PDA

View Full Version : Wizard spell aquisition

Story
2012-11-07, 05:07 PM
It looks like Wizards naturally acquire two free spells per level (3 for Domain Wizards). How do wizards typically acquire their other spells? Do they find scrolls or spellbooks to copy from in dungeon treasure? Do they buy them in cities? During character creation of higher level characters, would extra spells be considered part of the initial equipment?

Also, I have a question about bonus spell slots from intelligence modifier. What if the slot is for a higher spell level than you can cast according to caster level? Do you just not get it?

Flickerdart
2012-11-07, 05:27 PM
You don't get bonus slots for a high ability score unless you can normally cast spells of that level.

As for learning spells, the most cost-efficient way is trading spells with other wizards. That way, you don't have to pay for the initial cost of the scroll.

Qwertystop
2012-11-07, 05:29 PM
It looks like Wizards naturally acquire two free spells per level (3 for Domain Wizards). How do wizards typically acquire their other spells? Do they find scrolls or spellbooks to copy from in dungeon treasure? Do they buy them in cities? During character creation of higher level characters, would extra spells be considered part of the initial equipment?

Also, I have a question about bonus spell slots from intelligence modifier. What if the slot is for a higher spell level than you can cast according to caster level? Do you just not get it?

In order, starting from "Do they find..."
Yes.
Yes.
Only if they pay the costs out of their WBL.
You only get spell slots from spell levels you can cast. Note that if the table says "0" rather than "-", you can cast that level as long as you have a high enough casting stat to get bonus slots for it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-11-07, 10:35 PM
In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level × 50 gp. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings) That's also in the Magic chapter of the PHB. Note that you're better off buying a scroll for a 1st level spell, but otherwise you can get spells for significantly cheaper by copying them from other wizards for the above fee.

You can find a friendly wizard and agree to trade spells instead of charging each other to copy spells. You could even set up a spell-sharing club among local wizards for sharing spells around, since it doesn't cost you anything to let someone copy one of your spells.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-11-08, 01:28 AM
There is also the cost of the special inks and such to even put them in your spellbook. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the price for these however. Will be back with an edit.

tyckspoon
2012-11-08, 01:32 AM
There is also the cost of the special inks and such to even put them in your spellbook. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the price for these however. Will be back with an edit.

100/page, 1 page/spell level.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-08, 02:22 AM
100/page, 1 page/spell level.

There are, however, ways to adjust this:

Boccob's blessed book defers this cost into the magic item, and can ultimately get you as low as 12.5gp per page in effect.

A geometer can reduce the page count to 1 page per spell, period.

Getting the spells tattooed onto your body instead of writing them in a book costs double, at 200gp per page and 1 page per spell level.

BBB is in the DMG, geometer and tattooed book are in Complete Arcane.

Spuddles
2012-11-08, 02:43 AM
If your DM rolls random loot, scrolls tend to show up with fairly high frequency on the low to mid levels for many of the magic item rolls.

only1doug
2012-11-08, 04:05 AM
Boccob's blessed book defers this cost into the magic item, and can ultimately get you as low as 12.5gp per page in effect.

BBB is in the DMG.

Note that you pay the entire cost of recording spells into a BBB upfront, so it only hits 12.5g / page when full, until then it can be considerably more expensive. (but I would recommend it, just buy the book upfront and then you never have to worry about the scribing costs of any spells you gain).

Also note that if you are planning on cost effectiveness you should carry a ordinary spellbook as well as your BBB, all your free spells from levelling up should be recorded in your ordinary spellbook and only the extra spells that you would pay to scribe should be recorded into the BBB.

Twilightwyrm
2012-11-08, 05:27 AM
You can find a friendly wizard and agree to trade spells instead of charging each other to copy spells. You could even set up a spell-sharing club among local wizards for sharing spells around, since it doesn't cost you anything to let someone copy one of your spells.

And thus a new Wizard's College/Guild is born! Seriously though, paying the entrance fee to gain entry to one of these is potentially one of the fastest ways of gaining many spells for your spell book(s) fairly cheaply, depending on your individual DM, the individual city, etc. Note also there might be various conspiracies, cults, secrets, etc. involved in such guilds, depending on the aforementioned factors.

hoverfrog
2012-11-08, 06:16 AM
Get the fellow wizards in your party to take different spells than you and swap them. Surely you're not the only wizard?

Find an NPC wizard and ask them what spells they want to exchange. It'll be cheaper that buying spells and you'll have a role play opportunity.

Find out where NPC wizards live, break into their homes and steal their spell books, possible murdering them in the process.

When the local lord hires you and offers gold for payment, during the negotiation phase, ask him to throw in a couple of scrolls as well. They're low cost items and the DM might just hand wave such a small request rather than giving it his full consideration.

Kill all the wizards and rob them
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j118/hoverFrog/Allthewizards.jpg

Flickerdart
2012-11-08, 12:58 PM
BBB is in the DMG, geometer and tattooed book are in Complete Arcane.
Complete Arcane has loads of other cool suggestions for scribing spells too - like bones or my personal favourite, into the architectural layout of a building.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-11-08, 01:59 PM
Complete Arcane has loads of other cool suggestions for scribing spells too - like bones or my personal favourite, into the architectural layout of a building.

The architectural spell-book is undeniably cool, but there's a bit of a portability issue.

The bone spellbook is an awesome option for a necromancer. Your spellbook is a skeleton that sits in your bag of holding till first thing in the morning, then have him climb out and thoroughly examine him for an hour. Creep people out to no end :smallbiggrin:

On a personal note, I like to combine the tattoos with arcane geometry for a few staple spells even if I'm not a geometer and otherwise use a normal spellbook. Never know when those blasted book thieves are about. Also, drawmij's instant summons cast on you book is something any wizard should do. If you don't, you're not paranoid enough.

Edenbeast
2012-11-08, 02:08 PM
How do wizards typically acquire their other spells? Do they find scrolls or spellbooks to copy from in dungeon treasure? Do they buy them in cities? During character creation of higher level characters, would extra spells be considered part of the initial equipment?

They can copy spells from books they find or buy the scroll in the city and then copy the spell. For higher level characters I normally let the player buy the scroll of the specific spell at character creation.