PDA

View Full Version : Inspire Hate [3.5] Spell PEACH.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-07, 07:38 PM
I tried to get feedback on this a year ago and got none so I thought I'd try again.

Inspire Hate
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting] [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6, Cleric 7, Bard 6
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: All creatures in a 30-ft. burst.
Duration: 1 round levels (D); see text
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
"This spell allows me to exploit the petty prejudices of man. Minor grievance would escalate to murderous rage and oh, the sweet terror when the spell wore off and they saw their hands covered with their neighbor's blood."
―Kain

You channel the power of pure malice and hatred into the subjects of this spell causing even the most minor of grievances to escalate into murderous rage. Those who fail their will saves regard everyone else as hostile bitter enemies. This usually means attacking the nearest creature or group of creatures.(for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject's self). Every round the subject is allowed a new saving throw to shrug off the effects of the spell if they attack someone they previously saw as an ally.

Creatures effected by Inspire Hate also gain a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution, and a -2 penalty to AC it is otherwise identical to a barbarians rage.

A swarm effected by Inspire Hate will attack itself dealing the listed damage each round but without the additonal special effects its attack would normally have.

Edit: Added sengmeng suggestions
Edit2: Added Swarm effect.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-07, 08:00 PM
Hmm. Not sure of the balance, but I like it.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-07, 09:42 PM
Hmm. Not sure of the balance, but I like it.

Balance is the hard thing but a new save is allowed every round and the spell doesn't necessarily stop them from attacking you. Its certainly a step up from confusion but its also three levels higher.

Giegue
2012-11-07, 09:46 PM
Looks good to me, but I can't at attest to balance well since I suck at balancing stuff. I have a question for you, though. Mind if I poach this and add it to the spell list of my homebrew class? It's an evil, enchantment-focused spellcaster and I think this spell would mesh perfectly with it in both fluff and mechanics.

sengmeng
2012-11-08, 12:46 AM
I'd give them all the effects of a Rage spell as well, and only give them a save each round IF they attack someone they previously saw as an ally.

Otherwise, I like it.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-11-08, 12:50 AM
I'd give them all the effects of a Rage spell as well, and only give them a save each round IF they attack someone they previously saw as an ally.

Otherwise, I like it.

Mmm, seconded.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-08, 02:27 AM

Otherwise, I like it.Mmm, seconded.
Mmm, Thirded

Looks good to me, but I can't at attest to balance well since I suck at balancing stuff. I have a question for you, though. Mind if I poach this and add it to the spell list of my homebrew class? It's an evil, enchantment-focused spellcaster and I think this spell would mesh perfectly with it in both fluff and mechanics.

The greatest gift a homebrewer can get is for others to use their work.

Silva Stormrage
2012-11-08, 03:15 PM
I honestly don't see this as needing to be this high of a level. I would reduce the level of the spell to 6th for cleric and wizards and 5th for bards.

This spell is almost strictly inferior to dominate person except that it works on any type of creature.

Thought this was single target. Its level is fine.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-08, 04:04 PM
I honestly don't see this as needing to be this high of a level. I would reduce the level of the spell to 6th for cleric and wizards and 5th for bards.

This spell is almost strictly inferior to dominate person except that it works on any type of creature.

Its also a 20ft radius which is a big advantage

Silva Stormrage
2012-11-08, 04:36 PM
Its also a 20ft radius which is a big advantage

Oh never mind. For some reason I was seeing this as a single target ability. It's level is fine right now.

Der_DWSage
2012-11-08, 05:24 PM
Hm. Best comparison to this spell I can think of is the Friend to Foe spell, PHB2, which is a level 5 spell. Similar, but...

With a new save every round, it's hard to call this overpowered. The only potential issue I see with this spell is it not getting used. I'm honestly on the fence about whether or not it should be bumped down a spell level, as it's sharing a slot with Mass Hold Person...but without the limit of humanoids only. But it's [Evil].

Ah well. It seems balanced to my eyeball, and as a GM, I'd be laughing myself silly if a mage's familiar was hit with this spell, and suddenly went for his...*Ahem* 'Spell Component Pouch.'

TuggyNE
2012-11-08, 10:42 PM
Hm. Best comparison to this spell I can think of is the Friend to Foe spell, PHB2, which is a level 5 spell. Similar, but...

With a new save every round, it's hard to call this overpowered. The only potential issue I see with this spell is it not getting used. I'm honestly on the fence about whether or not it should be bumped down a spell level, as it's sharing a slot with Mass Hold Person...but without the limit of humanoids only. But it's [Evil].

Arguably those indicate it should be bumped down a level; I believe friend to foe is harder to be immune to.

Ah well. It seems balanced to my eyeball, and as a GM, I'd be laughing myself silly if a mage's familiar was hit with this spell, and suddenly went for his...*Ahem* 'Spell Component Pouch.'

Familiars are specifically counted as part of one's self, so this wouldn't actually happen.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-08, 11:08 PM
Arguably those indicate it should be bumped down a level; I believe friend to foe is harder to be immune to.
Friend to Foe also ends after you first deal damage so at best its a short term distraction. And I don't really see how its easier to be immune to Inspire Hate.
Protection from Evil only suppresses spells that grant the caster on going control. Confusion, Suggestion, Irresistible Dance don't give on going control neither does Inspire Hate. So aside from the resistance bonus its not that helpful.

TuggyNE
2012-11-09, 12:17 AM
I don't really see how its easier to be immune to Inspire Hate.
Protection from Evil only suppresses spells that grant the caster on going control. Confusion, Suggestion, Irresistible Dance don't give on going control neither does Inspire Hate. So aside from the resistance bonus its not that helpful.

Certain creature types are flat-out immune to mind-affecting spells, and mind blank is only another spell level up. (On the other hand, true seeing is a couple of levels down. Hmm.)

But hey, it is a little more effective than friend to foe, I guess, so suggestion withdrawn.

Hanuman
2012-11-09, 12:40 AM
Sounds like a pathfinder curse, I'd use them for balance references.

TopCheese
2012-11-09, 08:25 AM
Does Protection from Evil stop this spell from working? Since this spell has an ongoing duration of influence on a PC I know most of my DMs would rule PfE stops it.

If so then I don't see it being broken or over powered, you could hit commoners with this spell but most adventuering folk may have a constant PfE on them.

I love it though :D Nothing better than to cause chaos on the battlefield. This spell really represents the scenes (in movies, books, shows, etc) where the bad guy turns the main characters against each other.

Lord Vukodlak
2012-11-09, 12:52 PM
Does Protection from Evil stop this spell from working? Since this spell has an ongoing duration of influence on a PC I know most of my DMs would rule PfE stops it. b
Most DM's would be wrong then. Protection From Evil stops compulsion effects that grant the caster ongoing control over the subject The caster of Inspire Hate has no control over the subjects, like Insanity or Confusion it induces a mental state.
If people kept to a strict reading of the spell PfE wouldn't be seen nearly as powerful.