PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Racial Herritage, Gnome Raised Rapper

Axier
2012-11-08, 11:02 AM
The Feat Racial Heritage (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/advancedFeats.html#racial-heritage), allows a human to function as another race, sorta.

I was wondering if there was any way to use it to use the Favored Class Racial bonuses of the other race?

The feat is not actually necessary for the favored class bonus, it would just be kinda useful. Basically I am making a rapper build for an E6 PF Campagin, and want to get some opinions on the character, as well as ask that question.

The build is straight Bard, with the Demagogue and Sound Striker archetypes. Im looking for Trait recommendations and Feat choices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Character Concept: Rapps (Perform:Oratory) about dat hustle and flow (Inspire Courage), gathers people with his fame, for impromptu concerts, in the streets. Incites crouds with his lyrical works on "The Man" (Demagogue 6th level ability), as well as wipe the floor with any sucka fool enough to roll up on him, using his illest lyrics to break their bones, words cutting like razors (Sound Striker 6th level ability.)

Also, thinking about hiring a low level expert to follow him around beat-boxing, what would be a good perform skill for beatboxing?

*Edit: I am also aware that the Archetypes don't normally fit together.

Blyte
2012-11-08, 11:23 AM
I think racial heritage would definately give you that option. Very much in the spirit of the feat.

Also, that's a great concept for sound striker.

edit: I'm curious how you read the sound striker's level 6 ability, because it seems pretty powerful, how I'm reading it at least.

Axier
2012-11-08, 01:44 PM
Sadly, its not quite as powerful as it sounds.

It is a Supernatural ability, which would suggest that it actually doesn't need you to say anything, and would function in anything but an AMF.
It also gets past DR and SR because it is Supernatural..

The biggest problem is that it has a saving throw, for EACH word, whether or not you hit the same target with more than one, or split them up between various targets. ((Fortitude Half))

While it does potentially 1d8+CHA*Level (MAX 10), it has a fort save for EACH one... Its not broken really.

BTB
2012-11-08, 03:41 PM
Yeah, and almost any enemy with DR would have a fort save to match. I've actually been working on a Sound Striker build myself (Billy Mays-esque character) so perhaps I can help with that, although I'm not familiar with E6.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/general-feats-filter

Filter for "Perform" in the benefits stuff to find some bard feats. I'm a fan of spellsong and discordant voice myself.

Traits aren't something I'm as familiar with, though Aspiring Bard (Racial trait for humans) is a nice one.

Beatboxing is something I'd ask the DM about, see if you can get an instrument free percussion perform. Instruments are a double edged blade, so he should be fine with it.

Blyte
2012-11-08, 03:45 PM
I think it's pretty darn OP, and anyone would be silly not to trade suggestion for it.

it would seem you could potentially do [(level x d8) + (level x CHA mod.)] save vs. fort for 1/2.

so at level 6, doing 78 potential damage to a single target. (20 Cha)

...102 with a +4 CHA item and point blank shot and +2 E6 CHA feat

sure it's RTA and save for 1/2, but it's a bard doing damage that would rival a sorcerer built to blast could do.. if not beating them.

perhaps a tatooed dual blooded orc+primal(fire) sorcerer doing empowered scorching rays, with bonus caster levels+magical lineage+etc... could match them.

they would be getting hmmm...

8d6+16(bloodlines)+2(point blank) + 50%(empower) = 99

that's RTA with no save, but more critters having immunities/resists, and giving up their 3rd level spells (much bigger sacrifice than suggestion in e6).

I think you made a solid character decision for E6. Very strong all around.

edit: heck it's solid clear to level 20, I'd love to be doing 20d8 + (CHA x20) to a single target. that's 370 avg damage with a +13 stat mod and point blank shot.

Acanous
2012-11-08, 07:42 PM
It doesn't bypass DR.

Weird Words (Su): At 6th level, a sound striker can start a performance as a standard action, lashing out with 1 potent sound per bard level (maximum 10), each sound affecting one target within 30 feet. These are ranged touch attacks. Each weird word deals 1d8 points of damage plus the bard's Charisma bonus (Fortitude half), and the bard chooses whether it deals bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage for each word. This performance replaces suggestion.

It's not even sonic damage. It's bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing, chosen by the bard.
So things with DR would get DR, but things with Resistance (Sonic) wouldn't. At least, from how I'm reading that.

Blyte
2012-11-08, 08:38 PM
from what I've read, that's correct. It does bypass SR, but not DR.. unless of course the DR is bypassed by the chosen damage type, IE skeleton 5/blunt.

Wyntonian
2012-11-08, 08:55 PM
Just checking, but does Wordstrike have any sort of range increment or limit? Or does distance not matter at all? This has the potential to be terrifying.

grarrrg
2012-11-08, 09:47 PM
Just checking, but does Wordstrike have any sort of range increment or limit? Or does distance not matter at all? This has the potential to be terrifying.

Two posts up someone quoted it "each sound affecting one target within 30 feet".

A few things to remember though;
1. Its useful life is limited. Bard's don't get it until level 6, and the number of 'sounds' is capped at 10. After that, level does nothing, and each point of CHA adds, at most, +10 damage total.

2. You must do it as a Performance, meaning you can't (normally) have other performances active. So you can't Weird Word while you Inspire Courage.

3. It's totally wrecked by DR, as each word hits separately. This isn't as big a concern, however, as it falls under the category of "don't cast Fireball on a Fire-Immune".

Blyte
2012-11-08, 10:16 PM
10d8 + (Cha Mod x 10), so if you think your campaign caps around 12 or lower, it's still an AMAZING ability.

it's only wrecked by DR if you don't take the "clustered shots" feat.. or the DR is not bypassed by magic, slash, pierce, blunt.

if I took this ability you can bet I would already have the pre-reqs to this feat, "point blank" and "precise shot". then at level 9 it would be a no brainer taking "clustered shots".

Wyntonian
2012-11-08, 11:04 PM
Two posts up someone quoted it "each sound affecting one target within 30 feet".

No, that's "Weird Words", the 6th level ability. I'm looking at:

Wordstrike (Su): At 3rd level, the sound striker bard can spend 1 round of bardic performance as a standard action to direct a burst of sonically charged words at a creature or object. This performance deals 1d4 points of damage plus the bard’s level to an object, or half this damage to a living creature.

grarrrg
2012-11-08, 11:25 PM
No, that's "Weird Words", the 6th level ability. I'm looking at:

Ah.
Presumably "within hearing distance", or "sight range", as it is 'sound based'.
But you are correct that it is lacking a specific Range...

Acanous
2012-11-08, 11:36 PM
...Wow. There isn't a range incriment. At all. Heck, there's only an insinuation of damage type (Sonically charged). I mean, you're still going to need LoE, but I see no reason why you couldn't Fus-Ro-Dah across a battlefield with this.

BTB
2012-11-08, 11:49 PM
It actually counts as a type of Bardic performance, and pretty much all of those are a 30 foot range.

Wyntonian
2012-11-10, 04:41 PM
It actually counts as a type of Bardic performance, and pretty much all of those are a 30 foot range.

Pretty sure there's a formal name for this fallacy, but I can't remember it.

Suffice it to say that in the rules, that ain't good enough.