PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Moments of Creativity

BTB
2012-11-08, 06:41 AM
I played a session the other day in which we fought a phoenix. After a fairly labored battle, we destroyed it, only for it to rise again because none of us had a means of destroying it's ashes. We'd been quite weakened at this point, and one of the other players quipped that "Well, we're screwed." The GM then told us this was our punishment for not being creative enough to think of a way to destroy the ashes.

In response to this, the group fighter leaped onto the phoenix as it began to rise, and produced an item known as a Tree Feather Token, then shoved it down the phoenix's throat and activated it.

For those unfamiliar with this item.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/feather-token/tree-token

Needless to say, we didn't hear from the phoenix again.

So what are the most creative uses your players have come up with for items? I know there's been a lot of shenanigans with bags of holding and the like, so I'm sure some people have a few good stories about what they did with a generally ordinary item.

Morrolan
2012-11-08, 07:13 AM
Heh, nice story.

One of my friends playing a barbarian used to throw a magically resizing rowboat at people, does that count?

gallagher
2012-11-08, 07:18 AM
sometimes I like to literally create some of my own equipment. I draw up/write up magical (sometimes mundane) stuff that I would have legitimate use for

on that note, I dont know which is my favorite moment of me, inventing rocket skates and distributing them to an army, or recreating the Mach 5

just kidding, its totally the rocket skates

Azoth
2012-11-08, 07:33 AM
While not the most creative or even legal thing a group i was in has done, I remember the fun to be had with my huge sized brute in a party of medium and smaller characters. On more than one occassion party members willingly or unwillingly became amunition to destroy enemies.

At one point I shot our succubus out of my greatbow (because I ran out of ammo and couldn't close in on the enemy due to terrain) while she dual wielded her shortswords to make herself prettymuch a guillotine arrow cutting through the enemy line.

Another time our spiked full plate wearing paladin became the equivelance of catapult ammo when I hurled him to catch upto an enemy that was fleeing faster than we could run.

Dragon Shaman got tossed straight up so he could cone blast a horde of enemies surrounding the two of us...and hit me in the crossfire.

After a while...the party started getting items to reduce fall damage, and invested heavily in healing items. It was a blast though. Found a use for a massive str/carry capacity that didn't involve ubercharging or hurling a +1 returning planetoid.

Uhtred
2012-11-08, 08:25 AM
Had a party caster use a Rod of Wonder as his mainline weapon in combat. Unbeknownst to us, the DM had added the Gender Swap ability for a 2% window in the probability table for the Rod of Wonder, and the caster ended up rolling exactly that during a showdown with what was essentially a badass barbarian biker gang. He turned their leader into a lady who failed his concentration check not to be distracted by his gender swap, and failed a further Will save not to be distracted by some newly acquired jiggly bits. Then his men failed THEIR Will saves because their leader's 18 Charisma score had swapped from "ugly and intimidating" to "well-stacked and hot." The DM rolled percentiles to see how lonely they were. They were VERY lonely.

Togo
2012-11-08, 08:27 AM
Pop goes the weasel

We were fighting an Athatch. It was in a room, we had retreated into a small diameter pipe running into the room. It could just reach us 10' down the pipe. We were getting pretty beaten up, so the druid summoned a dire weasel to block the pipe, and then used a tanglefoot bag to stick the weasel in place. The Atchatch reached in to attack us, and the weasel bit him, trigger its attach ability. The Athatch couldn't get his arm back, couldn't pull the weasel free of the tanglefoot bag, and the DM had already ruled that the pipe was only wide enough for him to fit one of his arms down it.

We ended up frantically healing the weasel and ourselves, while the Atatch tried to full its arm free, loosing con all the time. He eventually pulled it free and killed it, but the delay meant we won the fight.

DigoDragon
2012-11-08, 08:29 AM
The party was exploring a wizard's tower and had found a dark treasure room that supressed magical light. The party rogue tried feeling his way around for traps and bumped into a gelatinous cube with Greater Invisibility.
The cube's reaction is not a mystery.

The rest of the party hear the muffled rogue getting swallowed by something, but it's too dark to effectively see him and they can't see the geletinous cube at all (As DM, I ruled that the rogue wasn't turned invisible by being engulfed since the party was low level, giving them a fighting chance to find him).

The party druid lit a torch to try and find the invisible cube (umm...), but the rogue was able to get out his hand mirror and reflect the torchlight. Immediately the ranger, cleric, and wizard aimed for the light and blasted the cube open. The rogue survived. Barely.

thorr-kan
2012-11-08, 11:14 AM
I'm running a 2ED Al-Qadim campaign, focusing heavily on the religious hierarchy. They tend to talk when they should fight. They EVANGALIZE. They’re SUCCESSFUL. They’re converting genies to mortal religions. It’s disturbingly effective.

“Have you tried Kor? We have PAMPHLETS.”

prufock
2012-11-08, 11:43 AM
In response to this, the group fighter leaped onto the phoenix as it began to rise, and produced an item known as a Tree Feather Token, then shoved it down the phoenix's throat and activated it.

You could also have planted the tree on its ashes >:D

BTB
2012-11-08, 12:29 PM
@Morrolan: I assume with the Swan Boat feather token? Our DM ended up houseruling that you couldn't activate feather tokens in the tokens were in midair. Stories like the above happened to get around that.

@Uhtred: Whe the DM is rolling loneliness percentages, you've either won the game or lost entirely.

@DigoDragon: A compelling argument for carrying random crap around, just in case.

@prufock: Stone floor. If we tried to plant it, it would've just fallen over.

Karoht
2012-11-08, 12:40 PM
Deciding that the entire concept of my new Sorcerer character was to keep the fact that he's a Sorcerer completely hidden from everyone, even the party.
They think he's a Dwarven Cleric with the Trickery Domain (specifically an Archivist). Lets hear a cheer for Illusions, Alter Self, one Scroll of Planeshift (bound into a Holy Tome) and the Razmiran Priest Archetype!

Also, not my trick but worth mentioning.
Still Spell + Silent Spell + Invisible Spell + Grease
Amazing pranking potential.

Kansaschaser
2012-11-08, 01:00 PM
I was DM'ing a campaign when the following happened:

My players were riding on an air ship when it was attacked by a Colossal White Dragon. Amazingly, the halfling rogue is the only PC that failed his reflex save to not fall off the edge of the air ship.

As a half dozen NPC's fall to their doom, the halfling rogue calmly leans back and enjoys a nice slow fall to the ground since he's wearing a ring of feather fall.

The Dragon sees the slow falling halfling and swoops around for another pass. The White Dragon decides to swallow the halfling whole (since halflings are his favorite meal).

The player of the halfling looks at me and asks what he can do to cut his way out of the dragon's gut. I told him he can only weild small items in this small space.

The player looks down at his list of items and a wide grin spreads across his face as he asks, "Can I activate my Wand of Fireballs (10th level)?"

I tell him "Yes, but you will automatically fail the reflex save to avoid the damage since you are immobilized inside this stomach."

He then points out his other ring, the one of Fire Immunity.

Needless to say, that White Dragon had some killer heart burn after eating that halfling. :smallamused:

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-11-08, 04:17 PM
While not legal (the Dm played loosely with the rules), we were doing a cinematic battle. The barbarian has a hammer that hits everything in a straight line from where he throws it and it always returns to him. At this point he also has a 120ft fly speed. On his turn he rages and throws the hammer. He then flies in a straight line following it's path and lands on the opposite side of it. So instead of hitting everyone in a 20ft line he nailed everyone in a 120ft line. He was so pleased with himself.

mattie_p
2012-11-08, 04:25 PM
We were playing a 2E Forgotten Realms campaign. Our party was stumbling through some city sewers in search of the MacGuffin when we come across a shrine to Mask (the Deity of Thieves). It was unoccupied and our party rogue decides to loot the place. Statues come alive, stone golems. We think we're hosed.

I immediately run up to the altar and grab the scrolls/scriptures from on top. To draw their attention, I shout some nonsense and start to wipe my rear end with the scrolls. DM's jaw drops. The golems approach, and I toss the scrolls across the room to my buddy, who does the same thing. DM's jaw is on the floor at this point. So the golems go over to him. We played keep away with the scrolls while everyone loots the place, then we get out of dodge in one piece.