PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beaver-like creature?

Uncle Pine
2012-11-08, 08:11 AM
As the title implies, I'm looking for either an official stat block of a beaver or a homebrewed one. Giant beaver, dire beaver and all the beaver-like creatures you can find are also welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

Gwendol
2012-11-08, 09:01 AM
I think it's safe to say many of us are in search of beaver.

nedz
2012-11-08, 10:06 AM
These existed in AD&D, but seem to be absent in 3.5 ?

I guess you'll have to make your own, which shouldn't be all that hard.
You could just tweak the stat block for Badger or something.

Uncle Pine
2012-11-08, 12:07 PM
These existed in AD&D, but seem to be absent in 3.5 ?

I guess you'll have to make your own, which shouldn't be all that hard.
You could just tweak the stat block for Badger or something.

I was wondering if there was a stat block because I'm trying to come up with a way to build a mammal race that has lot of feature in common with beavers. I'll probably just adjust the anthropomorphic badger to fit an acquatic environment. Thank you! :smallwink:

Zombulian
2012-11-08, 12:10 PM
I was wondering if there was a stat block because I'm trying to come up with a way to build a mammal race that has lot of feature in common with beavers. I'll probably just adjust the anthropomorphic badger to fit an acquatic environment. Thank you! :smallwink:

You could probably substitute the Sea Otter stats from Stormwrack. Stat-wise I don't know what would separate a beaver and an otter.

toapat
2012-11-08, 12:13 PM
You could probably substitute the Sea Otter stats from Stormwrack. Stat-wise I don't know what would separate a beaver and an otter.

bite damage
beavers will ignore wood hardness with their natural attacks
beavers have racial Knowledge: (Architecture and Engineering)
Swim speed
cuteness.

ravagerofworlds
2012-11-08, 12:23 PM
Sidewinder Recoiled d20 has beaver stats; I found a textual version by googling "d20 beaver" and it popped up as a scribd file (like 4th result). It has a species trait of "diver" and a +8 racial bonus for swimming. The stats seem decent- similar to a wild dog. Check it out- maybe it will help you for the base animal, then you can apply Dire template on top.

Urpriest
2012-11-08, 05:00 PM
Sandstorm's Diprotodon is sort of beaver-ish.

toapat
2012-11-08, 05:03 PM

that is a Dire Wombat though

Telonius
2012-11-08, 11:25 PM
A few weeks ago I put together a "Phineas and Ferb" themed platypus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14135049) homebrew... the stats could probably fill in for a beaver as well. Maybe add a Bite attack, or Craft(dam). (As far as anything else official, I am NOT getting in trouble with my wife for trying to Google "D&D beavers").

Platypus Beaver: CR —; Diminutive animal;
HD 1;
hp d8 (8 at first); Init +1
Spd 15 ft.; Swim 30ft
AC 15, (10+4 size + 1 dex) touch 15, flatfooted 14;
Base Atk +0; Grp –16
Atk +5 melee (BAB 0 + 1 dex + 4 size)(1d6-4 damage tail slap);
Full Atk +5 melee (1d6-4 damage tail slap);
Space/Reach 1 ft./0 ft.;
AL any
SV Fort +2 (Base 2 + 0), Ref +3(Base 2+1dex), Will +1 (Base 0 +1Wis);
Str 3, -4. Dex 12, +1. Con 10, +0. Int 6, -2. Wis 12, +1. Cha 5.-3
Skills and Feats: Hide +13 (+12 diminutive +1 dex), Listen +5 (4 racial+1 Wis), Spot +5(4 racial+1 Wisdom); Escape Artist +5 (4 ranks + 1dex)
Feat: Weapon Finesse.

Dr.Epic
2012-11-08, 11:49 PM
I'd just modify the stats of a dire rat or dire badger. Give it a bonus to swim, and a tail attack.

Zombulian
2012-11-09, 12:29 AM
bite damage
beavers will ignore wood hardness with their natural attacks
beavers have racial Knowledge: (Architecture and Engineering)
Swim speed
cuteness.

What about bite damage? I'll have you know that otters have some of the strongest jaws in the world, just behind hyenas, who regularly crack bones with their teeth for the marrow.

nedz
2012-11-09, 08:38 AM
Treasure: Wood pulp, Fur. The latter being quite valuable.

Talya
2012-11-09, 09:11 AM
I think it's safe to say many of us are in search of beaver.

You can't have mine.

Uncle Pine
2012-11-09, 11:41 AM
Sidewinder Recoiled d20 has beaver stats; I found a textual version by googling "d20 beaver" and it popped up as a scribd file (like 4th result). It has a species trait of "diver" and a +8 racial bonus for swimming. The stats seem decent- similar to a wild dog. Check it out- maybe it will help you for the base animal, then you can apply Dire template on top.

I think I'll go with this one, although I'll have to double-check why the hell beavers have a penalty to their craft check when they are supposed to be good at building dams and wooden lodges.

Fantastic! This will make a really interesting racial mount as soon as I fix it a bit.

Thank you all for the suggestions, should you find other material about beavers* feel free to share it!

* I'm talking about the animals. :smallwink: