PDA

View Full Version : Domain spells as SLAs - Perks of the Divine Agency

Keltaris
2012-11-07, 11:40 AM
Ok, first of all, I should say that this is not highly optimized, I'm just trying to show you something I found, and I'm sure that with your help we can make it much better.

So, take you Manual of the Planes (yeah, I know, 3.0 but bear with me).

In there you will find the Divine Agent PrC, a pretty meh prestige class it would seem.

Now I'd like you to read the Godly Gift feature, that it gets at 3rd, 6th, and 9th.

So, yeah... Domain spells as SLAs.

This opens up lots of possibilities. Granted you have only a few domains available (the ones of the deity you worship), you still can find a lot of cool things.

The important thing to remember here is that being SLAs, they are all cast as standard actions and require no material components or XP expenditure.

Off the top of my head:

Ghoul Glyph (Hunger 2): Because paralyzing creatures as a standard action with no save is fun.

Geas/Quest (Charm 6, Domination 6, Fate 6, Inquisition 6, Nobility 6, Tyranny 6): Another no-save beauty to cast as a standard action.

Miracle (Luck 9): No XP-cost to pay for you!

There are many, many other that would be good to expand your spell list or that could go up in value considering that you're casting them as SLAs.

Unfortunately you get to use these SLAs only 1/day, but if you want to get more uses you could just take the same spell as Godly Gift, so that by 9th level you'd cast it 3/day.

What do you think?

P.s: Seeing as the PrC advances CL only 5/10, I'd advise playing with something other than a full-caster. Paladin can enter it at 8th, and the same goes for a Ranger with (somehow) Knowledge(religion) maxed. It would surely more versatile.

Keltaris
2012-11-22, 07:13 AM
Any idea on how to better this?

Xan499
2012-11-22, 07:51 AM
Shapechange from the animal domain
Time Stop from trickery domain
Power Word Kill from war domain
Polymorph Any Object, also from trickery domain
Greater Teleport from travel domain
True Creation from creation domain

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-22, 08:05 AM
Neat!

It should be pointed out though that SLAs default to standard only if no casting time is given. Meaning that only components are not needed. Still one hell of a boon, though.

I've trawled through a list of domains (Found here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html)), and have come up with some other useful spells to cast as SLAs:

True Creation: No XP cost for anything non-magical? Hell. And. Yes.

Gate: No XP cost Gate anyone?

Wish: I really need to explain this one?

Trap the soul: No material component, you say?

Animate, Create AND Create Greater undead: Minionmancers just became very happy.

Symbol of pain: No material components for this one.

True Resurrection: Bring anyone back to life, for free?!

Astral Projection: No material components here, folks.

Keltaris
2012-11-22, 09:18 AM
Neat!

It should be pointed out though that SLAs default to standard only if no casting time is given. Meaning that only components are not needed. Still one hell of a boon, though.

I've trawled through a list of domains (Found here (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html)), and have come up with some other useful spells to cast as SLAs:

True Creation: No XP cost for anything non-magical? Hell. And. Yes.

Gate: No XP cost Gate anyone?

Wish: I really need to explain this one?

Trap the soul: No material component, you say?

Animate, Create AND Create Greater undead: Minionmancers just became very happy.

Symbol of pain: No material components for this one.

True Resurrection: Bring anyone back to life, for free?!

Astral Projection: No material components here, folks.

I'm a bit confused on the matter.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160948) they seem to get to a different conclusion for what concerns the Factotum.

Another good spell is Simulacrum, found in the Sin-Envy domain.

Snowbluff
2012-11-22, 10:01 AM

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160948) they seem to get to a different conclusion for what concerns the Factotum.

Simulacrum with no cost is like... okay it's just messed up.

I love that spell. I once made a bunch of Simulacra Solars once. It was pretty sweet.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-11-22, 11:31 AM

Yeah, sorry. Didn't write that as clearly as I should have done.

SLAs mimic spells, along with their casting times. The only thing that it doesn't mimic is the need for any sort of component.

Keltaris
2012-11-22, 11:49 AM
Yeah, sorry. Didn't write that as clearly as I should have done.

SLAs mimic spells, along with their casting times. The only thing that it doesn't mimic is the need for any sort of component.

No, you were pretty clear.

Point is, apparently, reading that post, the Factotum, with his Arcane Dilettante class feature, should be able to use Ghoul Glyph as a standard action.

Still, I'm confused, because not all posters seem to agree on the matter.

Simulacrum with no cost is like... okay it's just messed up.

I love that spell. I once made a bunch of Simulacra Solars once. It was pretty sweet.

It is, even though in this case has a CL limited to your Divine Agent level.

The spell-like ability functions as a spell cast by a cleric of a level equal to the Divine Agent's character level

I think this bit should also solve the casting time issue.

Sadly Ghoul Glyph is not viable anymore.

Snowbluff
2012-11-22, 12:01 PM

That's fine.

Simulacrum
1) Choose a creature with up to twice your CL in HD.
2) Cut it's stuff in half.
3) So tenth level Agent can make a 20 HD outsider. FOR FREE. Ad nauseum. Solars are out the question, but you have plenty of options. Like a Balor or Pitfiend.

mattie_p
2012-11-22, 12:26 PM

The spell-like ability functions as a spell cast by a cleric of a level equal to the Divine Agent's character level
Your quote is correct, but you are reading it incorrectly. Character level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_characterlevel&alpha=C) is a defined term, meaning a character's total level, or the sum of each of his or her levels. For a character without racial hit dice, character level is your hit dice.

Keltaris
2012-11-22, 02:10 PM
Your quote is correct, but you are reading it incorrectly. Character level (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_characterlevel&alpha=C) is a defined term, meaning a character's total level, or the sum of each of his or her levels. For a character without racial hit dice, character level is your hit dice.

Yeah, you're right, I totally misread that.

Well, at least we get a great CL on that Simulacrum.

Not that it needed it to be more broken than it already was...

:smallbiggrin: