PDA

View Full Version : Clerics researching new spells.

Clistenes
2012-11-07, 07:22 PM
A strict interpretation of the rules would mean that a cleric wishing to develop a new spell of his own creation should spend a week per spell level working on it, and during all those days he/she couldn't do any other work.

That is quite a turn off for good clerics, since each time they want to research a 9th level spell they have to leave their flock unattended for more than two months, so...

Would you allow a cleric to fulfill their normal duties (advising their flock, casting Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Cure spells, Lesser Restoration, blessing crops...etc.) while doing their research (for example, spending 8 hours researching and 4 hours tending their church)?

If not, what about reducing the hours of daily research to 4 hours?

If not, would you allow him/her to research and tend his/her flock in alternate days?.

Invader
2012-11-07, 07:36 PM
I feel like you're confusing "cleric" with "preacher". There are tons of roles D&D clerics fill in the fantasy setting and I'd say that most don't actually involve having or taking care of any kind of congregation.

That being said, I think that's more of a fluff rule than anything and I think it'd be perfectly reasonable for a cleric to be able to conduct the duties you described if it falls in his wheelhouse as well as developing a new spell.

silverwolfer
2012-11-07, 07:37 PM
Clerics are "granted" abilties they do not "make " them

Invader
2012-11-07, 07:40 PM

Just say it requires 8 hours a day of quiet meditation and contemplation with your deity to request a new spell.

Gamer Girl
2012-11-07, 08:11 PM
Would you allow a cleric to fulfill their normal duties (advising their flock, casting Remove Disease, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Cure spells, Lesser Restoration, blessing crops...etc.) while doing their research (for example, spending 8 hours researching and 4 hours tending their church)?

No. But it would be rare for The Lone Cleric to have this problem. Say Father Joe wants to make a new spell. He simply goes on sabbatical and makes his spell while Father Fred, **** and Harry take care of the church.

mattie_p
2012-11-07, 08:38 PM

I believe you are mistaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#newDivineSpells), silverwolfer.

Independent Research
A divine spellcaster also can research a spell independently, much as an arcane spellcaster can. Only the creator of such a spell can prepare and cast it, unless he decides to share it with others.

lunar2
2012-11-08, 11:53 AM
most spell research would probably be done by either scholars or adventuring clerics, not by priests. that said, a single church likely has more than 1 priest, unless it is in a very small village. and a very small village probably doesn't have the resources for spell research, anyway.

@Clerics not making abilities. this is true, but they have to learn how to pray for the new spell. that is what they make, the formula for the new prayer.

Vaern
2012-11-08, 05:05 PM
The way I interpret divine spellcasting is that the deity grants clerics the divine power necessary to cast their spells, but it's up to the cleric to shape that power in a meaningful way to create a desired spell effect. That's just me, though.

As far as I can tell, the rules for creating a new spell don't specify how much time you must spend researching each day, nor does it say that researching the spell consumes spells each day like creating a magic item. It most likely assumes that there is a long enough downtime between adventures that these factors won't be a problem. I would say that you can perform your usual cleric-y duties as normal and devote your free time to research without penalty, so long as the DM isn't actively trying to screw you over.