones (The Forge of War 121) store enhancements and can be moved about basically like the weapon crystals in the MIC.

Magic of Incarnum has a few soulmelds that have effects similar to what you want: Lightning Gauntlets (add electricity damage to attacks) and Crystal Helm (add [Force] descriptor to melee attacks). Unfortunately, each requires a chakra bind. If your DM is comfortable with minor tweaks to existing rules and trusts you not to get silly with it, it would probably be possible to replace "natural weapon" with "improvised weapon" in several Totemist soulmelds.

I had thought about the necklace of natural attacks along the same lines as you're thinking for incarnum (and Eugenides with kensai). My build is pretty feat starved, but I'll put incarnum on the sideline to potentially supplement a necklace of natural attacks if I go that route.

At a glance, pommel stones appear to only work with masterwork weapons, and I'm not sure there's such a thing as a masterwork improvised weapon. :smallbiggrin: Even then, this is primarily a throwing build, so I'd need to something I could apply to multiple objects. Full attacks will consist of a barrage of pretty much everything that's within arm's reach. Owning to how strong this character will be in a rage+frenzy, that might even mean ripping out ceiling beams to hurl, and unwittingly causing collapses. :smalltongue:

Medic!
2012-11-07, 02:36 PM
Vow of Poverty :smallamused:

I mean you could get the enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, and chase up some sanctified strike chains for bonuses against evil (anywhere from +1 up to 2d6 iirc).

It would, of course, eat up two more feats and I'm sure the playground is throwing rotten fruit at the screen as they read this....but it's an idea!