PDA

View Full Version : Energy regeneration

Panzerbjorn
2012-11-07, 06:54 AM
Hi yall im workin on a pathfinder char, and Ifrit sorcerer, and im wanting to tweek it. my DM is lettin us use any source 3.5/d20/etc.
now i have fire resistance 5 atm and im lvl 2. now what i want to do is turn the resistance into somethin like Healing flames from Races of Faerun or a modified trolls regen ability. Basically instead of me ignoring 5 points of fire damage, the fire damage would heal me.
now my DM wants me to balance it out so water would hurt me more than normal. Is there anything like this in a book somewhere like a template or somethin I can go off of? How would i write it up? thanks for the help :D

herrhauptmann
2012-11-07, 11:48 AM
Just got a question:
You'll take 'water damage.' Does the DM maybe mean you take extra damage from Cold like certain fire-type creatures? Or does he actually mean you'll take physical damage for taking a bath? Because there's no 'water damage' in 3.5 that I can think of. Not unless you count a few monsters that shoot high pressure steam at people.

Healing from fire?
I can't think of anything. But for Fire-stuff in general, there's the feat Calishiite Elementalist from either Players Guide to Faerun (or Races of Faerun, I always get them mixed up).
Do Ifrits have a way of getting healing from fire? I know sylphs can get minor healing from lightning.

Deth Muncher
2012-11-07, 04:41 PM
There isn't water damage, but I'd say it might be reasonable to say that you could take the normal d6 per round while damp until you dry off (a standard action, like with putting out a fire), and maybe more if you're submerged in water, like with lava.

And maybe up the damage die from water-based things, like Water Elementals, for damage they do to you.

Panzerbjorn
2012-11-07, 06:28 PM
by water damage i meant like doubling the damage taken from water attacks.
but since i have fire resistance 5 atm, would i only get "fire-healing" 5? with water attacks doing an extra 5 points of damage?
or would i just have fire attacks heal me, and water deal double?
I havent been able to find anything about a race besides fire/ magma memphits being able to be healed by fire. but they only get healed by fire from say a torch, not fire attacks.

Gerrtt
2012-11-07, 07:20 PM
There used to be a druid spell in Masters of the Wild called Water Ball, which was like fireball but did subdual damage.

Not sure if it ever got moved into 3.5.

Glimbur
2012-11-07, 10:16 PM
by water damage i meant like doubling the damage taken from water attacks.
but since i have fire resistance 5 atm, would i only get "fire-healing" 5? with water attacks doing an extra 5 points of damage?
I havent been able to find anything about a race besides fire/ magma memphits being able to be healed by fire. but they only get healed by fire from say a torch, not fire attacks.

There are a couple of golems that have funny interactions with some spells, but that's not exactly a 'race'.

You could dive headfirst in to a subsystem you might not have encountered yet (Incarnum) for the Phoenix Belt soulmeld, which can eventually get you healing from fire damage, but not at the character level you are at.

The only thing I can think of that is hurt by water is the Dry Lich from Sandstorm. I think they treat all water as holy water and, since they are undead, take damage accordingly.

grarrrg
2012-11-07, 10:24 PM

There really aren't many ways to do what you want to.
The only one that comes to mind is already PF (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-ifrit):

Fire in the Blood Ifrits with this racial trait mimic the healing abilities of the mephits, gaining fast healing 2 for 1 round anytime they take fire damage (whether or not this fire damage gets through their fire resistance). The ifrits can heal up to 2 hit points per level per day with this ability, after which it ceases to function. This racial trait replaces fire affinity.

Quite limited.
But talk to your DM, maybe you can work something out.

Psyren
2012-11-08, 10:26 AM
PF Kineticists have an ability that lets them siphon incoming damage from their active energy type, converting it into PP. The damage is absorbed and you can then use the PP to heal yourself, attack etc.

There is also the psionic power Energy Conversion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/e/energy-conversion), which does something similar but has more limited applications.

Panzerbjorn
2012-11-08, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the great help yall. my DM is letting me have the all-fire-attacks heal while water damage is doubled as an alt race trait. its based mainly on the "Fire in the Blood" alt race trait :D

ojayaba
2012-11-09, 10:38 AM
you could try to use the ashrat in MM2 or MM3 as an example of healing from fire...